1995 540i/6 - Finally Joined The Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1995 540i/6 - Finally Joined The Fun

My buddy Josh1254 and I rolled up to Santa Ana to look at a 1995 540i/6 listed on craigslist. They were asking $1,200 and had next to no details listed in the advertisement. In fact, it was mostly in Spanish and I speak very little Spanish.

When we go there, were surprised about the condition of the car. At least the body work. Aside from dings here and there and couple pieces of cracked bumper trim, the car was very serviceable. Until we took it on the highway for a test drive and it had death shake at 55 that cleared up around 75-80. Looking at the rims, it was concluded that the non-hubcentric 18"s were likely causing the problem. Plus, it has 225K on the ticker.

Using this as leverage, I was able to hand him $900 bucks and get a clean title.

The engine is throwing a 1213 code and will have to have the oil pump bolts put back in. I am guessing that's what makes it sound so rattly, see:

I will do new chain guides and valve cover gaskets (oil covering the bottom of the engine and transmission) and hoses. Speaking of hoses, the upper radiator hose started to split once we made it about half way back to Oceanside. No one carried the hose in stock so we had to use the hose repair take stuff. Its designed to just be a patch. Sure enough, as soon as we pulled it in my drive way, I hear a pop and the patch let go. Fortunately, he kept an eye on the temp gauge and never let it get too hot.

Anyway, here are a couple more pictures. Going to have a crap load of work to do to it before it's really road worthy. I'll eventually start a build thread in the normal spot. For some reason, I like the R3V community so even though I don't have an e30 anymore, I'm gonna stick it out.

Last edited by marshallnoise; 09-16-2015, 10:07 AM.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

very cool, minus the baller chrome wheels.
    540i 6speed is on my list of cars to own
    WTB:m60b40 in PNW
    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
    92 525it 5 speed.
    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Aren't they just horrlible? Haha

I plan on getting stock style 5s for daily driver duty and then maybe staggered M Parallels when I don't drive so much.

It's not terrifyingly fast, but she scoots!

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Nice score for the price! I've had a couple E34 540i/6 cars and love them. Trying to post a pic of my own but it doesn't seem to want to post.

Pretty sure there is a registry of all the 6 speed cars that are out there still. You should head over to bimmerforums and fill it out!
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
          Nice score for the price! I've had a couple E34 540i/6 cars and love them. Trying to post a pic of my own but it doesn't seem to want to post.

Pretty sure there is a registry of all the 6 speed cars that are out there still. You should head over to bimmerforums and fill it out!
          I will get over there and register the car. I know its a small club. That's why I figured this was worth resurrecting what was a one way trip to the salvage yard.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Congrats on the 540! I just bought the same car for about the same price, and its almost the same exact situation as yours haha. Our cars specs are almost identical. Will be following, good luck!
            sigpic

Comment

6spd as well :)
              sigpic

Comment

At least you have a clear coat that shines!

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                  At least you have a clear coat that shines!

It looks shiny in some spots. The hood and front end aren't as great. I'm going to start on it on Saturday and Monday!
                  sigpic

Comment

As usual. Good Job Paul!!! Hey, There is one by your hood that Im interested on checking but have no time at the moment...Do you want to check it out for me? Ill buy you a 6 pack HAHAHA!!!

Comment

Actually yeah I can check it out for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Thanks bud...let me know if it's worth it...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X