No announcement yet.

Bought a diesel hauler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NAPA filter actually flows with very little to no resistance and keeps the air as clean as the oem. Everyone swears it's better than the K&N and oem.

The TS chips are confusing but whatever you get will basically be custom canned tunes.
    You'll want a chip to wake up those tasty mods you have. I'm pretty sure if the PO had all that stuff done then you'll probably have a 17* HPOP and upgraded injectors.

Once you get the chip, turn it all the way to extreme. You'll thank me later.

""Canned Tune: Mass produced tunes loaded onto general market hardware - Banks, Bully, Edge, SuperChip. These are bad and you will be mocked if you own them. They hold no place in the market.

Custom Tune: PHP, DP, others... Where they have the ability to put more trial and error resources into, and change variables in, their canned tunes. Customer then chooses the specific canned tunes they want. These are good and you are automatically in "the club" if you own them. These are the only products people should buy.

Really Custom Tune: Live tuning. This is what the people in "the club" think they have, but in reality, they just have a slightly more customized canned tune. Custom tuning starts with a base tune and then tweaks it specifically for your vehicle, on site."" -Powerstroke.org

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
      The NAPA filter actually flows with very little to no resistance and keeps the air as clean as the oem. Everyone swears it's better than the K&N and oem.

The TS chips are confusing but whatever you get will basically be custom canned tunes.
      You'll want a chip to wake up those tasty mods you have. I'm pretty sure if the PO had all that stuff done then you'll probably have a 17* HPOP and upgraded injectors.

Once you get the chip, turn it all the way to extreme. You'll thank me later.

""Canned Tune: Mass produced tunes loaded onto general market hardware - Banks, Bully, Edge, SuperChip. These are bad and you will be mocked if you own them. They hold no place in the market.

Custom Tune: PHP, DP, others... Where they have the ability to put more trial and error resources into, and change variables in, their canned tunes. Customer then chooses the specific canned tunes they want. These are good and you are automatically in "the club" if you own them. These are the only products people should buy.

Really Custom Tune: Live tuning. This is what the people in "the club" think they have, but in reality, they just have a slightly more customized canned tune. Custom tuning starts with a base tune and then tweaks it specifically for your vehicle, on site."" -Powerstroke.org
      Ok now I'm more confused, joking. That's exactly what I got from the canned tunes, custom tune comparison. After visiting DP Tunes sight I'll have to input my PCM serial number in order to play around with tune options and cost. I really didn't want to pull the PCM just to get an idea of the cost to tune. But I understand the purpose of this. What's the best way to access the PCM, wheel well or behind the parking brake?

Comment

Originally posted by graveshaker View Post
        Ok now I'm more confused, joking. That's exactly what I got from the canned tunes, custom tune comparison. After visiting DP Tunes sight I'll have to input my PCM serial number in order to play around with tune options and cost. I really didn't want to pull the PCM just to get an idea of the cost to tune. But I understand the purpose of this. What's the best way to access the PCM, wheel well or behind the parking brake?
        chip tuners cannot give you a tune that is on the ragged edge for your application. They have to dial it back because of the variances between motors as they age, and when they were built. If you tune the limit of one car's engine, it may not be exactly the same for another car of the same model. At the so called "really custom tune" level, even the amount of carbon build up can effect horsepower potential. You can only do this tuning by putting your exact car on a dyno.

The regular "custom tune" portion is a tune that they can estimate a safe margin but only down to the modifications of the motor--such as an intake, cam, or downpipe. In reality, this is not a custom tune at all. It's just the same concept as the "canned tune."

A "canned tune" is one that is made with a large safety margin(although not as large as factory) to give better performance, but will also work with almost all cars out there. Even if grandma or a lead-foot 16 year old decides to chip their motor, they can use the same canned tune.

I like the truck--it's sick. The side mounted(floating if you will) seat design is pretty cool.
        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
          chip tuners cannot give you a tune that is on the ragged edge for your application. They have to dial it back because of the variances between motors as they age, and when they were built. If you tune the limit of one car's engine, it may not be exactly the same for another car of the same model. At the so called "really custom tune" level, even the amount of carbon build up can effect horsepower potential. You can only do this tuning by putting your exact car on a dyno.

The regular "custom tune" portion is a tune that they can estimate a safe margin but only down to the modifications of the motor--such as an intake, cam, or downpipe. In reality, this is not a custom tune at all. It's just the same concept as the "canned tune."

A "canned tune" is one that is made with a large safety margin(although not as large as factory) to give better performance, but will also work with almost all cars out there. Even if grandma or a lead-foot 16 year old decides to chip their motor, they can use the same canned tune.

I like the truck--it's sick. The side mounted(floating if you will) seat design is pretty cool.
          Never noticed the floating seat. I had to look at the pick again, it do look pretty sweet. I'm going to go with the "custom tune" using the 16 position chip. I hope a have enough information on my setup to get the most from the custom tune. I just have to figure out which of the 21 tunes I'll add to my 16 positions. One tune I like is the decel tune which acts like an exhaust brake to slow the truck down.

Comment

behind the parking brake

Comment

Working...
            X