How long should it take for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long should it take for a swap?

I've got an automatic 1990 325ix which needs a new rear driveshaft... I was sceptical at first not beleiving a needed a whole knew shaft when the BMW dealer told me, so i took it to an individual mechanich who said that it indeed needs replacing, he also said that the best bet and what he would recomend is to use a new stock driveshaft from the dealer and have them do it. The only drawback is that the dealer wants over $1000 to do it.
    Whats the best way of going at this. Is a new driveshaft really the best thing to do or is there a way I can gaurantee myself a quailty used driveshaft? Are remade driveshafts jsut as reliable as new ones?

Hey what were the symptoms that happened that made you think you need a new rear driveshaft? I'm tryin to figure out what happened to my ix, and if you're symptoms are similar, its probly the same thing that happened to mine.. either that or the rear.. thanks, sorry I don't have any info on your topic :(
    Project e30 m3 starts now..... :D

Comment

a rackety popping sound under the dash and shakey at high speeds

also can i get a quick gestimation on how long it should take a pro to swap a driveshaft on my ix?

Comment

I guess ill make it a little more flashy to get a quick answer

How long should it take a pro to do a rear axle swap on my 1990 ix? 1 hour to two at most?

Comment

Are you asking about a driveshaft, or the 2 halfshafts? They are 2 very different parts to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchman
            1 hour to two at most?[/b]
            Those driveshafts can be a REAL whore to get in. Sometimes they are easy -- sometimes they are very hard. 1-2 hours PER SIDE if they go in easy.

Comment

it would probably help to know which driveshaft you are talking about.

ix's have a one peice main driveshaft, it's not too hard to get out if you don't have a rustbucket. there's a collar nut in the back that you loosen to remove the driveshaft, can't remember which direction though. otherwise that it's just a matter of removing the exhaust..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
              X