X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wanna be a, balla....
    My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Does anyone have an actual DIY on the separation of the lense from the housing? I wanted a simple guidline to follow pertaining to the actual taking apart of the headlights.
      Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

you put them in the oven----completely stripped for about 20 min. at 100deg.C. then you pry them apart very gently. a very good exacto knife and heatgun really help alot to if you have em. i have broken alot of lenses too, so its not for the weak at heart type. a

the inner cross hairs arenot plactic, they are metal!!! I am pretty sure the plastic will melt.

yes, you can do it to the us elips too.

ive said it a hundred times before. they sell a kit on german ebay with the cross hairs and black paint fairly cheap-- do it with the kit! im pretty sure they ship world wide. about 45 dollars i think.
        here are a few pics of the lights i have done. I have done atleast 10 sets to date. not trying to take over your thread, just give some good info to you all.
        Attached Files

Comment

Did everyone forget about my PDF file?

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Mike's is probably the only DIY job I've seen that looks anything like the real thing. good work!
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

thats cause it is the exact same thing as the real thing! I had a set of broken origional black ones, and disected the crap out of em, and with alot of patience, you can do it. order the kit from ebay, or pm me if you cant find it.

by the way jordan, your PDF is great, it was just to expensive for me to find a metal shop to bust off a few sets off it.

a couple other pics of sets i did. the tourings went all over the place when the nephew cracked it up! the french set is made from (original) backings, with the french lenses.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by mikeedler; 01-08-2006, 02:36 PM.

Comment

wow. I just did mine, but they look kinda shitty. They looked pretty bad before anyways. How do you glue the black thingy into the highbeam bucket and how do you glue the lenses back onto the bucket cleanley?

'05 Jetta TDI
                '87 325iS: Facelift, Hella Smoked Ellipsoids (RIP)
                '80 320i: 500lbs lighter, Rally/Drifter (SOLD!:( )
                '90 Jetta: Stock Daily Driver (SOLD)

Comment

I use some german chassis glue, black. run a bead around it, put the lens on, put it in a vise overnight(not to tight), reseal around it onemore time, wiping it clean, and pop the outer ring on!
                  for the high beams, you need to drill 4 holes in the housing--just like the hellas--set the crosshairs in, and use the same glue on the holes in the housing--once again, just like the hellas.

Comment

Meh too much work, they're pre done for me anyways so i'm gonna leave em looking like they do now. Thanks for the help guys.

'05 Jetta TDI
                    '87 325iS: Facelift, Hella Smoked Ellipsoids (RIP)
                    '80 320i: 500lbs lighter, Rally/Drifter (SOLD!:( )
                    '90 Jetta: Stock Daily Driver (SOLD)

Comment

Just out of curiosity, and the fact that i have a spare set of refectors, im going to paint the refecltors and insterts [high beam] different colors and see what results i get; red, orange, yellow.

May be able to make frenched appearance tint with this, but i have a feeling the lows will look horrid with a yellow/orange reflector shining through the lense.

Either way, updates with pics later this week.

EDIT: NM too much friggen work... i post pics of them smoked
                      Last edited by Hick; 01-24-2006, 03:52 PM.

Originally posted by vlad
                      Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

thank god-- rainbow warrior! look everyone, i have rainbow headlights, all the honda guys are doing it!
                        please just do the black.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler
                          thank god-- rainbow warrior! look everyone, i have rainbow headlights, all the honda guys are doing it!
                          please just do the black.
                          no no no, i ment if there was a way to french em, it may be worth while, even tho laminex [sp?] is kinda cheap. Also, fruits that would like to see DTM style lights, red and blue... just an idea... bad one too.... STFU

Comment

DIY Smoked are super ghetto. Who runs those things?
                            Trevor Ely
                            '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
                            '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

Finished mine, just one decent pic...

Before: [Acually got these for 20 bucks!]

After: [Did break a lense, but i had another one to replace it]

Comment

SMOKIN!

exactly how hard is it to get the lenses off?
                                what did you use to paint the reflectors... did you paint anything else?

thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X