No announcement yet.

E30 #2: 1990 Delphin: RHD ITB M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wheels turned out great. I am considering refinishing my BBS RF 3 piece wheels, your instructions will come in handy if I do. I was going to try and convert them to 16" from 15" but the step-up lips are ridiculously priced. And your car looks excellent. The only thing I would do different is chrome kidney's.
    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

@rzerob: Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions.

Ended up going with a 1" spacer for the Momo. Hand position relative to the stalks is perfect now. FYI, you'll need 40mm M5x.8 bolts. Made my first entry in the oil logbook the PO was keeping, Valvoline VR1 20W50. Crazy to think the car saw as few as 1k miles some years. Got a few more pictures with better light. Also not going any lower at this point, all four corners rub a *tiny* bit when driving hard.

I think i'm going to look into running the RHD Engineering ITB kit, a nice header/exhaust combo, and Whodwho's MS.

Last edited by 318aye; 08-11-2017, 03:55 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

So, stripping and polishing the hardware turned out to be a bad call. I think I stripped through the zinc as they corroded pretty much immediately. $90 worth of 316 stainless hardware later, the problem is resolved. Replaced each bolt one at a time, maintaining a star pattern and didn't have to dismount anything.

Also, the same giant dildo knob I've had in my last three cars. Severely highlighted the need to shorten the throw. Considering the AKG body mount shifter, but worried about driveline play. Anecdotal evidence says I could get away with new beefier rubber mounts or maybe soft poly's and be ok. Post if you've had experience with that shifter!

Last but not least, the RHD ITB kit is on its way! Should be here before March. Going with Keith's (Whodwho) MS2 again. Still really lost on exhaust options. Seems like Bavauto or IE would be the way to go for a longtube header, but availability sucks.

Last edited by 318aye; 08-11-2017, 03:56 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Wow those rims turned out amazing! Car looks great man
          sigpic

Comment

ITBs!!! Not only subed but locked in! What about brake booster setup?

COTM

Comment

The RHD kit clears all the standard brake equipment. I think the biggest modification may be an e36 throttle cable (according to the other guy that has these in the US). Trying to have it done in time for Vintage, Dan.
              sigpic

Comment

ITB's, awesome. Keep up the good work.
                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

dyno before any ITB and mods

Comment

Going to try to. My tuner is 3.5 hours away. There are other dyno facilities locally but that would add more oranges to the apples to apples comparison.
                    sigpic

Comment

I've had the AKG shifter on my car for 2 years now. Stock Rubber trans bushings. You wouldn't want anything more because you will just get a bunch of noise from the trans.

I have poly bushings sitting around but don't see any issue with the stock rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                        I've had the AKG shifter on my car for 2 years now. Stock Rubber trans bushings. You wouldn't want anything more because you will just get a bunch of noise from the trans.

I have poly bushings sitting around but don't see any issue with the stock rubber.
                        So you have no issues with missed shifts, etc because of the removal of the carrier? The wives tale that has me scared is that the driveline will move too much with stock mounts.
                        sigpic

Comment

Wooo. Shiny. More to come later.
                          Last edited by 318aye; 08-11-2017, 03:57 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

"Individual throttle bodies" is one of those phrases that get my blood going. Like "forced induction" and "opposite lock".
                            1998 M3 - Sold
                            1991 318i - Sold
                            1998 323is - Daily
                            1986 325es - Project

Comment

@Gunner_1886: lol I'm excited too.

First on the agenda is going to be degreasing the engine/bay, and getting the car on a dyno locally for a baseline. Keith is roughly two weeks out on the ECU, so that will give me time to get the intake manifold off the car and start sizing up what I want to tuck/reposition/clean up underneath the intake manifold. I'm searching for a set of used Bavauto headers, we'll see how that pans out. Would really like to do coated headers and then stainless all the way back.

To-Be-Purchased (For those thinking about going ITB themselves, will update and add items as they come):

E36 4Cyl Throttle Cable (necessary for LHD cars, but not really advertised up front)

PS Reservoir and Lines

AEM 30-2310 Inline Wideband

GM Open Element IAT

Intake/Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Bitch Tube O-Rings

Whatever I need to clean up loose ends in the bay

Bluetooth Serial Adapter for MS

Filter Socks

ITG Sock:

Going for this overall look, maybe with a wrinkle blue on the valve cover to match the anodizing:

So, on to the kit itself. I'm a picky guy (especially for a silly $1400 intake), and I want to give an honest account for anyone thinking about buying from RHD, or doing ITB's in general as the documentation is lacking. I was a bit miffed that Rama's prices went up right before he was able to fulfill my order, but so far he and his product have been worth every penny. Kit arrived reasonably well packaged 5 days after it left RHD. Only shipping casualty was a SLIGHT dent on the non-flared end of one of the trumpets, resolved with a few light taps with a socket.

Quality Gripes: The finish on the inside of the trumpets is a bit rough. Nothing performance affecting, but I'm going full disclosure.

The castings for the manifolds themselves are also a bit rough (porosity issues, mainly), mostly on the underside. Again, non performance affecting. I suspect most if not all of these parts are made somewhere in Asia in order to get to a marketable price point, and if that's the case I'd say Rama has done a great job as far as quality control.

Finally, one of the screws I received for the trumpet clamps was shorter than the rest. It still worked fine.

Design Gripes: The linkage arms for each throttle pair are clamped onto the butterfly shafts at whatever angle you so desire. The relative positioning is then adjustable from there via a set screw. Being OCD, I spent a good bit of time trying to get all of them completely vertical (even though these won't see the car for a month or two). It would be nice to have the arms keyed to the shaft similar to how the TPS is, but I'm not sure that that method would give the adjustability you'd need (gripe possibly invalid). I imagine I'll need to remove the trumpets and ram tubes in order to keep the throttles closed while fine tuning the linkage once everything is on the car. The throttle return spring also seems like it might be too weak, but we'll see. Dyno4mance (my main source of info pre-purchase) on e30tech ended up adding a spring as seen in the above picture. He also claimed that the provided TPS didn't hold a calibration in Megasquirt, so I'll address that if it proves to be an issue.

Again, the above is me being as nit-picky as possible for anyone who needs reassurance before pulling the trigger. Those are legitimately all the issues I ran into while assembling the kit off the car. I probably stared at the kit sitting on the table for a good 45 minutes this evening. The machining is fantastic aside from the one issue mentioned above. No hole misalignment bullshit, everything is precise and nicely finished. One bank is predrilled for an air line to the brake booster, fitting included. O-rings fit perfectly. The anodizing looks excellent, and is consistent part to part. All the hardware is stainless, and all threaded parts assembled smoothly. Overall: A high quality product for a good price, cannot wait to get everything on the car.

Kit Contents:

Anodizing:

Throttles:

Trumpet with Clamp:

Assembled sans linkage:

"Master" Bank:

Middle "Linkage" Bank:

Assmbled with linkage:

Linkage close-up:

More assembled:

Last edited by 318aye; 08-11-2017, 04:14 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

E30 #2: 1990 Delphin: RHD ITB M20

Originally posted by 318aye View Post
                                So you have no issues with missed shifts, etc because of the removal of the carrier? The wives tale that has me scared is that the driveline will move too much with stock mounts.

Unless youre cornering at high G loads you *might* have issues with shifting. For street driving you just won't.

It's really notchy and unforgiving if you fuck up a shift, due to the amount of leverage the long shifter gives you
                                But the full race feel you get is just epic

I got the shifter on a discount so I jumped on it

Comment

Working...
                                X