Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 325i M-Tech 2

Hi,
    I figured I'd start thread to document the work to my 1988 325I M-Tech II I acquired last fall.
    I traded my 96' Supercharged M3

For this 88 M-tech

The only Knock on the car is that it is rocking a "rebuilt" title, however, as you can see the damage was quite minimal.
    Here's a Picture of the car's damage the previous owner provided me.

Car as i received it:
    104000km (63000miles)
    Zero rust
    Auto
    Running on 16x9 Klutch SL1's
    Neo-Motorsport green Coilovers--
    -Anyone hear of these things? The ride is actually really good thus far, But I've never heard of this brand before.

2015 :
    OCT: Coolant test prior to storage... Found to be mostly water... (thank god i checked before storing it)
    Flushed with BMW blue coolant.
    SixerFixer provided me with some nice black BMW Premium sound rear deck speaker covers- I Had to install backwards because of the after market speakers the Previous owner had, but definitely suits the car much more than the fugly Clarion covers!
    -Parked for winter

Spring 2016:
    Pulled car out of storage last week-
    I left the battery in the truck all winter... *face palm, I thought it was toast, but thankfully a good two days on the trickle charger brought it back to life..
    Car fired right up, no issues...

Replaced the hood strut- (no more using a broom for me!)

I Took Car in today to have a dent removed, I'm quite happy with the results
    (I forgot to get a before picture, but here's the results, Dent was just above rear fender)

The car has had some paint work done on it in the past, so some panels were in better paint condition than others. I took the opportunity to have the shop give the whole car a "Ming" polish. (It's a company out here, they guarantee the shine for 5 years) I'm very happy with the results

I'm planing to give the car a good once over shortly and see what general maintenance items it's going to need moving forward...
    But here's the game plan:

Priority #1 - Give the car a slight lift... It's a bit too low and harsh for the streets of my city, the rear tires were also rubbing terribly, so i pulled the spacers out in the mean time.. Roasted a pair of tires before i really noticed though =/

#2 5-spd Swap- Sourced some parts locally here, I'm just waiting for them to be pulled from a parts car. I'm hoping to get rolling on that by late April. I'll post the progress..

#3 catback exhaust- Muffler is pretty toast, outer shell has rusted pretty badly, I'm thinking of IE - but also was leaning towards Ebay Copy :P

#4 - If money allows, i'd like to swap the wheels for something more classic... I'm leaning toward E38 16inch Style 5s...

Updates to follow...
    Last edited by Marcus33; 08-23-2016, 04:56 PM.

87 325is - 88 635CSi - 03 Jetta 1.8T - 04 V70R

Comment

Very nice. 5 speed swap was one of the first mods I had done to my first car. It made a huge difference in the driving experience.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

A new set of wheels will certainly make a big difference. This is a cool car. Keep this thread updated
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Looks great! Definitely go for the 5MT swap

Are you using the OEM speaker grilles with the aftermarket speakers, sans cover? I have some similarly ugly speakers installed and never thought about just swapping the covers...

Comment

I'm interested in your rims when you decide to sell :)
            Current
            | '91 318is | M50b28 | Schrick | Racing Dynamic's |

Late 2016
            | S50 Frankenstein Turbo Build |

Past
            | '93 325is | '87 325is | '92 240sx | '92 GTI | '87 325e | '84 318i | '95 325is | '92 318is | '87 325i

sigpic
            Yocale.com

Comment

Should be a good base!

Dustin Wark | Instagram tumblrFlickr

Comment

I need to find a place local that will give my car a "ming" polish. That sh!t looks great
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

So just a little update...

I've been having a fuel issue since day one of the car.
                  When the tank reads zero, I am only able to put 20 -23 litres in it, then it starts filling up the fill tube. I'd also get a smell of fuel around the car for a few days afterwords.. the gauge would then read 30 litres, then creep up to 40, then back down... it's been all over the place.

So the other day i messed around with the sensors, and checked the resistance. they are not reading the same resistance at full/empty, so i'm pretty sure one of them is toast. i cleaned them up, and reinstalled. They seem to be now reading closer to accurate...

I also discovered that the fuel pump was also basically just loose mounted on the tank... and it looks like fuel has been leaking around the seal for an extended period of time... The paint is all bubbled and pealing.

I reinstalled correctly, and test drove. But it was still leaking massively.
                  I ordered a new seal, and installed today : I'm hoping this fixes my problem..

When i removed the pump i noticed something was missing.

I actually found and fished out two screens from the tank! Both clips are damaged, so they are garbage.

one was just caked with gunk...

I reinstalled the pump, and attempted to fire it up..
                  Car fired up for a second or two, then died... It will not start now. It doesn't sound like the pump is running anymore. =/

I think i'm just going to replace the pump anyways, as this one looks pretty rusty.
                  Anyone running Delphi Pumps? Seems to be quite a bit less expensive compared to the siemens one... Should i be worried about running it?

Could the lack of a pump sealing on the tank cause the over filling issue i was having? With no pressure building up in the tank, causing the filling pump to not stop? does my logic make sense?

Comment

Just replace the pump and you should be good. I would also change the fuel filter while you're at it, you probably sucked up some crap from the tank without the screen on the bottom of the pump. I think you are probably correct about the sealing/pressure issue.

Comment

Unfortunately I have not had the time to do what i wanted on the car this summer..

I Swapped the fuel pump and the car's been running great all year.

finished off the interior with an Mtech 2 wheel
                      Thanks to Sskoda for that!
                      Awesome to deal with, quick shipping, had the wheel to my door in 3 days!

extra pic for the hell of it.

Comment

bad ass!
                        -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                        91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                        08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                        04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                        Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                        Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Nice. Is the body kit a slightly lighter color than the rest of the car?
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Yes, factory two tone option.

Comment

Almost every ex Japanese mtech 2 car I've seen in Canada has been two tone

Comment

Working...
                              X