Throttle body SOS!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle body SOS!!!!

I was changing my tb heater gasket and one of the torx heads snapped off!!! I've been spraying these with PB blaster for days!! How do i get the screw out?

--sent from my igloo via carrier penguin
    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

I'm hoping i can get the other two out and then rotate the flange around the one thats still stuck. I don't care about the flange, I've got a new one, and screws too

(OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Okay so i was able to back out one of the screws with no problem, but the other two were snapped off. Using a mallet and a flat nail, I was able to whack the flange (gonna throw away anyway) off, exposing the other pieces of the snapped screws. (see pic). Going to soak them in PB overnight, Then spray again tomorrow morining, then tomorrow after work, then before i go to bed. Sunday I'm going to go at them with a small vise-grips. Any tips welcome.

(OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Get a used throttle body in better condition.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Better throttle body or just bypass the heater hoses.
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
            Better throttle body or just bypass the heater hoses.
            I guess I could delete it for the time being, but I'd rather repair it beause it gets pretty cold in New England during the winter and fall. I'm going to try what I said first, hopefully it works out.

(OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Is there enough meat left on em to notch em with a dremel/die grinder and use a flathead on them? They are small as hell if i remember.

Comment

Throttle body SOS!!!!

Originally posted by mpowerful View Post
                Is there enough meat left on em to notch em with a dremel/die grinder and use a flathead on them? They are small as hell if i remember.
                yeah, I know the pic is bad but there's about 1/4 inch left on both of them. I thought about making a notch, but I figured I could get by by just grabbing and turning with vise grips. They got another soaking with PB Blaster before I left this morning.

(OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Try a blow torch

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                  -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
                    Try a blow torch

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                    I don't have a blowtorch, do you think I could heat it with a fireplace lighter lol? After I put the PB blaster on I gave it a few light taps with a small hammer. supposedly if you tap it it loosens better.

(OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Stop right there.... Had the same happen to me. Try sourcing a used one but most likely all you'll find at the junkyards will be in worse condition than yours. Take it to a reputable machine shop. They can heat cycle it and have easy outs at their disposal to work it out. If they mess it up they can drill it out and tap it. Give them one of your new screws so they know which tap to use. Should cost ~$50 but will give you piece of mind and save you the run around.

Comment

ebay

1988 E30 Super ETA
                        1972 Mercedes 220 Resto Project
                        2001 Range Rover HSE 4.6 Rock Crawler
                        2007 Toyota Sequoia, Child Hauler

Comment

^ dont buy that one. that is for an eta. you need an "I" one
                          Much wow
                          I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
                            Stop right there.... Had the same happen to me. Try sourcing a used one but most likely all you'll find at the junkyards will be in worse condition than yours. Take it to a reputable machine shop. They can heat cycle it and have easy outs at their disposal to work it out. If they mess it up they can drill it out and tap it. Give them one of your new screws so they know which tap to use. Should cost ~$50 but will give you piece of mind and save you the run around.
                            My uncle made the same suggestion. He knows a good local machine shop and took it to them yesterday. haven't heard back yet, but he said it'd be about $50-$65.

Thanks to you other guys as well, I'm always hesitant to buy used things like this, because I don't know the history of the item. It probably doesnt make sense but I like keeping MY stuff even if it means fixing it. kinda hard to explain.

(OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Welding a nut onto the end of the broken off bolt is going to be your best bet. Not only does it give you something to grip onto, the heat from welding helps break it loose.

The issues is a steel bolt in an aluminum hole. The aluminum corrodes and freezes the bolt in place. If it's bad enough, it might never come out.

Comment

Working...
                              X