Project Forged 2.8...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Forged 2.8...

I have been a tease for the last few months while I have been working on it. It should be running before the end of the week. Here is my collection of photos from the work I have done so far.

My old setup was a bone stock M20B25 with almost 200k miles with a t3/t04e 57trim w/ .63 exhaust housing with a volk adapter, MSnS etc etc.

I put down 238.5 whp on that setup @ 10 psi.

The rings and valve stem seals just couldn't take it anymore and have been blowing ALOT of oil and crank case pressure lately, so it was time to build a new better, more powerful and more reliable motor. Here are the currentish spec list.

1mm over bore 8.5:1 JE pistons w/ raised wrist pins
    Eagle ESP 135mm rods
    ARP rod harware
    ETA (81mm crank)
    ARP mains
    ARP headstuds
    Cometic HG
    All new bearings, seals and gaskets
    New Oil pump
    273 cat camz w/ 11.5mm of lift
    New rockers, shafts, IE valves
    welded coolant channels
    HX35 w/ 14cm^2 non WG housing on a volk adapter

Also:
    Perma-Cool Oil Cooler behind kidneys
    60# injectors
    GM Waste Spark Coils
    Euro Grills
    Smoked Hellas
    Delrin shift console mounts
    rest of the shifter shims/bushings/clips
    Lightened (3ish lbs) single mass flywheel

From the Old setup:
    2.5in IC piping
    20x12x3in core bar and plate IC
    HKS SSQV BOV
    MSnS PCB v3.0
    full 3in turbo back exhaust with borla XR-1 Muffler
    Tial 38mm WG
    Clutchnet sprung 6 puck disk
    Sachs 618 PP
    Sachs HD TOB

I started out with having the head cleaned, then welded, straightened, resurfaced and valves ground.

I then brought my block, pistons, crank and flywheel to the machine shop for a bore, clean, LIGHT micropolish and resurface (flywheel).

Got the block back and masked, primed and painted.

Put the whole rotating assembly together, oil pump, water pump, front and rear main seals. It is coming along nicely.

Just finished it up. Installed valves, springs, cam, rockers, shafts, head studs, head onto the block, timing belt, MLS HG and whatnots.... Sorry a couple of the short are HORRID..

Got the motor pulled out of the car and torn down to a bare long block. I am going to be cleaning and transferring the good parts over and get it ready to be dropped back in. I need to clean the engine bay and take care of some wiring before that happens.

Stock Single Mass vs. Shaved Single Mass.

I cleaned some parts, installed studs into the head, got the manifolds on, thermostat housing and going to get the oil pan on and get started on accessory drive stuff next.

I got the engine dropped into the car with transmission. Got my oil cooler and IC setup figured out and tore down the old engine. I found a solid 100% head gasket, 3 broken compression rings and sludged up oil control rings. 201k mile turbo m20 didn't like that extra pressure and potential timing issues when I was running motronic for spark previously.

Broken ring with some pieces I found.

Easy oil change and Oil lines (not secured or connected yet)

Sleeper oil cooler and IC setup. :) Also ability to run 4 headlights.

Welded a new flange on my DP, made a dump tube, installed DS, rebuilt and installed shifter, rebuilt turbo, installed turbo, wrapped DP and installed. Did all the oil line plumbing, hot side charge pipe, radiator, headlights, grills etc etc..

Thats it for now. I have wiring, cold side charge pipe, exhaust (just reinstall), reinstall power steering system and a few odds and ends. Should be running shortly. :)
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Mmmmmm tasty. A proper m20 turbo build. Good work!

Comment

Nice stuff.

You got me excited about using an 84mm stroke 328 (M52) crank. That ETA crank, on the other hand, isn't forged.

Comment

No but it is lighter (than 524td crank) and I have never seen a m20 crank fail ever... I thought about using the 84mm crank, but I got a smoking deal on the eta crank/block.
        '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Nicely detailed, are you gonna submit it to PBMW?

Comment

Whered you get the pistons from? With 20 psi on my 170k+ motor i think i better spend some money on the bottom end..
            sigpic

Comment

I got the pistons through Todd @ TCD. He was very helpful in getting exactly what I wanted.

I would love to submit it to a magazine, but I am not done with the car yet (still have more suspension and interior work to do).
              '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Bravo, you got my subscription. Any more pics on your flywheel work?
                Supatek -noun - your basic know it all

Comment

Looks like a proper build. Cant wait to see the final result.
                  sigpic
                  1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
                  1995 E30 325e (in progress)
                  1987 E30 325is (totaled)
                  1990 E30 325i
                  1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
                  1996 E36 328ic
                  1997 Z3
                  2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

Excellent work sir. I need a ride in that thing one of these days!

Comment

Nice....how much

Nice job. At this point do you know how much you have into this build? What kind of HP are you thinking this setup will get? I am inspired, no I just need to find the cash to make it happen.

Comment

I am going for the big 400whp barrier, I honestly don't have an exact figure on money yet... I will go over it all when it finally starts.
                        '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

damn thats badass

Comment

great build thread, i'll stay subscribed!
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X