1985 325e Idle problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 325e Idle problems...

Long Story: Took the 325e in to get an exhaust leak taken care of. The guy ended up pulling the wires from the O2 sensor by mistake...

We attempted to patch the wires back in to the O2 sensor and started the car. It revved up to 3k we promptly turned off the car and set off to get a new O2 sensor... Installed the new O2 sensor and it still holds at 3K but after a little time it drops down revs back and forth between 1k-2k (Longer than we had ran it the first time so unsure if it was doing this prior to the new O2 sensor.

After a little searching around the interwebz I kept seeing posts about the Idler Control Valve getting gunked up and sticking. So I pulled it and ran some break clean through it which made no difference. It passed the shake and click test before and after cleaning.

I know I am living on borrowed time with a head gasket... been loosing coolant from a small external head gasket leak, unsure about internal leaks.

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? DOA O2 sensor? I was not the one to install it so I am unsure about its correctness of install.....

damn e30s and their idles. They are always off. Buy brand new MAF, and Idle Control valve. install them, if it works, then it works, if it doesnt, you can always return them in 30 days. Those 2 could be the main issues, but if its just a little 100-200 idle issue that makes the car shake, then you get a valve adjustment.

Tried cleaning them carburetor cleaner, but it doesnt make a huge difference.

Comment

Working...
    X