No announcement yet.

EPA trying to outlaw legal racing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus christ EPA, how about go even harder off the Coal and Gas industry for their emissions.

And I highly doubt Motorsport emissions are any worse then an average morning commute's emissions, when it comes to scale and amount.
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

^ how often does a track car get run compared to a road going car? Not often at all. And factories/power plants produce way more emissions than any car would

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
        Jesus christ EPA, how about go even harder off the Coal and Gas industry for their emissions.

And I highly doubt Motorsport emissions are any worse then an average morning commute's emissions, when it comes to scale and amount.
        Much easier to appear as though progress is being made when you can set your sights on a vulnerable demographic. They could with the stroke of a pen demand all new vehicles sold must meet an absurdly low level of emissions, and the industry would accommodate to maintain sales. It'd piss too many people off, so go after those damned racers!

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
          Much easier to appear as though progress is being made when you can set your sights on a vulnerable demographic. They could with the stroke of a pen demand all new vehicles sold must meet an absurdly low level of emissions, and the industry would accommodate to maintain sales. It'd piss too many people off, so go after those damned racers!
          Actually, if it's too restrictive, you end up with companies like VW pulling the stupid bullshit that they did with the TDIs.

Comment

itll never pass. nascar was founded on this shit. merica.

Comment

It amazes me that they even consider going after Motorsport when the production of most hybrid cars produces like 4x more harmful emission than that of a standard ICE car. Signed

-NICK

Comment

^
                When will you guys learn its not about saving the planet or emissions or even fucking reality, its about CONTROL over the population......

thats just it IT DOES NOT HAVE TO PASS...... The EPA can REGULATE how ever they wish, so long as they can justify it under existing law. Congress will have to step in and stop this, or it will have to be found by the courts to be out of the scope the law as written and intended by congress.

This is not going to affect NASCAR or INDY, or F1 or 90% of the pro drag circuit guys the outlaw sprints and modifieds etc.... Those are all scratch built purpose built race cars. This would all but out law SCCA, (other than Formula ford, CSR/DSR and similar purpose built classes) NASA, etc.. all the street based entry class Saturday night specials on oval track amateur racers, and all but the prototype classes in IMSA type competition.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed a regulation to prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into racecars
                Fun when the feds start coming after things you enjoy and care about isnt it, it really is too bad racing cars is not a right.....
                Last edited by mrsleeve; 02-09-2016, 12:41 PM.
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  This is not going to affect NASCAR or INDY, or F1 or 90% of the pro drag circuit guys the outlaw sprints and modifieds etc.... Those are all scratch built purpose built race cars. This would all but out law SCCA, (other than Formula ford, CSR/DSR and similar purpose built classes) NASA, etc.. all the street based entry class Saturday night specials on oval track amateur racers, and all but the prototype classes in IMSA type competition.
                  It will affect it. Its like kicking out the first rung of a ladder. Street built cars are the first step for most race car drivers. Street built car races fund race tracks around the country. Street car modification is a huge market of consumer money. 'Track tested' and marketed sports car are a huge part of the automotive industry's ability to sell cars. Hell, Nascar got its popularity because of the whole idea of 'wow, those cars they are racing are just like my car. I can own a race car'.

A terrible idea, all around.

Comment

when the govt comes after MY stuff its unreasonable............

be careful what you wish for
                    “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

And the same can be said for the gun side of things.. we just want to outlaw the military weapons.. you can have your hunting weapons.. right? Not good enough! Let them FUND a study that happens to lead to the banning of lead for use in ammo (PS, already tired) Think they would ever stop?

Same here, we just want the race cars.. not the souped up cars.. not your shadetree mechanic doing a motor swap.. not the guy with the turbo set-up.. no... just those evil race cars..

This is great to discuss. It will out a lot of the NIMBY folks. And let us ALWAYS follow the money trail. Who benefits from this? I will give you a hint, it ain't for your babies or grandchildren.
                      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

This is going to be put on the states to enforce, what stops your local state emissions tester from seeing your shinny new turbo set up that did not come from the factory in your car, and classifying it as a "race car" even though it still passes emissions for what it is supposed too.... I wonder if this is a way to get non emissions test states to start to have to enforce a FEDERAL emissions standard?????

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
                        It will affect it. Its like kicking out the first rung of a ladder. Street built cars are the first step for most race car drivers. Street built car races fund race tracks around the country. Street car modification is a huge market of consumer money. 'Track tested' and marketed sports car are a huge part of the automotive industry's ability to sell cars. Hell, Nascar got its popularity because of the whole idea of 'wow, those cars they are racing are just like my car. I can own a race car'.

A terrible idea, all around.
                        Trust me I get your arguments I am with you, but as written from what I can find is that the EPA is going after cars certified for road use ONLY and mostly seems intent on keeping the emissions controls in place... But the seems purposefully vague enough to be able to be applied to suspension mods or anything else but upgrading your radio or seats.

Originally posted by EPA
                        Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become non-road vehicles or engines; anyone modifying a certified motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine for any reason is subject to the tampering and defeat device prohibitions of paragraph (a)(3) of this section and 42 U.S.C.
                        Originally posted by EPA
                        Competition engines/equipment: (i) For uncertified engines/equipment that are excluded or exempted as new engines/equipment from any requirements of this chapter because they are to be used solely for competition, you may not use any of them in a manner that is inconsistent with use solely for competition.

thanks joplink
                        How far would the Environmental Protection Agency go to cut greenhouse emissions on vehicles? According to SEMA, the trade association that represents the automobile aftermarket industry, the EPA is working to ban the conversion of street cars into competition-focused racing vehicles.
                        Last edited by mrsleeve; 02-09-2016, 01:13 PM.
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Is this something that you guys think actually have a strong possibility of passing?

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

^

Again does not have to pass anything, EPA can do what it wants..... I see a strong court challenge though, and maybe just maybe the House will get involved.

William Pitt-

Comment

So its all in good faith that its just removing the rule breakers, even though the rules already exist.

But ambiguous enough that states could end up impounding cars for having different suspension.

GG?
                              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                              willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                                Signed and shared / spammed.
                                Sent to me - signed & circulated. Send this link to ALL your car buddy's!
                                [I

Comment

Working...
                                X