• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

progress :)

gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

What must the sides of that car look like with you rolling it on it's side on the concrete floors? I sure hope your dog does not bump one of those 2x4's when your working on it and roll an e30 over on you. You have a welder, build a rotisserie, and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
        What must the sides of that car look like with you rolling it on it's side on the concrete floors? I sure hope your dog does not bump one of those 2x4's when your working on it and roll an e30 over on you. You have a welder, build a rotisserie, and be safe.
        car sits on two 6 x 6 blocks and body is not touching anything - only structural parts are resting on the blocks. 2 x 4 are not supports but only act counterbalance. there is no way that the car can roll over - it is not the first time I did it with a car.

p.s. i don't have a dog :)
        gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

I would have started with a good clean car... patchwork sheet metal FTL. I can't speak for others but if I were car shopping and happened across yours for sale, no matter how badass it may end up being in other departments, I'd walk as soon as I saw the patchwork.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
            I would have started with a good clean car... patchwork sheet metal FTL. I can't speak for others but if I were car shopping and happened across yours for sale, no matter how badass it may end up being in other departments, I'd walk as soon as I saw the patchwork.
            there is not many clean e30s left in ontario so this will need to do :)
            it is 84 so no more emission tests :)
            the car with patchwork will be as good as new and it is not going for sale :)
            the whole project is meant to be fun.
            gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Zorin View Post
              there is not many clean e30s left in ontario so this will need to do :)
              it is 84 so no more emission tests :)
              the car with patchwork will be as good as new and it is not going for sale :)
              the whole project is meant to be fun.
              I agree with the likelyhood of all of that, the bolded of course is quite impossible.

Comment

I agree with the likelyhood of all of that, the bolded of course is quite impossible.
                Patchwork is done with most body repairs so there is nothing wrong with it other than visual difference between original and welded in pieces.
                Everybody has an opinion, but regardless it will be as good as new and stronger as well.
                gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

Patchwork is done with most body repairs so there is nothing wrong with it other than visual difference between original and welded in pieces.
                  Everybody has an opinion, but regardless it will be as good as new and stronger as well.

If you say so. From time to time, I love to tie bits of bungee cords together and use them for jumping off bridges, Because, as sveryone knows patched together peices are extra strong.

Comment

Patchwork is done with most body repairs
                    Everybody has an opinion, but regardless it will be as good as new
                    I'm not looking for a fight but it simply isn't. If you don't understand that I suppose you in this case are better off for it. I'm just saying the patches look lousy, and definitely aren't "as good as new" nor stronger than original. The heat alone you have imparted into the panels surrounding weakens them. Having the car laying on its side with 2x4's propped against non-load bearing members can't be good for it either.

Comment

I just love the supportive nature of r3v .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

I'm not looking for a fight but it simply isn't. If you don't understand that I suppose you in this case are better off for it. I'm just saying the patches look lousy, and definitely aren't "as good as new" nor stronger than original. The heat alone you have imparted into the panels surrounding weakens them. Having the car laying on its side with 2x4's propped against non-load bearing members can't be good for it either.
                        1. curious - how many cars did you rebuild ?
                        2. curious - how many years experience in welding do you have ?
                        3. according to you once metal rusts and you cut it out no new metal can be welded in as the heat will destroy the rest - right ?
                        4. again car is not resting on its side but on 2 6x6 blocks placed under main support / load barring points of the car - you can come and see it person if you wish

please post photos of the projects you did yourself so that I can learn - thank you !
                        gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                          If you say so. From time to time, I love to tie bits of bungee cords together and use them for jumping off bridges, Because, as sveryone knows patched together peices are extra strong.
                          great comparison - according to your logic welding has no sense as welding in patches doesn't work. I guess same goes for anything that has to be put together. I wonder why they don't simply cast cars from forms - no welds !
                          gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

1. curious - how many cars did you rebuild ?
                            2. curious - how many years experience in welding do you have ?
                            3. according to you once metal rusts and you cut it out no new metal can be welded in as the heat will destroy the rest - right ?
                            4. again car is not resting on its side but on 2 6x6 blocks placed under main support / load barring points of the car - you can come and see it person if you wish

please post photos of the projects you did yourself so that I can learn - thank you !
                            I'm just going to leave you to your ignorance/bliss now. Good luck with your project, so long as YOU are happy with ol' patches thats all that matters.

Comment

I'm just going to leave you to your ignorance/bliss now. Good luck with your project, so long as YOU are happy with ol' patches thats all that matters.
                              can you please answer my questions so that I can learn from you ?
                              gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

You can spend some time here and answer your questions:

Comment

Working...
                                X