Can Someone Please look at my E30 - Loose Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Someone Please look at my E30 - Loose Suspension

I have some loose steering/suspension issues that I have been trying to figure out for months. I have had no luck and no one yet has given me great input. I need someone to look at it and give me another opinion.

I have:
    Billy IX Inserts
    GE coilovers
    E36 M3 Rack with modded knuckle
    GE Camber plates (Which are the same as IE plates I think)

And I am getting some seriour loose feelings that rattle from the suspension to the steering wheel. I really want this gone so I can enjoy my e30 again and take it to the autoX. Does anyone have the time and expertise to check it out?

I can tell you that by nature the IE camber plates will rattle. Also make sure the nuts holding the struts in the tubes are tight. If your running ix struts in standard strut tubes, your housings must be shortened and spacers must also be installed inside the tubes.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Comment

Spacers inside the tubes??? Haven't heard of that. I have Ix inserts with shortened housings; but I never heard about spacers.

Comment

What year is the car? Does it have an airbag wheel (or did it originally come with one)? If so, there's a big ass nut on the steering column right above the pedals and below the dash that tends to get loose. When it does, the steering feels very loose, almost like there's something wrong with the suspension. These were on airbag equipped cars. You can check it by removing the lower dash panel and the nut will be staring you in the face. If there's a lot of play, it needs to be tightened.

Comment

88 325is. No airbag I believe. Anyone nearby that can take a look. I already took it to Bavarian in milpitas - he looked at it for 15 minutes, charged me 60 bucks and didn't address that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by graphikg View Post
            Spacers inside the tubes??? Haven't heard of that. I have Ix inserts with shortened housings; but I never heard about spacers.
            Typically the tubes don't get shortened the same length as the IX tubes are. The inserts are generally still shorter so there needs to be a spacer under the insert to bring them up to the right height so that the gland nut tightens down on the insert.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Comment

if your strut inserts aren't sliding up and down in the housings, you have spacers in there.
              cars beep boop

Comment

Are your cabs rotted out?

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

(if you want to come by on a weeknight we can throw it up and check for any obvious idiocy, but I'm not sure when the next night i'm wrenching is)
                  cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by graphikg View Post
                    I have:
                    Billy IX Inserts
                    GE coilovers
                    E36 M3 Rack with modded knuckle
                    GE Camber plates (Which are the same as IE plates I think)
                    If that's all that's been changed, I'm betting on tie rods, control arms, and control arm bushings.
                    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Control arms, cabs, and tie rods have less than 40k on them.

I'm betting i need the spacers under my inserts since they do slide up and down in the inserts even with the gland nut on. I think kronus and Dan have a point.

Kronus, care if we meet up sometime? I'll be glad to drive up to sf.

Comment

Yeah, definitely, and even better, you just have to drive to Belmont.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

After doing more reading and searching around, I am deducing it is the fact I don't have spacers under the inserts. Since the housings are shortened 2 inches and I am on Ix bilsteind, I bet I need at least a 2-3 inch tube spacer so the inserts don't move around in the housing.

I do notice that I can pull the insert up and down even though it is tightened to the housing with the gland nut.

Comment

I'm 90% sure ix inserts are 3" shorter, so you'll need a 1" spacer
                            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Yeah - I am betting it is the spacer thing. I am thinking of getting some 1/4 inch metal tubing from Lowes or something to cut and put in there. That may be a good spacer material.

Comment

Working...
                              X