My e30 Bluetooth Carphone Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My e30 Bluetooth Carphone Install

There were a limited number of e30s that were purchased with an optional carphone mounted in the ebrake console. Unfortunately, mine was not one of these. Even if it was, it wouldn't matter now as all of the BMW carphones sold in the US were analog. AMPS service ceased to exist in 2008. However, I have always wanted to have a carphone in my e30, specifically one that I could actually use.

During a trip to a PnP yard two weeks ago, I came across a e38 with option SA629, the in-car telecommunications package. I managed to get the entire system out, and purchased it for the low price of $5! The only problem here, of course, is that it is an analog phone and would be of no use to me. So, I decided to build what I wanted. Here is what I started with:

What I wanted to do was to convert the receiver into a bluetooth unit capable of answering, ending, and talking on a call, all while maintaining as much of the original BMW electronics as possible so that I could still light up the phone using the LCD display. However, it would not be able to dial or display any call information on the LCD. I bought this for $10 to use its internals.

After taking apart the receiver, I began to combine the two units.

Don't worry, it is soldered underneath the crappy tape. I couldn't find anything else to use. As for what exactly I did, I just cut the speaker and microphone feeds from the hipster-ish retro handset and soldered it in to the carphone's speaker and mic. As for volume control, I didn't worry about it as I was able to adjust it through the phone paired to the handset. For charging capabilities, a small hole was cut in the bottom of the phone for the USB port. You could use a voltage regulator and power it via the car if you wanted, but I don't have a problem with occasionally charging it.

Lastly is the issue of controlling the bluetooth module. Other people that have modded these or similar units used a button on the original keypad. For me, that was not an option as I did not want to disturb the original electronics. So, I did this

Two holes were drilled. One, for the main control button. The other was for the indicator light. I made two short tabs to hold the board in place with 2 stage epoxy. Then, I sealed it all back up.

Its not very obvious, is it?

As for getting it into my e30, that is the next challenge. It will be in my heated garage later this month for suspension work ,which is when I will be doing the install. Yes, the large pile of BMW wires and modules will be used so that it will light up correctly, along with allowing all of the original functions to appear useable (such as the original owner's contact list). I'm even planning on using a glass mount antenna in the rear window.

The phone itself will set where the rear change tray currently is. If I use an old console to start with, I may move the change tray forward. When I reach that point, I'll update this thread.

Oh, its going in this:

If you have any questions, please ask. I'll be happy to answer them.
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Seems like a cool project! Good luck with the install

Comment

This is awesome!!
      Originally posted by LJ851
      kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
      ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
      #teamross
      Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

I would say that this next step may freak some people out, but this is r3v. Strut housings are cut on a daily basis. So, I went to my local PnP and bought a perfectly good console...

To cut a huge hole in.

It doesn't line up perfectly at the back, unfortunately. However, I don't use the rear ashtray anyway.

Finally, the front. I'm not sure what's going to go here. For that matter, something's going to have to cover the rough edge. Also, you'll probably notice that there's no longer any upholstery on the console. It was peeling off when I got it, so it will be painted.

Not related to the console is the wiring harness work that was done. After going through the diagrams, I determined that only three wires were needed (For power, memory and ground). Everything else was for connecting the phone into the stereo. This will then plug into the main cable which links the handset and phone controller.

That's it for now. I'll update again when I do more work on the console.

Comment

is it even legal to use these on the road anymore? iirc the analog setup could still be used to call emergency services. No idea its true.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
          DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

As of 2008, all major analog services were taken off-line. The last analog site in the lower 48 was taken off line in 2011. Bottom line, it doesn't get any service. As for the legality of it, I'm in Tennessee. We don't have any laws against cell phone usage while driving, except for a texting-while-driving ban (which most people still do anyway, unfortunately).

Comment

I just got a phone to try this same thing basically... it's on the way plus a new center console to see what I can do. Any tips on the power wireup appreciated. I have a bench tester where I can put it together and then figure out how to get 12v to it. Hope it's 12v anyway.

Comment

They do take 12V. I just went through the ETM and found +12v connections that way. What is your phone out of?

Comment

phoen wireup

Hello! My phone is exactly like yours, I got it on ebay and not sure what it came out of. It's exactly the same.

I got it on my bench tonight, and there is a 10 prong din connector and I came up with a ground and two 12v inputs that turn on some of the lights, but not all the keypad lights on the hand set. it's funny, when I turn the power on, the keys light up for a milisecond, and then off.

overall, my goal is to have the lights and keypad lights turn on with accessory power, I don't want to run the full phone.

I also ordered - gulp - a new console so it's going to look good.

I looked at your wiring harness, and the phone and base look the same, but not sure your thoughts with molex connector you have. I have a some mail din connectors that seem to fit well. The phone has that 10 pin female din, and then a 8-10 pin cat style connector comming out of it. ATM? diagram. what is this? Thank you!

Comment

YEs, the more I look it's an e38 handset...

The mounting location is pretty good. but it's meant to fit into a slot like you have between the 2 arm rest locations. I can't figure out how the light the keypad. The ETM i see, electronic troubleshootin guide - but I dont see any diagrams for car phone. Maybe it's part of a stereo diagram. Did you only use the 10 pin connector, or did you have to use any power on the JR-11 style connector? Sorry to ask wiring help, people often get annoyed by that, I get it. This phone thing is so unusual though. I may end up getting some 12v LED setup hacked into the handset and just power the illumination directly, but since it already works, it would be ideal to use what's there.

thank you for any thoughts...

Comment

No problem at all. It is an e38 handset. I never actually succeeded in getting the keypad to illuminate myself. Ended up taking the phone out when I went to an e36 console for cupholders. The phone diagram should be its own portion of the e38 ETM, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Can you replicate this. I'd be interested. Pm me
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X