No announcement yet.

m42 in a 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool! I always thought the M42 was the perfect motor swap for things like 2002's and E21's. They're 4 cylinder to begin with, so an updated version is the perfect swap.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
      It was never a 6V car...it is a 1970.

I made the motor mounts myself. I have thought about making some off my design in the future. Maybe next fall/winter.

jake
      please do, i want to do this swap to my dads 75 2002.

http://www.volkswagenjettacup.com/

Comment

i think it will outrun an e30 325i easily. 318is are not too far behind a 325i, so the 318is drivetrain in a 2002 will move somewhat quicker.
        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

sweet. love 02s

Comment

aweseome! I'd recomend an m20 flywheel (or any lightweight F/W) to really bring some life out of the m42!

best of luck,
            Julien
            Build Threads:
            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

M20 singlemass flywheel, do the COP conversion to save yourself some time [and money], Jim C or Mark D chip and that thing should scream.

I was considering this when some tard totaled my 318is but i could not find a good 2002 chassis around ohio.

GL keep us updated.

Originally posted by vlad
              Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

I plan to swap in a m20 flywheel when I pull the engine next time. Right now I just want to get it running.

I am doing a COP conversion. I already made my bracket and have my coils. So I guess that part is done...

A small update. I got a turbo manifold from a m50 off ebay and cut it down to 4 and capped off the open end. I will use that for a NA manifold. It seems to fit well. I am waiting on some odds and ends from the dealer.

I have a cone filter adapter, need to get a cone filter.
                I have a throttle cable that I need to make a bracket for and will be set there.
                The radiator is in and all the hoses are connected, just need to get a fan switch for it to power my electric pusher fan.
                My custom driveshaft is done and on its way to me.

My plan is to have it running and driving by the middle of next week as long as I get the parts I need. Thinking of trying to start it this weekend or early next week.
                www.classicdaily.net
                1970 m42 swapped 2002
                1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
                https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Glat the m50 mani worked. This is going alot faster than the turbo project!
                  "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

yes the turbo project took a lot longer. But this project is using some of the items from the turbo project. ie. high pressure fuel pump, fuel lines, battery in the trunk, using the same type and style for throttle cable, etc

But it is much easier than all the turbo stuff.

jake
                    www.classicdaily.net
                    1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

BTW - check your email
                      "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

I hope we can see some vids aswell. Nice project.

COTM

Comment

Here is a small update...

I have mostly been waiting on parts. Only waiting on a couple at the moment. Should be running soon...

Yesterday I got the COP setup done, got the afm mounted and cone filter installed, throttle cable setup made and connected, and ground wire between body and the engine(almost forgot this)

Things left to do.

Install exhaust manifold, connect manifold to the rest of the exhaust, install o2 sensor, install drive shaft, bleed the clutch, and start it. So not much more

Here are some pictures

www.classicdaily.net
                          1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

Its running...

Going to the exhaust shop next week. Here are a couple more pictures. Cranked a little bit and fired right up.

www.classicdaily.net
                            1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

glad that thing is running. That exhaust manifold looks a little odd with that tube cut off and welded but what ever works.
                              sigpic
                              1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
                              1995 E30 325e (in progress)
                              1987 E30 325is (totaled)
                              1990 E30 325i
                              1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
                              1996 E36 328ic
                              1997 Z3
                              2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

yes it is a little weird but there is not a lot of room there and this was easier than making something from scratch.

I have the car back on the ground now. Hood is back on and everything is done for the most part. I am taking it to the exhaust shop on Wednesday. Then it will go to my storage unit until it gets warmer again for me to finish the small stuff. speedo/tach/etc

jake
                                www.classicdaily.net
                                1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

Working...
                                X