Official 2014 World Cup Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 5ickride View Post
    Damn!! Falcao will miss the World Cup! Not good for Colombia.
    the betting odds for colombia re the same after this news. pretty sure most people didnt think he was going to recover in time

Originally posted by alexth1 View Post
    First off Brazil is favorite to win no matter where they play, who they play, and what they're playing for. S@&t, even in friendly matches they are favorite to win, and yes, this World Cup is no different. However, my prediction is that given the fact the cup is in Brazil they're gonna have a lot of pressure to win it, therefore falling short of the semi finals . As for my pick my heart is with Mexico and second the Netherlands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    brazil is kinda odd in pressure- for one the wrecked everyone in the confed cup at home but get completely out played by mexico in the Olympic final.
    they do have a very very solid squad- a lot of mid field depth which they will be using a lot since fred is the only out and out striker and hes not all that great

Originally posted by 5ickride View Post
    Mexico has a solid squad...they did very well in the U17 and U20 tournaments a few years ago and now these guys are part of the World Cup team. I still have trouble seeing them beating a much more polished and sophisticated team like Spain, Germany, or Brazil also.

On a side note, how does everyone feel about Donovan not making the squad? Surprised? Has Klinsmann gone mad?

My opinion is I think he gave everyone a reason to put him in the hotseat when the US gets sent packing back home. Its already a tough group to get out of even with Donovan but now that he left him out of the roster it just means fans will use that as the excuse. I dont know.
    i think mexico and brazil will make it out of the group but like always mexico will fall at the first hurdle.

im guessing Donovan is out to have a more complete squad where the play doesnt revolve around one single player. i would have included him but i guess we will see how it works out

Comment

Check out what Klinsmann said on the Donovan issue! Wow!

In an interview with Sam Borden of The New York Times, Klinsmann said some things that explain his rationale behind the decision.

He said he doesn't believe that past accolades should be taken into account when planning for the future.

He used a Kobe Bryant analogy to illustrate this point. He said the two-year $48.5-million extension that the Los Angeles Lakers gave Kobe last fall was insane. From The New York Times:

"'This always happens in America,' Klinsmann told me, waving his hands in the air. 'Kobe Bryant, for example — why does he get a two-year contract extension for $50 million? Because of what he is going to do in the next two years for the Lakers? Of course not. Of course not. He gets it because of what he has done before. It makes no sense. Why do you pay for what has already happened?'"

The contract makes no sense in a strictly rational sense. Kobe is aging and the salary figure will cripple the team's salary-cap flexibility. But they did it because he's Kobe, and he has meant so much to the franchise for the last 15 years.

Klinsmann doesn't believe in this sort of sentimentalism. Succeeding in the past doesn't entitle you to an award in the future. He told The Times that he watched Donovan play in MLS (a league he clearly resents) when he got back from his lengthy 2013 sabbatical, and he wasn't impressed:

"He came back, and he was playing in M.L.S., and people say, 'Oh, he's playing well,' but what does that really mean? This is where M.L.S. hurts him. He was playing at 70 percent, 80 percent, and he was still dominant. That doesn't help anyone."

"I watched the games. What was I supposed to say? That he was good? He was not good. Not then. No way. So he had to wait."

It's cold, but it makes sense.

Comment

So donovan wasn't playing his prime and still was better in the MLS so therefore he wont play in the world cup?

Comment

I think he's saying that playing in MLS doesn't really mean much because it's a weak league.

Comment

I actually agree with Klinsmann. Donovan is past his prime, and the national team needs to be looking towards the future. The likelihood of the US making it out of the group stage is slim, and even if this year they don't have much of a chance it'll be a good way to expose newer players to the biggest stage there is.

That said, I'd love for the US to surprise everyone and make a run. If the other 3 teams beat each other up there is a chance. I really expect Belgium to surprise a lot of people. Mexico will make it out of the group stage, but that's it. They're too streaky and have trouble closing out games. Germany and Portugal are perennial contenders, and Uruguay is dangerous. I agree that Brazil has immense pressure to win at home, and that could go either way.
            88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
            We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

I happen to think Klinsmann should have included Donovan and the point was brought up by someone i was speaking with. Donovan is essentially the face of US soccer, he's the best player we've ever had. But, on a larger scale, soccer is still a growing sport in the US and it would have been great for the SPORT in the US if he was included. I think that's what Klinsmann failed to see.

Comment

I think Uruguay could be a shocker and make it fairly deep... or not. Their group is so hit and miss, you'd think England and Italy would be clearly the ones who get out, but they easily could flop haha
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Uruguay is going to hurt some feelings. Im suprised everyone is so quick to dismiss Spain this year. Their squad is definitely on the older side but I still think they got it in them to make a run
                  Originally posted by blunttech
                  Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                  :shock:

Comment

reus is out for germany...ouch

Comment

Ready.

Yours truly,
                      Rich
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by Rigmaster
                      you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

As long as Spain doesn't win it again I'm happy. Really I just want to see good matches being played, of course going for Mexico but I think Brazil could stomp everyone early on
                        Youtube channel is up!-->According2Valentine

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                        If lucky, the E36 will die peacefully, in its natural habitat, and be given the prestigious honor of donating its parts to an E30
                        Originally posted by J3M93
                        This guy delivers, you are a boss

Comment

Got my jersey today!

Comment

After the U.S. wins the World Cup pork prices will soar because all the little fckers will be flying away...
                            Originally posted by HarryPotter
                            not to be racist but i've had multiple african americans comment on how they love my car. I've seen pics of e30's rolling through africa with at least 15-20 africans on them with ak-47's. WILD. its in the african blood. Hope this wasn't too racist, forgive me as I am intoxicated.
                            Instagram: @jstnlws

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
                              That's the spirit!

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarz3 View Post
                                As long as Spain doesn't win it again I'm happy. Really I just want to see good matches being played, of course going for Mexico but I think Brazil could stomp everyone early on
                                Possible, but then again it's all on who you matchup against. Aside from Colombia I'd like to see Argentina or Mexico make a run at it. I'd love for the US to get the glory but US soccer is just not there yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X