No announcement yet.

What RPM to shift at - true story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When your engine hits fuel or spark cut, it isn't producing power. It's best to shift before the audible indication of a rev limiter. A visual indication such as a shift light that is on the aim sport line MXL series data displays is a good start to proper shift etiquette.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Deagle View Post
      When your engine hits fuel or spark cut, it isn't producing power. It's best to shift before the audible indication of a rev limiter. A visual indication such as a shift light that is on the aim sport line MXL series data displays is a good start to proper shift etiquette.
      We don't need logic now.
      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
        ROFL. Sweet thing is you won't even be going that fast if you redline an M42.

Wut.
        Standing start, at a corner, redline before corner completed.

Not going that fast, but it sure feels good doin it.

And if its the least little bit wet, sideways and light up 2nd gear if your not careful.

Comment

Yeah yeah yeah. The M42 is still fun to just rip through the gears. It's still an E30, after all.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by oldmann View Post
            Standing start, at a corner, redline before corner completed.
            Yeah, it's hard not to get really close to, or at, redline in this situation. Just the nature of the beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
              We don't need logic now.
              We can't stop here. This is bat country.
              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

A few of the modified engines i have built have been met with a pretty lackluster response from the owner. Usually a comment like " yeah, it feels a little smoother i guess"

This is on engines that are making 25% more power, a very noticeable amount. The first one took me a while to figure out. I finally got to the right question with "What RPM do you shift at?"

The response after going back out r3ving it 2K rpm higher (redline) is always fun. :shock:
                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I tend to shift between 3-4k, but also take it up to redline on a daily basis. The engine was designed to rev that high. You aren't hurting it doing so. I figure it is probably better for it to be revved that high on occasion, rather then just be kept low all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Deagle View Post
                    I'm pretty sure the soft cut on my 2012 Mazda is still producing power, it just doesn't accelerate until you shift into a higher gear. It's not like an E30 where the DME cuts you off at the knees all at once.
                    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

For me it's some what vehicle specific, though my modest rule of thumb is 3k-3.5k. I feel that is a generaly safe bet

Comment

I never shift out of first. That way, I'm almost always at redline.
                        sigpic
                        "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

I prefer my tach to read between 3 and 5k.

I get a lot of speeding tickets.
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

4k shifter
                            I like feeling that power triptronicing into the next gear

4 speed auto baby

Comment

1st gear-redline

Inbetween-drop clutch,diff locks up along with some wheelspin
                              terrified passengers

2nd gear- hold it for as long as possible occasionally letting off the accelerator to slow yourself down. Worn subframe bushings will clunk when you let off but just let the sounds of the engine overwhelm them and crank up the stereo.

Comment

Redline all the way till 3rd then coast to my destination. #becausegodschariot

Comment

Working...
                                X