Need help with hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with hesitation

I've asked on the other forum, and they seem to be clueless unless it involves spark plugs.

I have a 88 Super ETA. IT has so many miles the ODO stopped working at 225K miles.

I bought it for $350. It was running pretty good when I got it. It has started to develop a miss or some hesitation for about 10 miles on my commute to work. after that it goes away and runs fine.

it feels like a vibration or really strong shaking for about 10 miles.

Of course the check engine light isn't coming on

Here is my list of things I have done to it since i got it:

plugs
    cap and rotor
    oil change
    air filter
    cleaned MAF
    intake gaskets
    fuel filter
    new fuel lines
    rebuilt injectors with o-rings and screens
    thermostat
    intake gaskets

I still need to check out the driveline, i have not done that yet, but since it seems to only happen for 10 miles, I didn't think that would be it.

other things I can think of is a bad fuel pump or regulator? I can rent a pressure gauge from O'Reilly.

Any other suggestions? its not like there is a lot to the car compared to other cars I have owned.I'm only into it about $500 now. I'm just using it as a commuter
    Last edited by sawtooth4x4; 04-07-2014, 06:18 AM.
    1988 E30 Super ETA
    1972 Mercedes 220 Resto Project
    2001 Range Rover HSE 4.6 Rock Crawler
    2007 Toyota Sequoia, Child Hauler

If the hesitation occurs coming off idle, the cause is probably intake leaks. A smoke test is the only sure way of finding them.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

no its only when I accelerate.

i'm usually getting it from 70-80 mph. but it stops after about 10 miles of driving, and drives like normal.

I almost wonder if the internals on the MAF are getting worn out or something
      1988 E30 Super ETA

Comment

It could be vacuum leaks as previously stated. Do a smoke test and report back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
        sigpic
        Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

I just replaced all the hoses with new ones. I also replaced all the intake gaskets.
          1988 E30 Super ETA

Comment

Well think I figured it out. Tested my fuel pressure and it's at 25 psi idle and 30 psi reved up. Ordered a new 255 LPH pump.
            1988 E30 Super ETA

Comment

I have the same problem. Smoked tested and no leaks. Does yours idle rough sometimes, but not bad other times?

Did you get the new fuel pump installed?

Comment

Mine idles perfect. no issues there.

I installed the new fuel pump. the old one was getting weak. i put in a 255 LPH walbro pump. man, this thing is like a new car. it seems to pull a lot harder and it does not have any dead spots now.

but, I still have the hesitation for about 7 miles now. after that, its perfect and a joy to drive.

i also adjusted the AFM one click tighter on the toothed wheel with the spring. I used to do that to toyota's about 10 years ago. that seems to have helped a bit too.

its getting better, I'm just not sure what is next. FPR, AFM, or coil. Maybe its as easy as the oil cap isn't sealing good enough. but I know for sure, I don't have any vacuum leaks.
                1988 E30 Super ETA

Comment

i think tonight I'm going to pull out the instrument cluster and check the wiring behind it. my temp gauge started jumping around awhile ago and also just died. it doesn't do anything now.

I must have some sort of short in there.

When I installed a new stereo system I found an aftermarket alarm system. I removed it and threw it in the trash. who the hell would steal this car anyway.

I had another car that did this a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It would act fine and then freakout. and it only did it for a short time before running good. I replaced everything under the hood as far as sensors went. Everyone kept saying it was the CPS. But I had already replaced. I finally gave in and took it back. I paid a bit more for a better CPS sensor and walla, it ran perfect. Then I sold the POS and made $3000 on it.

So my point is, I think its electrical, I just need to figure out what is wrong and where.
                  1988 E30 Super ETA

Comment

well, its still doing it. not as bad.

Still have not adjusted the strip on the MAF. I think i'll try bending it a bit so it rides in a new area. that shouldn't cost me anything. i'm tired of buying parts that don't seem to make much difference.
                    1988 E30 Super ETA

Comment

Working...
                    X