ECU connector missing contacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECU connector missing contacts

While trying to diagnose a problem with rough idle I decided to perform some electrical tests to check my ICV and AFM. Checking the AFM involves measuring resistance between pins 7 and 9 on the ECU connector (according to my bentley manual)... problem is there is no contact present on pin 9.

Has anyone seen this before? How do I perform an electrical test on the AFM?
    Attached Files
    1988 Alpinweiß 325i 4D 5SPD

sometimes difficult to tell which side of the connector they are referring to (face or backprobing ) so i like to find the wires by color to be sure im testing the right wires. look up in ETM (also confirm ECU pin #s at that time) then remove back cover on ECU connector and look for those wires by color
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

There is nothing designated for that pin

The AFM related pins are:

7- Signal
      12 - 5v Ref
      26 - Ground
      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

You will not sufficiently verify the AFM is ok without an oscilloscope when measuring that signal. Simply because a DMM acquires data and displays and average, while an o-scope measures true signal and is plotted over time. O-scopes are also high freq devices so any errors or voltage drops in the milliseconds will be captured, however a DMM will not be able to.
        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Thank you all for the info. I do have an oscilloscope but I don't have enough reason to suspect the AFM is contributing to my problems. I was thinking it would be an easy test like the ICV.
          1988 Alpinweiß 325i 4D 5SPD

Comment

You are using a 35 pin motronic 1.0 pinout chart against a 55 pin motronic 1.1/1.3 connector.

See http://e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/ECU_Pinouts

Comment

The Bentley is wrong. Pin 26 is the AFM common, pin 7 is the air flow input, pin 12 is the reference output, and pin 46 is the intake air temperature input.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
              X