Making an m62 OBD 1, or keeping OBD 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making an m62 OBD 1, or keeping OBD 2?

In pursuit of doing a factory-esque swap, the next thing i think we should clear up is the proper/best way to make an m62 OBD 1, alternatively if anyone has information on how to run the m62 OBD 2 in an e30, please chime in.

My goal in this thread is to establish a complete solution on how to do it rather then telling people to search and leaving stuff to be misinterpreted.

My goal is to establish the EASIEST proper way of doing it.

As far as the ECU, 404 from en e34 is the best to use since it does not have EWS.

Farther then that It would be great if someone could completely step by step outline what needs to be done to convert an m62 to OBD 1 (or how to run as OBD 2). A pictorial would be even better.
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

I plan on doing just that, just haven't had the time yet. Wont be M62tu though, B44 only.
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Is it possible to make a s62 swap into an e30 using OBD1?

Comment

No.

S62 has dual VANOS and other features that no DME outside the MSS52 can control.

Obviously you *could* lock the VANOS out, run a cable to the throttle linkage (or try to get the E34 EML module to handle the S62 throttle by wire... lol)

And by the time you've eliminated most of the features that make the engine as good as it is, you're left with a big M62 that has nice cams.

Comment

So, to make it work. I either need to hack the DME or get a stand lone management...
          has anybody in the US used the MS52 for this swap?

Comment

This subject is vague at best for more: someone with some know-how needs to lay it all out in here.
            Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Three options;

-Swap most of M60 stuff to the M62 (timing end + sensors)
              -Take all EWS-related stuff from the car the M62 came from
              -de-program EWS (for example @ e30.de)
              - E34 M5 (x 2) -
              - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
              - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
              - E46 318i Touring -
              - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Working...
              X