3.0 stroker question on M54 pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.0 stroker question on M54 pistons

Im doing the 3.0 stroker on my M20 and am curious if i can use the M54 pistons if i shave them 2mm i know i can use them in a N/A build. But can they hold up to Boost? If I recall correctly the compression ratio being somewhere between 9.1 to 9.3. I need to know if the 2mm shaved pistons can handle 8-15 psi. Ive seen a M20 take 22 psi for over a year and not a single issue. it was KAmotors car and he drives the hell out of it before he switched to a M30. Let me know of any input you have thank you.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

If you're going 3.0L stroker turbo it's much more better to get a custom forged pistons..

why 3.0l and only 15 psi? What are your power goals? Assuming 15 psi could make 350hp or more, so completely stock m20 can handle it .. and if you're looking for decent torque curve then you can simply put on the m52/m54, b28/b30 crank and a turbo cam for example ..

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

For now I'm choosing 15 psi to see how the car handles it and once the car has proven itself I may go higher. As for power goals I know with the stroker turbo I can get over 400 hp with less boost than a stock m20.but here is my other problem. My car is an auto for now and I need the auto to last a little while so I can get all my manual parts. Once the manual is in there I want to see what I can push that m20 to for boost. So maybe 450 hp. And i figured on the stock m54 pistons they wouldn't work well Oh well. That means I'll have to ride around with a 2.5l for a while.

sigpic

Comment

Your auto trans wont last for one day @ 15 psi :p

Just wait for the manual and other goodies and do it right man ;)

And if yu're planning on somewhere around 450hp then don't waste your money on stroker build, m20 can make it, and why less boost? Boost is fun 8-) just turn it up and here are 450hp easily

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

Unless you got a power glide good luck with using an auto tranny. I'd just use the m54 crank and make me a 2.8 with some forged pistons. I hope you got deep ass pockets cause that won't be cheap

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

The auto trans would last a couple of months at like 10 psi Haha. And I'm saving for forged pistons with the info I've gathered. I'm looking at a. Extra 1000 for the manual conversion and another 5k in engine work so. I'll be blowing a lot of money on this car Haha. But it's worth every penny Damn it haha.

sigpic

Comment

shaving 2mm off pistons. I had the same idea once upon a time ago. I took the pistons to a machine shop and they told me that its possible but your engine will probably not last too long especially in a turbo application.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmer_man View Post
                The auto trans would last a couple of months at like 10 psi Haha. And I'm saving for forged pistons with the info I've gathered. I'm looking at a. Extra 1000 for the manual conversion and another 5k in engine work so. I'll be blowing a lot of money on this car Haha. But it's worth every penny Damn it haha.
                I've pretty clearly been told that putting anything at or above 250 crank hp turns the automatic into a pin-pulled hand grenade... I asked this question as one of the first few posts I even ever placed on R3V, and it was very clearly stated. As someone who's building a NA 3.0 stroker build thats targeting a over 300 whp all motor on 93 octane, trust me, just save your money and manual swap the car first. There's no need to go throwing money in the engine when you could potentially turn the car into a ticking tranny time bomb. Youre talking about the thing that connects your engine to your rear wheels here lol pretty serious component to just be willing to chance it on. Plus, believe it or not, if its a solid auto tranny, people could potentially want that. Not sure why they would, but it could maybe at least make you a hundred or so dollars back.

Also, if you shop around and keep your eyes open, you can probably find a good g260 manual and all of its needed parts for a solid margin less than a grand. I mean, there are entire cars I've seen sell for like $300 believe it or not... (not running and only good for parts of course).

Morale of the story, don't rush your build, do it right the first time, that way there's no ripping it apart to do it again and spending extra money that you could've saved. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                X