No announcement yet.

M106 (E23 745i) in E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you could always run a Bell Engineering RRFPR and a TCD turbo chip if you don't want to mess with tuning. Local guy has an M30 with that setup running 400+hp

If you need M30/M106 turbo parts, I have the whole kit for $350 right now. JKust shoot me a PM

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Originally posted by Terror Factor View Post
      Sorry for bumping this, but I still have some new questions.
      What exactly is needed next to the megasquirt 2 kit to get the car up and running well?

The KDFi need a new tps sensor and I need to run a vac line to the ECU.

The MS2 (from extraefi.co.uk) can be bought as 'fuel only', or for a car with a distributor, or with wastes spark etc. See here: http://www.extraefi.co.uk/MS_All_products.htm
      To which one is the diyautotune unit(http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...unit-p-65.html) comparable?
      My neighbour goes to America multiple times a year, so it might be interesting to ask her to buy me one there.

This is de KDFi one: http://www.k-data.org/kdfi-1-4-basic.html (without the proper wiring) or http://www.k-data.org/kdfi-pnp-bmw-m30.html (with the m30 connector).

(EDIT: http://www.k-data.org/kdfi-1-4.html more specs of the coil/injector drivers)

How does this compare with the diyautotune and extraefi ms's?
      Would the wiring tutorial from http://wiki.diyefi.co.uk/index.php?t...S_Motronic_Box work on the KDFi, as the price difference between the standard unit and the m30 unit is quite big.

ExtraEFI quoted ~100 gbp for converting the MS to a M30 connector, which is about 130 euro.
      I don't know what kind of TPS the M30 has - you need one that is variable and not a switch. I know the M20 one does not work. On my m20 build, I used a GM TPS, but I think most people use the e36 TPS. As you said, for megasquirt to work, you need to wire it into the harness, use a different TPS, and run a vacuum line to the megasquirt. That really should be it. If you don't have a functioning intake air temp sensor, you'll need one of those too - AFTER the turbo & intercooler.

The DIYAutotune MS you linked is the same as the one for a car with a distributor, but it can also be run as a fuel only implementation. I believe you can request them to build it for wasted spark for a small fee which should be able to run in all three modes. Alternatively, you can the wasted spark parts in later - it's not too difficult.

The kDFi unit is about the same with electronic boost control, wideband controller, and wasted spark included. One caution is that the kDFi cannot be upgraded to MS3 just by swapping the CPU board. You should be able to wire he kDFi yourself without the m30 specific plug.
      1997 540i/6 - stock
      1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
      1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrix2k View Post
        I don't know what kind of TPS the M30 has - you need one that is variable and not a switch. I know the M20 one does not work. On my m20 build, I used a GM TPS, but I think most people use the e36 TPS. As you said, for megasquirt to work, you need to wire it into the harness, use a different TPS, and run a vacuum line to the megasquirt. That really should be it. If you don't have a functioning intake air temp sensor, you'll need one of those too - AFTER the turbo & intercooler.

The DIYAutotune MS you linked is the same as the one for a car with a distributor, but it can also be run as a fuel only implementation. I believe you can request them to build it for wasted spark for a small fee which should be able to run in all three modes. Alternatively, you can the wasted spark parts in later - it's not too difficult.

The kDFi unit is about the same with electronic boost control, wideband controller, and wasted spark included. One caution is that the kDFi cannot be upgraded to MS3 just by swapping the CPU board. You should be able to wire he kDFi yourself without the m30 specific plug.
        Thank you for the information. I've mailed them for a quote.

It seems that the KDFi is very interesting price-wise. A built MS from extraefi, able to run wasted spark, would be 445 pounds, which is roughly 540 euro. 40 euro more, and I'd still have to get a wiring harness.

Ordering from diyautotune might even things out, if my neighbour is willing to take it home for me.

The inability to upgrade to ms3 does not really concern me. I'd probably switch cars if I'd go for more, as I would have to change many other things as well (turbo/internals/exhaust manifold ideally).
        This is supposed to be a relatively low budget funcar :)

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrix2k View Post
          I don't know what kind of TPS the M30 has - you need one that is variable and not a switch. I know the M20 one does not work. On my m20 build, I used a GM TPS, but I think most people use the e36 TPS.
          Bump? I'd like to know your progress, if any.

For future reference you need a 6 pin TPS found on either an automatic e32/e34. I think one for an m50 with work as well, but don't quote me on that.

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
          Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Comment

I'm using the stock 745ecu for my swap. Inhave the team 745i chip, the modified wastegate amd the cartech rising rate fuel pressure regulator. All you need is a motronic bell housing from an e28 m535i and a getrag 265 the motronic bell housing will give you the two crank sensor mounts to make it all work. Witg this setuo you can safely run 16psi of boost IF your fuel system is 100%. You can hook up an air compressor line and set to regulato to 16psi and hook it to the cartech rising rate fuel pressure regulator. You will need it adjusted to 91psi of fuel pressure at 16psi boost. I was quite knowledgeable about these cars a few years back and have owned 3 745i's. Have any questions give me a call. Woth this setuo no tuning is needed. I can get the chip and wastegate for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by rochab77 View Post
              I'm using the stock 745ecu for my swap. Inhave the team 745i chip, the modified wastegate amd the cartech rising rate fuel pressure regulator. All you need is a motronic bell housing from an e28 m535i and a getrag 265 the motronic bell housing will give you the two crank sensor mounts to make it all work. Witg this setuo you can safely run 16psi of boost IF your fuel system is 100%. You can hook up an air compressor line and set to regulato to 16psi and hook it to the cartech rising rate fuel pressure regulator. You will need it adjusted to 91psi of fuel pressure at 16psi boost. I was quite knowledgeable about these cars a few years back and have owned 3 745i's. Have any questions give me a call. Woth this setuo no tuning is needed. I can get the chip and wastegate for cheap.
              Thanks for the offer! Have any experience with a m106 running Mega Squirt?
              Right now I have a Begi RRFPR and 30lbers among other things running my m106, but no chip. To be completely honest, we don't even know what ecu is running it. That's why I'm trying to convert to MS.

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
              Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Comment

Originally posted by Terror Factor View Post
                Hi all,

I'll probably be the owner of an 325i E30, with an M106 swap very soon.
                The M106 is basically a factory turbocharged M30.

The car has M20 wiring, M30 (535i) ECU, and (currently) tiny M20 injectors. The 745 ecu couldn't be used, as the engine has been converted from auto to manual, so the ECU didn't get a crankshaft signal. The gearboxes that have that sensor, are very rare, so the previous owner wanted to go another direction.

According to him, it needs bigger injectors and a map. He was planning on going standalone (kdfi, megasquirt based, apparently).
                Currently, you can only get the car to 2000 rpm, above that, it runs lean. He also has a wideband lambda. The bigger injectors of the 745 don't work, as they are low impedance injectors, and the ecu uses high impedance injectors.

I am very new to BMW's, and relatively new to tuning (did have an MX5 turbo, but also bought it). I'm not sure what would be the best way forward, and what I need.

I've been reading up on the Ostrich and the WAR chip. The Ostrich does look better, and is very cheap, but the WAR chip seems to be easier to get up and running. Or I could go KDFI/megasquirt/VEMS. But to be honest, I wouldn't even know where to take the car to get it tuned, as engine tuning is far from widespread here.

I am thinking about the Ostrich, figuring that if it doesn't work, I won't lose much money, and for that money, it's definitely worth a try, and it's pretty easy to install (the hardware side, that is). No other boards/chips/sensors/plugins needed, AFAIK.

The goal would be to run close to the max boost the engine can take on stock internals, which is quite high (low comp, forged pistons as standard). In numbers, I'm hoping to get it close to 500 hp.
                I am basing me on this 'guide': http://www.745i.avulan.eu/More/quickref.html

Any suggestions/ideas/tips?
                If you get the manual transmission from an e28 535i it has the two flywheel pickups and you can use the e23 745 ecu, just don't plug in the transmission harness.

Comment

Working...
                X