Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can engine stay lifted by the bracket in front of the valve cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can engine stay lifted by the bracket in front of the valve cover?

Hey, I'm replacing the front subframe and have a couple questions to ask regarding lifting the engine. I'll be suspending the engine using an engine support bar and some chain.

I'm well aware of the handy bracket in front of the valve cover that most people use to lift their engine. Is there any other point I should use to suspend the engine or is that bracket just fine by itself?

Also I plan on doing some underbody paint/rust repair/winterizing while I have the subframe out and everything is accessible. I was planning on the underbody work taking a couple of days, will the engine be fine if its supported by the front bracket for 2-3 days? will the bracket bend? any other worries?

It seem's that it should be fine given that the engine is still linked to the transmission, but I wanted to get some more experienced opinions on it first.

I've bent mine pulling it out with th e engine hoist. I didn't trust it after, so I got a tow strap with 2 hooks and put the hook part in the holes of each motor mount arm and jacked it up.

Comment

Im not pulling the engine, just supporting it where it is when i pull the subframe...

Comment

As long as you load the bracket intelligently (i.e. in the plane that it itself creates) you can leave it hanging from that single bracket forever.

The bracket is going to bend when its loaded at an angle. Avoid this and you are golden.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
          As long as you load the bracket intelligently (i.e. in the plane that it itself creates) you can leave it hanging from that single bracket forever.

The bracket is going to bend when its loaded at an angle. Avoid this and you are golden.
          Awesome! thanks a lot

Comment

the bracket is meant for lifting the engine, so you should be fine.

and yeah, it will bend if you load out out of plane, but even that isn't that big of a deal (unless you really get crazy and the bolts pull out of the head or something).
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I had it lifted by that bracket for three days while I cleaned the engine and subframe and replaced the pan gasket. Piece of cake, no issues.

For the record, I didn't work on the car nonstop for three days.
              Last edited by ELVA164; 12-15-2016, 05:48 AM.
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
              X