Six Sigma green belt or BA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six Sigma green belt or BA?

I know there's alot of students/grads on here. I'm having an issue. Since I got a raise last year at my job I am no longer eligible for Pell Grants. I already have about $13000 in student loans and about a year out from an associates (I've been bouncing back and forth on majors for the first 2 1/2 years of college). During this summer before the school year was to start I enrolled in Six Sigma courses and am about to finish up the yellow belt (laugh I know but it's the introductory course). Now to go to school, I'll be forking $1200 this semester to go to school where as I will pay the same to get a green belt in six sigma at ASU for the same $$. I plan on having a bachelor's in business and a six sigma black belt by 30-32 as far as my goals for my education.

In your guys' opinion, would I yield greater returns with just pursuing my degree right now, and taking my sigma course next summer which would result in my degree being finished sooner, or should I just take my course for six sigma, possibly get a higher pay rate for it sooner, save for school and go back when I am fully financially secure enough to pay for school out of my pocket?
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

I'd finish school first.
    sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Finish school. Totally worth it.

Comment

I will echo what I always say debt sucks, that said I would do whats going to get the better pay scale the easiest now. This seems to me as a "make hay while the sun is shining" kinda situation.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

The issue I see is that I haven't found too many places where six sigma quality certification is going to yield better pay, except MAYBE having your black belt.
          sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Get your degree, at least in the aircraft industry six sigma doesn't mean crap. It's only a fancy certificate that says you know how to lower costs, fads like it will come and go. A degree will still allow you qualify for jobs, where as a six sigma will only help you rise to the top once you're already qualified.

Comment

Bachelor's first. There's a bunch of Six Sigma guys where I work and I can't stop feeling that it's kinda BS. I'm an Mech engineer, btw. Also, a lot of places won't hire you without a Bachelor's to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by e30serg View Post
                Bachelor's first. A lot of places won't hire you without a Bachelor's to begin with.
                +This.
                88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

lol at the whole six sigma bullshit.

What in the fuck does six sigma have to do with VSM maps and spaghetti charts?

I dare someone to explain that to me. BTW, don't try. I actually know personally one of the 3 gentleman that developed the six sigma theory.

OP, ignore my rant. Like others have said, finish your BS first. BS degrees are the new AS degrees.

Comment

LOL my company's hella hyped on six sigma. get a bachelors.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                      Finish school. Totally worth it.
                      Srsly. You won't go back to school once you start making money. It's easier to be a broke student than to leave the workforce/go to school in the evenings.

Those statistics about college degree owners earning more over the course of their lifetime aren't bullshit.

If you have debt, pay your bills. Nothing beats a good credit rating either. I owe like $60k in student loans still, but don't mind making the payments each month because 1) they're super low and 2) they make me look good to lenders.
                      2011 1M Alpine white/black
                      1996 Civic white/black
                      1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

School.

I'm 30 and finally finishing up my bachelors. I had the opportunity to do six sigma and my PMP already but I'm just trying to get the BS finished first. A bachelors will follow you everywhere, I'm in the heavy steel fabrication business, six sigma and PMP don't mean crap here.
                        sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                          School.

I'm 30 and finally finishing up my bachelors. I had the opportunity to do six sigma and my PMP already but I'm just trying to get the BS finished first. A bachelors will follow you everywhere, I'm in the heavy steel fabrication business, six sigma and PMP don't mean crap here.
                          Damn, a PMP certification was also on my to do list. I am working on being an internal project manager at my work and figured with a bachelor's, black belt in sigma, and a PMP cert. I would be set. Mind you this is all my goals in the next 6-7 years.
                          Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                          This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                            LOL my company's hella hyped on six sigma. get a bachelors.
                            Same here. Degree 1st! If the company you work for needs LSS or wants it, they may already have the classes in place for you to do it on their dime...such as I did.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by slaterd View Post
                              Damn, a PMP certification was also on my to do list. I am working on being an internal project manager at my work and figured with a bachelor's, black belt in sigma, and a PMP cert. I would be set. Mind you this is all my goals in the next 6-7 years.
                              It's a great goal man, you'd be a dangerous PMP. but it may not be where you work now. I think the best foundation is the Bachelors. then build on it, like some others have said, Sigma and PMP are valuable to the right people/companies.
                              sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Working...
                              X