Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 88' 318i | Underpowered Euro Content

Hello guys,

Some of you have seen me here already, i am mostly knows for the 5-lug kit i offer, but for those who haven't let me introduce :)

I'm Max, and im a student from Europe, Lithuania - i study car mechanics, currently it's my last year.
    I own a 1988 Diamond Black Metallic 318i with an M40B18 engine (83kW).
    It was a long story of how i got the car, but in the end result i was really happy, it's a one owner car straight from Germany with only 193000km on the odometer. The original owner was 1964 man if i am not mistaken.

The condition i got it in was pretty good, i mean there was some rust here and there, but nothing major.
    Here are a few pictures of how i got it:

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/...showbig331.jpg

When i got it, it already had some funky lowering springs and a fiberglass front valance. The valance was not bad - but i really loved the way it looked without it, so it had to go.

I do agree that i did some strange things with the car, look at which now i do regret about some of them. One of them would be these white LED angel eyes:

They looked good at the beginning. But then random LED's stared to burn out and it looked like crap..
    I actually swapped the for a set of RGB ones later..

After one night of our downtown roads i had the oil sump cracked:

Even thought there's a lot of M40 engined E30's here - i could not find a replacement pan, so had to weld that one. Cost me a fortune, but the guy sure did a good job, considering a big piece was missing..

Was waiting for summer so i could start working on it, here's a few pictures from that period:

But summer came and fixing began.

Friend helping:

Did drive like this for a while until i got the money to paint it:

Here's a photo after it got painted:

Oh, and here's another thing i don't really want to remember about - the rice N1 muffler:

Good old M40:

At this point i was pretty happy with the car, it was driving good, all i wanted was the front to sit lower, so i was in search for coilovers.

Random shot:

And i went for JOM's. I needed new shocks anyway, and those just came for the price i could not refuse:

Yet another random pic:

Here's a pic of the coil's getting installed:

This was the result after letting them sit for a few days:

The rear became way higher that it was before i installed the coils, so i took the adjuster out later. It still did not set to the point it was before. But i sure loved the front more :)
    I can always go lower in the front, currently i have left the original spring plates on, if i cut those i could get a few more cm's of drop.

One day i got really bored on fixing the rust so i got these:

Best part? They cost the same as new, Chinese metal fenders cost :)

One more random pic:

Swapped my wheels for these nice steelies i got as winter tires when i bought the car:

Did that just so i could do this:

It may be hard to see but i polished them

At that point i still did not install the fiberglass fenders, so it looked like this:

Then i got these (Which i still haven't got to install too..):

They're the plastic sideskirts from a Touring. They're mission the front fender parts - so i got a steal on them.

Did i tell you i cracked the sump, again? This time i did not want to weld it or search for a replacement so i did what any other guy would i do. I did this:

It did get modified after that, i had to make it lower so the oil pickup would fit. Since the guy who made it, actually made it shorter than it was originally.
    I did remove the rust before i installed it.

With the engine being lubed properly i could finally take a cruise in the beauty:

The got a pair of original headlights just so i could open them again and install CCFL angel eyes in them:

Some random maintenance to the front suspension:

Then had an alignment done. From this:

To this:

On my birthday i got this from my friends, love em:

So i finally got around to painting and installing the fiberglass fenders:

The still need a polish and the trim piece put on. Also an alignment. Badly..

Put the gift hood on:

Installed IS sport seats, which were refinished in leather with a heating element added in them. Winters are cold :)

Got a deal on some OEM wheels from Germany:

One might notice they're 5-lug, but i'm sure i'l solve it ;D

So that basically brings us to Today. Last thing i got for her - was this nice piece:

A fiberglass Rieger Infinity lip :)
    Still need to straighten the valance so i can fit it probably, but really happy with how it looks on the car :)

There were way more modifications than are covered here, some of them did not have pictures taken, some are just forgotten.
    Here's a few i remember:

- Front brakes were upgraded to a 325 vented setup.
    - Power windows with E36 switches and one-touch modules.
    - Heated seats
    - Random things like stereo/keyless entry

There's a lot of things i want to do, the main ones are:

- M42 swap (Still looking into this)
    - 5-lug SWAP
    - Install the sideskirts
    - Change rear beam bushings (Already got some Poly-ones)

Hope you loved the read.
    The progress is going to be slow, but it's a solid one.

Thank you,
    Max.
    Last edited by Max399; 09-15-2014, 04:40 AM.
    5-lug Kit | E36 & E46 Hub & Brake Adaptor for E30!
    Leave feedback about my transactions!
    sigpic

I like it.
    1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
    1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
    bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Nice hood!

Comment

Lose the angel eyes immediately

90 M3 brilliantrot/schwarz
        90 M5 brilliantrot/schwarz
        87 325 alpinweiss/houndstooth (building)
        90 735i/5 islandgrün-metallic/schwarz (daily)
        87 Foxbody Notch 5.0 5spd SSP (other daily)
        71 F-250 4x4 390 4spd

Comment

Thank's guys :)
          Haha, the CCFL's are staying. Well at least for the moment, i like how they look with the white hood.
          sigpic

Comment

I like the angel eyes with the smoked ellipsoids and eyebrows.
            1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
            1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
            bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Thank you :)

Little update on whats been done:

- Straightened and painted the valance.
              - Fitted the Rieger lip.
              - Stood back and stared....
              - Took off the fog lights so i could fix them.
              - Swapped my grilles for a set of freshly painted ones.

Looks decent now. New grilles did not have the eyebrows on them, still thinking if i should swap them to the new ones.. Kinda like how it looks at the moment :)
              Will post pictures as soon as i can take some more/less normal ones :)

Max.
              sigpic

Comment

Ok, so here's the picture of how it currently looks:

Need to attach the front fender moldings to the new fiberglass fenders, also thinking on going all yellow film on the foglights, i think it need's a little more color in the front..

Also, does anyone know where i can get the plastic sideskirt part that attaches to the fender? I got the long one, just need the fender part... Don't care if it's a fiberglass copy or an original part.
                sigpic

Comment

Hey guys, decided to update this thread.

Not much progress was made since the last update, been piling up parts mostly.
                  Got some cheap rear E36/5 drum trailing arms, will do just fine with my 5-lug swap.
                  All i need now - is E36 hubs and rotors + calipers. And money..

Got myself a garage, it's in rough shape, biggest thing it needs is some floor, since the old wooden planks have completely rotten over time.. Gotta go concrete floors on it.

That would be it for today :)
                  No pics, sorry.

Max.
                  sigpic

Comment

Looks good, after owning a sedan for awhile I don't see many I like, but this one is looking good.
                    View my build thread. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=287724

Comment

Hey guys, sorry for no updates in a long time, but i do have some news :)

So ok, first i'l dump some Instagram photos (kenny_aka_max is the username if anyone is interested)

So i got myself a roof rack:

Even thought it as mainly a style thing, i did haul some things with it:

Then i decided to yellow tint my fogs, which came out pretty nice:

So all that was pretty nice i loved the way the car looked, but then i got backed into me :)

And im actually happy with that :)
                      I will explain in a second why.

The damage was small, basically the fiberglass fender broke, the headlight frame broke and i got pushed with the spare tire well into some concrete.

Now with the good news, the money i got from insurance was enough to fix the fender, fix the lights, fix the spare tire well. And not only :)

It also allowed me to fix both of the rear arches from rust and holes, fix rust on the sides and paint both sides of the car :)

Currently the car is still at the body shop, currently it looks like this:

So that's it i guess ;)
                      Oh, aslo, here's a teaser from a local E30 meet i was at:

sigpic

Comment

Little update :)
                        Right after paint:

And the other side being polished/buffed:

Thats it for today :)
                        sigpic

Comment

Nice.. I like it!

Comment

looks great. nice job.

Comment

Update time ;)

So the car got fixed, and i got to enjoy the look.
                              Here is how she looked after the paint:

As you can see, i have removed the graffiti hood in preparation for the winter season.

Also got some Mtech 1 looking fiberglass sideskirts:

They're pretty sketchy in their current state, need to fix them here and there, but i do think they fit good with the Rieger front lip :)

My dream would come true if i could find a cheap Breyton rear apron. Would look awesome.

So current state is winter mode. About to change wheels, no front lip, everything stock :)

Next season is going to introduce some nice changes.
                              Mostly awaited for me is a 5-lug swap using the adapters i sell. Already got all the parts, will be using stock E36 325 brakes, and rear E36 Compact Drum brakes.
                              The sideskirts will also be added.

Also trying to find some cheap E38 BBS RZ R16's. Really love how they look on E30's.

Oh, had my car filmed for my local collage, if anyone wants to see some teaser videos, they are on my Instagram. It's kenny_aka_max :)

So thats it for today :)

Thank you,
                              Max.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X