How to check ARP head studs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to check ARP head studs?

I pulled a set of ARP head studs from my brother's turbo build, there are approximately 2,500-3,000 miles on them. I am parting out the build and wanted to know how to check the ARP studs to be sure they are still within proper spec? The motor overheated and the turbo oil feed blew off, I'm not familiar with ARP studs and not sure if they are functional and worth selling. He had an MLS gaskets installed and it looked to be intact but I don't know if that has any bearing on the condition of the studs.

I'm no expert but from what ive read they are reusable, but ill let some with more experience answer that but if they are good and you selling them I would defiantly buy them

Comment

measure length
      www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
      2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlevy7 View Post
        measure length
        I didn't think it was that easy but I guess its time to get the calipers out and measure. I cannot find a reference though for their proper length. Most of the vendors that sell them don't list the measurements.

Comment

Originally posted by PA_Welder View Post
          I'm no expert but from what ive read they are reusable, but ill let some with more experience answer that but if they are good and you selling them I would defiantly buy them
          I have yet to find out the proper length to measure the stud but I'll keep you in mind if/when I find out the information.

Comment

unless you measured them new then you will probably never know with enough accuracy if they have stretched. i dont think the head studs have the right maching detail on the bottom like the rod bolts do for properly measuring stretch to a fine tolerance? ill have a look at the studs i have waiting to be used when im at home
            Last edited by digger; 07-28-2016, 03:45 PM.
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

assuming these are m20 studs 165.24mm is what i measured, i checked a few and they were for all intensive purposes the same
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                assuming these are m20 studs 165.24mm is what i measured, i checked a few and they were for all intensive purposes the same
                Thank you for the reference measurement, the ARP studs were already installed with the turbo build when my brother bought the car.

Comment

Working...
                X