1987 325is Zinno Restoration - Mark II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aegul44 View Post
    Nice restoration especially the rust part. You probably know but tucked diving board looks much cleaner. Its one of the best mod I've done on mine. Only downward is there is no shocks to reduce impact during accident.
    Thanks! Yea having zero shocks for impact kinda worries me, so I went with shorter late vert shocks which tucks them in a few inches

RICHTER MOTOREN

1987 e30 325is Zinno - Restoring
    2004 e46 325xi Alpine - Daily
    2003 e46 330ci Topaz - Sold
    1988 e30 325is Zinno - RIP
    2007 Honda Ody - Family Truckster

'87 325is Restoration Build

Comment

I started working on my HVAC climate control panel refresh.

The OBC lights were out and the vent sliders where getting jammed up making them hard to slide back and forth, so I figured that there was something up with the cables.

Had to take apart the whole underside dash to get access to them.

Bentley Manual has a good section on how to adjust them.

Turns out that the ends of the cables popped out of the mounting clips at the ends.

Had to reseat the cable in the clips, wasn't easy in the tight space and having to twist half upside down to clip them in wasn't fun.

Glad I got it done, sliders are now smooth like butter!

Next up are the OBC bulbs replacements, the two behind the screen and the single bulb behind the buttons.

RICHTER MOTOREN

Comment

Loving this build! Sorry to hear about your loss though.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
        --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by pcrbmw View Post
          Did some troubleshooting on the auxiliary fan

Used a wire to bypass the sensor on hi and low switch, found out the resistor was bad.

Had to drill out the rusted, unidentiflable mounting screws and was able to get M-3 screws/locking nuts from a local hardware supplier.

Got a replacement resistor kit from Local BMW, connected it, and now its working beautifully!

I also found a sweet OEM vintage mushroom style shift knob in my box of parts, plan on getting it recovered with some new leather and a new shift pattern insert.

Aluminum Bumpers and Bumper Trim installation up next
          I keep trying to find an original leather covered mushroom style knob for my 1987 325is. If anyone has one...I'll pay. Glad I found this thread, really enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by DELPHINtimecapsule View Post
            I keep trying to find an original leather covered mushroom style knob for my 1987 325is. If anyone has one...I'll pay. Glad I found this thread, really enjoying it.
            Thanks for checking out my story, glad you're liking it, I'm getting ready to post some more progress updates soon

The M3 style mushroom shift knobs with the boot attached are still available but very pricey...https://www.ecstuning.com/ES215914/

RICHTER MOTOREN

Comment

Originally posted by pcrbmw View Post
              Thanks for checking out my story, glad you're liking it, I'm getting ready to post some more progress updates soon

The M3 style mushroom shift knobs with the boot attached are still available but very pricey...https://www.ecstuning.com/ES215914/
              Yeah, I've been thinking about those, but keep hoping I'll find a used original from an 87is.

Comment

A few updates:

During the last test drive, I noticed that there's some kind if whining, humming noise happening above 40mph. Don't think its engine related, happens during coasting, in neutral, no change in noise in left or right turns....
                • I tried feeling for wheel bearing play with tires on, however things feel tight
                • there is only a 1/4" clearance between the top of rear driveshaft and bottom of the gas tank tunnel, not sure if that's normal or if i need to add washers/spacers to center bearing
                • Recently changed driveshaft center support bearing and differential fluid flush with new OEM differential fluid
                • Rotors are pretty rusted and tires are about 10 years old, possible culprits, plan on refreshing them soon

Will have to get it up on jacks and get it up to speed while I have some one listen for the noise

Starting her off early, learning the manual gear box, already started counting the numbers, haha

Finally started on the last of the rust areas

Cut and Welded in one last panel, with Harbor Freight Welder, not the best welder, lots of splatter and burn holes, but got it tacked in, and it's pretty strong

Cleaned up the holes in the battery box, going with mercedessource.com fiberglass/miracle paint approach, heard some mixed reviews on it, but it seems like it working pretty good so far, will post after photos soon

RICHTER MOTOREN

Comment

excellent work.
                  Current:
                  1989 325i
                  1988 M3
                  1987 325ic
                  Past:
                  2001 330ci
                  2001 M3

Comment

Awesome build. Keep it up!

Mr. Wolfe
                    sigpic

Comment

Great Build man.
                      Gives me motivation for my 87 Zinoberrot 325is that' ive been trying to do an m52 swap on for the last year or so :p

Comment

Originally posted by DELPHINtimecapsule View Post
                        Not original, but not bad. Good luck with the build.
                        sigpic
                        327is
                        325es
                        325es
                        318is
                        Fiesta ST
                        E46 M3

Comment

This year i’m thankful for my wonderful wife who was very understanding and allowed the family truckster to be parked outside for a few days so I can complete some To Do list items before winter fully sets in.

(in the background is a 1980 cb750 that I pickup up last year for a couple bucks, it was a nasty non running bike but started cleaning it up and will keep me busy for the winter, may post a few project photos on here as well)

The weather was warm here on the east coast for a few days then it decided to shift ridiculously to the Arctic Circle with 50mph winds, glad the e30 was in the garage nice and safe out of that weather.

I decided to do some painting to finally get all the holes sealed

I'm really happy with the way the bottom rear wells turned out, I was able to maintain most of the body lines, and I’ll be able to get mud flaps installed pretty soon

The rear tail panels is another story, looks good from a few feet way, needless to say I'm just thrilled that its sealed, doesn't really meet my OCD standards but it will have to do, if I didn't get paint on it now, who knows when it would ever get done. I’ll revisit the installing the license plate lights in the spring.

Got some sweet looking eye candy right here, Cleaned the engine bay little

RICHTER MOTOREN

Comment

Great read, sorry to see the first one go but the mkII has come out great!

Good welding, I should really start doing it myself to
                            Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Haven't posted in a while, I've been troubleshooting the humming noise and collecting parts to swap out.

Found out the noise was the front passenger side wheel bearing. It was a really easy swap. Passenger side just slid off, didn't need the puller. Amazing how smooth the new bearing feels. Went with a pair of FAG hub/bearings, since they are the OEM BMW supplier. Started buying my parts from FCPEuro, their lifetime warranty seems pretty legit.

Installed all around new duralast pads/rotors from autozone, I know they are really cheap but they are only temporary. Needed to get my old sets off since they were overly rusted. Haven't decide what setup to go with, maybe Zimmerman & Hawk...

Got my 14" weaves sandblasted and powder coated. Wrapped them in Nexen CP672, from SimpleTire.com I think they came out pretty good.

RICHTER MOTOREN

Comment

great build thread
                                nice job restoring this beauty.

early on you mentioned you got a e46 power steering resivoir

any reason for this compared to stock or e36 bottles?

-
                                Project
                                Parts for Sale
                                Feedback
                                YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X