Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South African e30 S50b30euro Race Car

Good Day, all...

Thought it was about time that I posted up some pictures of the race car my father and I r building.

It started life as a 2dr 323i , but all the remains of this is the shell. The series I'm going to be driving it in is pretty open with regards to the rules, the class I run in, the only restrictions I have, are engine capacity not greater than 4500cc , and weight not less than 1075kg, also there is a small section on aero, but it's just that the rear wing can't be higher than the roof line, wider than the car or hang past the back bumper.

The motor of choice is a S50b30euro, which will go into the car as a stock engine, for the 1st season, and then it will be modded to hopefully squeeze around 200kw to the rears. This will be mated to a 5spd M3 box, and will have 3 different diff ratios to play with (3.64, 3.73,3.91)

A couple of exterior shots, that just show off the test fitting of the removable bumpers and single skin CF bonnet and bootlid, the fibreglass 325iS evo M-tech2 side skirts are modified to sit flush with the side of the car (not like on the iS where they stick out a little so that they sit flush with the door panels), we have also bought new fenders since this trial fitting.
    The front valance and bumper cover have been made removable, and are just the fibereglass skin, as well as the rear M-Tech 2 Bumper Cover.

Here are some pictures of the cage... as can be seen the trans tunnel has been hacked at, by the previous owner who was going to fit a V8, we have the old trans tunnel from my old 2.9lt Stroker e30, that will be welded into place. (which can be seen in the backround of the picture with the Bootlid, looking all sad and half stripped :( )

One of the doors showing how the inner skin has been cut away... still pretty heavy though even though the only thing going back into it is the latch, and a lexan window.

This gives an idea as to how much paint was on the car... counted 5 colours, was a real pita to get the entire car back down to bare metal!! Took 4 days, and this was just the shell, glad I didn't have to strip doors, fenders or other body panels.

Re inforced front subframe which will allow us to run solid motor mounts without fear of tearing the subframe.

Solid rear subframe bushes.

Here is some pics of the Brake Discs, E46 M3 all around with E46 M3 rear callipers and E30 M3 rear hubs, the front is a std e30 strut that has been modified to accept a E46 Hub, the calliper on the front is undecieded as we were going to use a 2005 WRX Sti Calliper but I've been told it's designed for a 32mm disc.

Super cracked dash, that has been hacked up to clear the cage, it will be covered in similar material to the seats, still trying to figure out a way to lighten this this as at damn heavy even just as a shell.

Still loads to be done, but the next step is to get the rims and tyres (Ac Schnitzer 17x8 omn 235 40 tyres) and the front coilovers done so that the car can be sent it to get it's custom made rivet on fender flares done.

Oh hell yes Stevin!

I love the bootlid.

Keep us updated.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
    RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

I likey . :up:

And its about time you posted pics of this build . :D
      When is your projected completion date ?

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

We're hoping for late June/ early July... I want it's 1st outing to be the event that I last tracked my 2.9lt .

There isn't that much 2 do, but it's taking time with work and study, and my father also working... so we got a lot done over our december holidays.

On a plus we went and ordered the front springs today... 8inch long 2.5inch 750lbs and 800lbs front spring.

Aswell as I sent the engineer the specs for the ally blocks for the solid rear rose jointed control arm rear mounts, and the Ally Diff bushing.

We still not 100% sure on the brake master cylinder and booster setup... that for me is the biggest concern ATM

Comment

Awesome!

Couldn't you go carbon fiber on the dash to lighten it?
          sigpic

Comment

How did you adapt the E30 struts to accept an E46 hub?

And will you need E46-offset wheels, then, or can you use E30 M3 offset?

Comment

Very nice looking and sorted project! Can't wait to see more progress...

Comment

subscribed

Comment

awesome!

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

awesome! The finished product will be SICK.
                    PNW Crew
                    90 m3
                    06 m5

Comment

Originally posted by GoKart View Post
                      How did you adapt the E30 struts to accept an E46 hub?

And will you need E46-offset wheels, then, or can you use E30 M3 offset?
                      The offset is changed to the E36/E46 offset, so those wheels will have to be used, but on this car there are quite big spacers, on behind the disc to clear the rack ends, and then on the rims to so the calliper clears the spokes... all in all it's about a 30mm front spacer, the rear will have around a 35mm spacer, as the front offset is due to the new hubs is greater than the rear.

It's not that hard to do if you have a decent engineeing shop, but the main problem lies in that the E46 bearing is longer than the e30 one.

A sleeve is made that is case hardened on the outside, and then heat press fitted onto the spindle, thats the easy part... It takes a bit more thinking to make the entire bearing run on the shaft, but still not a complex solution.

On another note, 300mm.de does something similar with an e30 srtut but they use what looks like a custom made bearing casing to make the E36/E46 hub fit onto an e30 strut... we preffered to keep the beefy bearing for race purposes.

With regards to the dash, I think it would be possible to get a CF one made up... but I think it will be for nothing as I already have a nagging feeling that I will have to add weight to the car to make the min weight in my race class...

Comment

Sweet car you have going on there. Cant wait to see the finished car.
                        sigpic
                        1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
                        1995 E30 325e (in progress)
                        1987 E30 325is (totaled)
                        1990 E30 325i
                        1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
                        1996 E36 328ic
                        1997 Z3
                        2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

updates please
                          sigpic
                          24v swapped

Comment

Lol, impatient bunch you guys are :P

but yeah, got the 1st set of rims on saturday, 17x8 ET 34 AC Schnitzer replica's... I will take some pictures this evening.

Still need 2 get another 2 sets of these rims, one for another set of Semi Slicks and another one with Rain tyres.

Waiting for stock on the tyres, 235 40 17 Bridgestone RE ... something, lol

Comment

Here are the rims... Going to be painted Satin Black, with a Laguna Seca Blue Lip, and the outer edges of the spokes are also going to be Laguna.

Here are the doors after getting Acid Dipped, so much easier than paint stripped :P

I'll post up pictures sometime in the week of the rear brake setup and front strut setup, with brake (excluding calliper)

The rear barely fits under the rim with prob 4-5mm space between the calliper and rim.

Comment

Working...
                              X