Lets get a publicly sponsored televised presidential debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets get a publicly sponsored televised presidential debate

Just as the title says. Not just between republicans and democrats but also between the libertarians and the green party and whomever else. Need some help. Does that sound like a good idea? Logistics? What would be the best way to title and word this in order to reach the greatest audience?

Lets Really Make America Great Again. Public Debates With All the Candidates.
    (kind of a joke)
    Or

Publicly Sponsored Presidential Debates with Candidates from all Major Parties

Edit: Logistics as in: How to either pressure the candidates or get them to participate willfully to a debate that hopefully won't have so many preconditions attached to it. Is appealing to reddit, twitter and youtube celebs a route? I'm going to try to figure out if a petition to congress, the white house or NPR even means anything too. Funding and organization would have to start from somewhere. Something like a true "grassroots" public effort might give this thing the legitimacy this thing needs who knows. I know it sounds stupid but I'm coming home from work and complaining and not doing shit about shit.
    Last edited by Dozyproductions; 07-20-2016, 09:07 PM.

I think this would be a good thing but not likely to happen--the candidates from the two major parties have nothing to gain (and plenty to lose) from including 3rd party candidates.

Comment

The problem is not so much to forum, but how it's presented to the public. (i.e. The Media )

They want a sh*t show, and will never give an open platform. TV is drama. It needs a winner/loser a good/bad guy. That's why their head pretty much exploded when Ross Perot was on the scene back in the day. They didn't know what to do with him - but they gladly accepted his checks for his "infomercial's"
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Im trying to work around these obstacles. Perhaps if this debate was legitimized to the point where the candidates had more to lose by not showing up, then this could work. If this was promoted as a grass roots debate by the people for the people and got a big enough movement to support it.

I contacted several senators from the Republican Liberty Caucus, including Rand Paul and Congressman Labrador, to see what possible approach could be taken through congress. Hell even a referendum or bill changing the rules where the CPD have to adhere to. I also contact NPR and some local news channels on advertising and organizing such an event.

Once I get a dialogue going with these congressmen/womens' offices then a plan can start becoming formulated. Public pressure cannot be done without the help of an over reaching support from social media. Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Reddit and etc. so that will all these other details will come in due time.

This is a long shot and most likely will go no where but I know that you guys want this and most likely so does the rest of the country. If enough of America wanted this perhaps DNP and the RNP wouldn't have a choice but to show up if they wanted to keep their poll numbers up. Who knows. This country is sold and bought and most people are fucking retards but that doesn't mean something like this has a 0% of happening... even if its .00000001%. Let me know if you guys have any ideas.
        Last edited by Dozyproductions; 07-20-2016, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I like you Dozy, you and I seem to have similar ideas. I was thinking about this more than a week ago, which I usually never post in this subforum, but was part of the reason why I bumped the GJ thread.

Can mainstream media be used? I don't really think so, maybe that's partial tinfoil - but then you lose a large portion of viewers if it's not on tv.

- Most Newer TVs have apps
          - Devices with apps

Does it need to really be done on CBS/NBC/CNN/ABC/FOX?

Make them air it the next day.

If they edit it to suit their needs and don't air the entirety - the internet blasts them. So begins the internet's real takeover of network television. I... may have binged Mr Robot too quickly?

You know who could really do well with this? A Netflix / Youtube / Google / Facebook live stream partnership or just one of them. Present it to people of the United States without commercial interruption. It would have to be pushed hard and early because it's not on TV - but it should be aired LIVE at primetime, with just how Facebook does it's "LIVE" video, with videos archived and view-able after they are no longer live.

Google's homepage with a countdown right on their home screen with link directly to the youtube video when it goes live. Other websites like Facebook/Reddit/All others could do the same. Youtube or Netflix could host it easily. The mediator would need to be more impartial than previous ones, but have the tact to actually handle all of the candidates. Fact checking with sources done real time. Hold them to their words with or without an audience at the event?

It could be done. A large petition for this could put enough pressure to actually see something done.

"MAKE DEBATES REAL, ER... GREAT AGAIN"
          Last edited by DEV0 E30; 07-26-2016, 11:21 AM.
          Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

I'd argue that Facebook shouldn't be on the list.

Facebook’s news section operates like a traditional newsroom, reflecting the biases of its workers and the institutional imperatives of the corporation. Imposing human editorial values onto the lists of topics an algorithm spits out is by no means a bad thing—but it is in stark contrast to the company’s claims that the trending module simply lists “topics that have recently become popular on Facebook.”
            [ Former Facebook Workers: We Routinely Suppressed Conservative News ]
            Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
              I'd argue that Facebook shouldn't be on the list.

[ Former Facebook Workers: We Routinely Suppressed Conservative News ]
              True, and I forgot - was it Facebook who purchased Youtube? Or was it Yahoo?

If you follow the money, it's true, there is the ability for bias to inject into this, but it would have to be squashed long before the cameras were rolling. The bandwith behind these already large and capable streaming platforms is what is needed. Again, why a real mediator would need to be found. Or more than one, since everyone would be said to be biased, but you can't make it about the mediators at that point.
              Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Working...
              X