Power-curve straightened...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power-curve straightened...

The thread on the road to my supercharged m20b27i has grown too long to be useful to anyone but me. So here's a sum-up, along with some notable future additions. Future additions being a turbo and associated hardware, aka: twin charging.

I had read about 1,000 turbo cars and, well, it was covered. I wanted to break different ground. So I bought an Eaton M90 from a 89 Thunderbird off a guy on CL. $100 cash money.

So I went to work on a pulley setup. This is what I came up with. It's an m50 crank pulley in place of the a/c and power steering pulleys. A small piece of angle iron with a cut-off old head bolt welded to it for a idler pulley bracket. I just went to O'reilly and got some $15 idler pulley, from a Pontiac I think. I had a hub-centric spacer made of aluminum (about 5/8" thick) so the m50 power steering pulley would line up with the "new" crank pulley and the blower pulley. I'm using the power steering pump's tensioner. I mocked-up the intake manifold with scrap wood originally.

Then I went on to build the intake manifold. I just ran the stock m20 manifold through the table saw and left myself about 2" of original manifold runner and the flange. I then ordered a 12"x48" piece of 1/4" aluminum off of ebay. Super easy to cut up on the table saw. I made it into pieces of an intake mani to take to a pro to weld up for me.

I would need a by-pass valve to recirculate the boost when not hard on the throttle, so I looked on the web and found one from a Mini that just looked right and was "flat surface mountable". Plumbed it up and mounted it and voila!

Now that hose is just a cut-off m20 radiator hose and it does see vacuum when the throttle is closed, so I coiled up a piece of 10 gauge copper wire inside of it to keep it from imploding.

Bracket or two here, throttle body there, throw a Whodwho ms2 in there and you have yourself a backwoods, cheap as can be, fricking torquey as hell, m20b25 in your e30. It made 9.5 peak psi of boost, but it's usually around 7-8. Boost comes on immediately. It was making 6psi by 2000rpm.

I've since upgraded to a m20b27i and with the same setup it's now making 6.5psi peak and is usually in the 5psi range.

Also, no intercooler at this time, but I'll be adding methanol/water injection soon and a FMIC for the turbo when it happens.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer to the best of my ability.

Now, on to the "whys"?
    Because I like building shit. That's why.
    Last edited by Ether-D; 04-27-2015, 05:06 AM.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

I like it, did you ever get any numbers from the non-intercooled setup?
    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
    (Daily Driver)
    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
    KW V2 Coilovers
    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

No official numbers. I have an app called Dynolicious that claimed it made 216hp. I'll do a run in the new setup to see how it compares though. I'm gonna have the 2.7i dyno tuned soon, so I'll have some actual numbers for yous.
      Last edited by Ether-D; 04-26-2015, 09:36 AM.
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ive done alot of research into twin charging, one of the main issues is that it compounds the boost. 6psi on a supercharger and 6 psi on a turbo charger does not equate to 12psi of net boost, its is much more.
        Also to run a big turbo for top end at 7-8 psi requires a decent size waste gate so you do not get boost creep.

Comment

Yeah, from what I've read, it seems like you end up with the sum of the two boost numbers plus about a third more. So 6psi turbo and 6psi supercharger make something like 16psi if/when they peak at the same time.
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Teeheehee. :mrgreen:
            '91 318is M52 Turbo (in pieces)

Comment

Originally posted by chondamx View Post
              Teeheehee. :mrgreen:
              I mostly have this guy to blame for the turbo tomfoolery that has commenced…
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Definitely get a reading of what your air intake temperatures are currently and try to get them as low as possible before twin charging, the addition of a turbo means more work is being done so alot more heat.

Comment

Totally, methanol injection is next in line. Taco, could you give me a refresher course on meth/water injection?
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

That's awesome, can't believe it was hitting 6 psi at 2k. Why'd the boost drop with the 2.7?
                    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                    e30 restoration and V8 swap
                    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Crazy

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                        That's awesome, can't believe it was hitting 6 psi at 2k. Why'd the boost drop with the 2.7?
                        For one, it has more volume to fill with air, but it did drop more than I thought it would, so it could have a bit of a leak somewhere also. I changed my method of gasketry on the intake manifold to supercharger seals, so it could be that they aren't working as well as they were previously.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Everything worked out well with the 2.7 bottom end? I'm glad!

Comment

It is absolutely perfect. I could feel the crosshatching with my fingernail it was so defined still. Thanks Andy.B and Swanny!!!
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I researched the methanol injection last night and found this website. I like his theory, so I found comparable stuff on ebay and purchased it. The main parts of the system (pump, nozzles, solenoid valve, and pressure switch) cost me $73. There will be several plumbing and wiring additions, but I see this setup being quite a bit more affordable than the kits on ebay.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~
                              I was born on 3/25…
                              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X