orlando shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

orlando shooting

i'm surprised no thread on this already.

it is a terrible event. and it happened for a terrible reason. if you have a problem with how LGBT people live, that is -your problem-... they are Americans and have the same right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness as anyone else.

what makes me more disgusted than anything else about this situation is that the feds had contact with the shooter... *twice*. guys like this are usually idiots about OPSEC. they present a wide profile, both online and in their personal lives, like this dude, who had his coworkers worried about his statements supporting ISIS.

i'm even more angry about the failure to act than i am about the tragedy itself.

isn't this what the various 3-letter agencies we give our billions of tax dollars to are supposed to be preventing?
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

What angers me the most (besides the obvious) is how this is going to be used to push an anti gun agenda. The problem with creating more laws in the name of safety is that people like this don't follow those laws. Look at the S.B. attack. They were rocking 30rnd magazines and no bullet button.

Comment

we came really close to having one of these things happen here at the airport in houston (terminal b) instead of shooting people, at the last minute the guy just shot a couple rounds into the ceiling. in the end, it was suicide by cop and the shooter was the only one that was killed or injured.

it makes me wonder about all the stuff in the media about this orlando shooter. was he really a self loathing closet gay? is it possible the FBI is just making that up to make isis look like a bunch of shit licking homos? when he goes to heaven (or mecca or whatever) will his 20 some virgins be little boys?

i will say that the ex wife that they keep interviewing on the news is pretty damn good looking.

in the end, we as a civilized society will never be able to compete with this ideology. they keep finding disenchanted destitute people who are willing to blow themselves up or die bloody deaths. they will go so far and beyond anything we are willing to do. i don't necessarily agree with the Israelis, but this makes an argument for fighting fire with fire the way they do.
      Last edited by flyboyx; 06-16-2016, 05:56 AM.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

What people need to realize about the gun control thing is. The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun. Is a good guy with a gun. Take all our guns away and when that one crazy mofo gets his hands on one it will be a whole lot worse cause no one will be able to stop him. Average police response time is 6 minutes. Any one with a will to kill can do a fuck ton of damage in that 6 min. This dude killed 49 and wounded like 50 others.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Disarm the public and I would put money on the odds that we see a huge increase in real terrorist attacks.
          No E30 Club
          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

nobody is suggesting taking all the guns away.

What's really ironic are the conservative memes floating around blaming Obama for letting somebody on a terrorist watch list purchase weapons that ended up being used in this attack. While at the same time, the conservatives in congress specifically blocked a bill that was meant to prevent exactly that from happening.

Originally posted by 4x4_e30 View Post
            What angers me the most (besides the obvious) is how this is going to be used to push an anti gun agenda. The problem with creating more laws in the name of safety is that people like this don't follow those laws. Look at the S.B. attack. They were rocking 30rnd magazines and no bullet button.
            Sure they do. The guns in this case were purchased legally. Of course it won't stop everyone but why not at least make it more difficult?
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Even if they do pass the bill to block new gun sales to people on a watch list (which has no due process element for those who are on the list) we still have a wide open used gun market for any fucking nutjob who wants to murder people en masse.

As far as the SB shooting, they have charged the shooter's friend Enrique Marquez for purchasing them. Not sure if it qualifies as a "straw purchase" or not because I'm not sure if the shooters were ineligible to purchase the guns.

In both of these cases, people were co-conspirators or knew the shooters were planning on doing something and did nothing to stop it.

Comment

The problem with dis-allowing people on lists to buy firearms is too many people are on the list without cause. Personally I'd be fine with a 24hr waiting period like handguns, because that would cut down a lot on the heat of the moment shootings, and potentially suicides.
                1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                  Even if they do pass the bill to block new gun sales to people on a watch list (which has no due process element for those who are on the list) we still have a wide open used gun market for any fucking nutjob who wants to murder people en masse.

As far as the SB shooting, they have charged the shooter's friend Enrique Marquez for purchasing them. Not sure if it qualifies as a "straw purchase" or not because I'm not sure if the shooters were ineligible to purchase the guns.

In both of these cases, people were co-conspirators or knew the shooters were planning on doing something and did nothing to stop it.
                  Brave I don't think you should speak from experience on the used gun market, cause you obviously don't have any. Many many states require you to transfer through an FFL, and gun shows, at least all of them i've been to in 3 different states, require the same thing, an FFL on site to transfer rifles and handguns and hold them for the waiting period.
                  willschnitz

Comment

RIP to all those people. Decay, you hit it on the head. Gays are just people in the end. In an interview, with 60 minutes, Morgan Freeman is asked about what he thinks about black history month. He responded that it's ridiculous that we have 1 month instead of all 12 months. aka: It's a hollow and a disingenuous gesture of making black people feel better. I think that the lgbt community, to some level, is getting treated the same way. Perhaps since their rights are still needed to be fought for that's an entirely different situation but just imo. So with this event, it's like a giant cat out of the hat in that regards.

It also sucks to hear the news, Obama, Trump, Clinton and all the other politicians use this as a platform for something else. It gave me hope when I turned on the tv and there was at least 15 seconds worth showing where and how people could donate blood and one airline giving free tickets to anyone that wanted to fly over and do so. Then it was back to guns guns, isis isis, aids aids, election election 2016, gays gays on a 24/7 loop. The news just builds a narrative as if they where shooting darts in the dark. Maybe at the age of 28, all the bright colors of CNN, MSNBC and FOX are just way too bright.

There is a sad trend in this country and it's best summed up by Rahm Emanuel (Mayor of Chicago), "You never let a serious crisis go to waste..."

That said, I have my skepticisms about the event but I'll keep them quiet. Just mentioning because there are some to be noted.

Comment

lol, of course it went to gun laws.

If there was no such thing as guns; they literally just didn't exist, would that some how transform this guy into a nicer person?

The bigger issue is the media coverage of acts like this. We teach people with serious mental issues that if you want the world to pay attention to you then you have to do something that gives a media outlet it's 'shock and awe' factor since that's all they can seem to report on.

Note I use the term 'media' and not 'news'.

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                        Brave I don't think you should speak from experience on the used gun market, cause you obviously don't have any. Many many states require you to transfer through an FFL, and gun shows, at least all of them i've been to in 3 different states, require the same thing, an FFL on site to transfer rifles and handguns and hold them for the waiting period.
                        Up until recently, Washington did not require any involvement of a FFL for private party unless it crossed state lines.

There's plenty of states that do not regulate private party sales within sate lines.

Comment

I haven't been following all the "news" since Sunday, I figure that's enough info for me before the politicians start using it for their agenda...

But is it pretty much accepted now that the (terrorist) was targeting gays or was it simply a target rich environment (or two birds with one stone situation)?

I think I saw the transcript of his 911 call and it seems like it was retaliation for the US sticking their nose in the Middle East (ISIS). I just haven't seen much evidence that he was ONLY trying to kill homosexuals.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                            Up until recently, Washington did not require any involvement of a FFL for private party unless it crossed state lines.

There's plenty of states that do not regulate private party sales within sate lines.
                            Have you been to gun shows? Even though not required by law most if not all of them have an FFL there, the people selling the gun don't want to be implicated in selling criminals guns. Believe me, far less of this anyone can buy a gun without checks goes on then you think it does. I have first hand experience, people are stingy about who they sell guns to.
                            willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                              Have you been to gun shows? Even though not required by law most if not all of them have an FFL there, the people selling the gun don't want to be implicated in selling criminals guns. Believe me, far less of this anyone can buy a gun without checks goes on then you think it does. I have first hand experience, people are stingy about who they sell guns to.
                              I'm not talking about gun shows, I'm talking about run of the mill private party sales.

32 states allow private party sales that do not require background checks.

Comment

Working...
                              X