What RPM to shift at - true story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What RPM to shift at - true story

A friend of mine bought his 16YO son a rough-looking but good running 318is for his high-school car. He knew I was an E30 guy (S52 convertible) so we all went for a ride in the 318is on a Sunday afternoon. My friend was driving, me in the front and his son (the proud new owner), his other son, and my son in the back, all teenagers.

So we're tooling around, and the new-owner son asks from the back seat, "Mr. Funcrew, what RPM should I shift at?"

Without hesitation, I say, "I generally shift at redline."

Of course, the kid's dad is yelling, "no, nononono, that's WRONG," and my son is laughing his head off, saying "Yeah, he's not kidding." Naturally, the kid is my #1 fan after that, but hey, I was just telling the truth.
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

lolol.

It's so hard to funnel all the variable answers into a simple explanation.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

When you drive a racecar it's hard to not act like it :D
      sigpic

Comment

Lol.
        sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
        1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
        1991 318is - Sold
        1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Originally posted by funcrew View Post
          A friend of mine bought his 16YO son a rough-looking but good running 318is for his high-school car. He knew I was an E30 guy (S52 convertible) so we all went for a ride in the 318is on a Sunday afternoon. My friend was driving, me in the front and his son (the proud new owner), his other son, and my son in the back, all teenagers.

So we're tooling around, and the new-owner son asks from the back seat, "Mr. Funcrew, what RPM should I shift at?"

Without hesitation, I say, "I generally shift at redline."

Of course, the kid's dad is yelling, "no, nononono, that's WRONG," and my son is laughing his head off, saying "Yeah, he's not kidding." Naturally, the kid is my #1 fan after that, but hey, I was just telling the truth.
          Thats the answer I would give if not my car being driven. 318 will need it too!

Comment

You should've turned back and stare straight into his eyes and yell "DANGER ZONE"

like so
            ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

I remember when I was that age & asked that question. I think I even posted a thread about redline shifting LOL. My pops reacted the same way & I've been banging gears ever since.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
              DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

My dad asked me that too when I was in like 5th or 6th grade... and after playing lots of NFS: Underground 2 I naturally responded with "when it gets to the red part." He told me yes, if I'm driving a race car. So, I guess I drive a race car now.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

ROFL. Sweet thing is you won't even be going that fast if you redline an M42.

Wut.

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

If I shift at redline I'll usually skip a gear for the sake of laziness. Other than that I try to keep it between 3400-4000rpm

07 Designio E63 AMG / 1984 318i (M20Swapped)

Comment

You're supposed to listen to the engine and not take your eyes off the road.

Once it begins cutting fuel, you hear it, and shift. Easy.
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post

I usually wait until it starts floating valves, but to each his own.
                        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

one time, just one time, I shifted at redline

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post

This. When I taught my daughter to drive our Mazda3, I told her to never look at the tach - cars with rev limiters don't really need one. Now she tears the hell out of it.
                            "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                              I usually wait until it starts floating valves, but to each his own.
                              Meh, tomato, tomahto. I guess the piston will start closing the valves when the cam stops. No biggy.
                              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
                              X