Wasted Spark Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasted Spark Wiring

Ok well I just completed my 2.7i build and in the process I made the jump over to MegaSquirt. The TPS and IAT are working fine but the wasted spark portion isn't. I'm pretty confident in my wiring skills so I feel my problem lays within the ecu settings. Initially I had the green wire from the single coil as the power source but quickly realized it doesn't supply 12v. So I cut that and spliced in a wire from the positive distribution block (constant 12v). Still didn't solve the problem.
    Here is my wiring:

And here are my settings I got from a post I found on a E28 forum:

Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by blood_sweat_&_gears View Post
    Ok well I just completed my 2.7i build and in the process I made the jump over to MegaSquirt. The TPS and IAT are working fine but the wasted spark portion isn't. I'm pretty confident in my wiring skills so I feel my problem lays within the ecu settings. Initially I had the green wire from the single coil as the power source but quickly realized it doesn't supply 12v. So I cut that and spliced in a wire from the positive distribution block (constant 12v). Still didn't solve the problem.
    Here is my wiring:

And here are my settings I got from a post I found on a E28 forum:

Any help would be appreciated.
    Well i got it sparking. I have it still wired to constant 12v but it seems to still be sparking even when the car is off. Any thoughts? It still wont start though I played with the timing and I'm to a point where 4 degrees will just make it start to sputter then die.

Comment

You can use the 12v feed to the old single coil and it will be switched with the IGN

There is a output test mode in TunerStudio that you can test each spark channel to make sure you have them paired up correctly

What does the AFR read when it is trying to run?
      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
        You can use the 12v feed to the old single coil and it will be switched with the IGN

There is a output test mode in TunerStudio that you can test each spark channel to make sure you have them paired up correctly

What does the AFR read when it is trying to run?
        ok wired it back up to the switched 12v feed from the oil green coil wire. I have been using the I/O tests. I wanted the get spark first before re-attempting to crank over the motor again. The AFR isn't really accurate at this point because the down pipe isn't bolted up to the headers at the moment. The only sparking I get now is 2 quick sparks when I turn the key from off to acc, not even cranking the motor. All the wires are fine and the plugs are new. I continuity check every plug wire before installing. I should need to change any other setting besides single coil to wasted spark correct? Obviously i'll adjust the dwell and things once started.

Comment

Does the wasted spark pin need to be jumpered?

Comment

Originally posted by blood_sweat_&_gears View Post
            Does the wasted spark pin need to be jumpered?

http://i.imgur.com/1scSMWi.jpg
            I have not worked with that ECU, I am sure there are hardware configurations needed. Does it have the additional ign drivers?

Also forgot to mention you might want to look into your #1 tooth angle, I think you will want to be closer to 84* but a timing light will be best to verify.

Also a little hotter dwell for cranking may help with starts
            My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

I have not worked with that ECU, I am sure there are hardware configurations needed. Does it have the additional ign drivers?
              Yes it has 3. They run to a 26 pin expansion plug on the back. Its the MSPNP2 v3.57 green board.

Comment

Can anyone confirm that these coils only need 5V signal? I'm starting to question the coils now as they were used but off a known working car. What are the chances all three crapped out though...

Comment

bump

Comment

Looks like you are using GM coilpacks, the coils need 12v power and the ECU grounds it
                    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Looks like you are using GM coilpacks, the coils need 12v power and the ECU grounds it
                      Im using MSD coil packs on a GM base. My ECU is putting out 5v not ground...

Comment

If you don't have ignition drivers built in then you need coils with built in ignitors or an external box like this - https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...nition-module/
                        My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

If you don't have ignition drivers built in then you need coils with built in ignitors or an external box like this - https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...nition-module/
                          The ECU has 3 drivers (good to 11A) in it and the coils have igniters in them. I'm wondering if the coils need to be bolted down in order to be grounded. I will report back in the morning if that is the case. Come Monday I will phone MSD to see what they have to say.

Comment

Well turns out I need an external igniter for these coils. The guys from DIYAutoTune say the coils are non-logic level and therefore require a QuadSpark or something similar. Waiting to hear back from MSD to confirm this.

Thanks WhodWho for your help.

Comment

Working...
                            X