No announcement yet.

So you want to attend a track event...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"7) Tools - bring what you can. If you can afford an aluminum jack, bring it. If you can afford an electric impact wrench, bring it. Will make changing tires and bleeding brake that much easier. Bring a box end wrench for your brake bleeding, and a set of sockets and matching wrenches. Screwdrivers. Jack stands... do not get under your car with only a hydraulic jack holding it up. Many of us are guilty of this and were lucky enough not to get hurt... don't gamble with your life."

Scary stuff there. Had a hydraulic jack go out on my while I was under my buddies e30, just behind the drivers side strut. Never boogied out from beneath something so fast in my life. Nor tweaked my back as badly and felt quite that stupid all at the same time. Needless to say: Jack stands. Get then. Use them. The end.
    Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
      "7) Tools - bring what you can. If you can afford an aluminum jack, bring it. If you can afford an electric impact wrench, bring it. Will make changing tires and bleeding brake that much easier. Bring a box end wrench for your brake bleeding, and a set of sockets and matching wrenches. Screwdrivers. Jack stands... do not get under your car with only a hydraulic jack holding it up. Many of us are guilty of this and were lucky enough not to get hurt... don't gamble with your life."

Scary stuff there. Had a hydraulic jack go out on my while I was under my buddies e30, just behind the drivers side strut. Never boogied out from beneath something so fast in my life. Nor tweaked my back as badly and felt quite that stupid all at the same time. Needless to say: Jack stands. Get then. Use them. The end.

+1

I refuse to get under a car without jack stands. And along with those jackstands, I also have the jack under the car as well when possible, with just the slightest pressure (enough so that if a jack stand fails, the car won't move much, just shift weight from the jack stand to the jack).

Along those lines, be careful when lowering a car. I've been working on cars for years, and never once had a problem lowering one with a jack. Last year at New Jersey Motorsports Park, I was lowering my car, the jack was centered over the frame rail. It slipped off the frame rail, and the headers landed on the jack, supporting the weight of the car. I think this happened because NJMP requires you to have a wood board below your jack, and it wasn't allowing my jack to roll as the car lowered. Due to the laws of physics, something had to give...
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Another option if you are, say, changing a flat on the side of the road, or otherwise without jack stands - the wheel you just removed - put it under the car - not as good, but provides something to break the fall if the car comes off the jack.
        Current Cars
        2014 M235i
        2009 R56 Cooper S
        1998 M3
        1997 M3

Comment

I've never gotten under a car without jackstands and a nice big shake test. As said a thousand times, you never know when those seals are going to fail. Never hurts to say it again.

Comment

One thing I didn't see, sorry if I missed it. Motor mounts should be considered a consumable on an E30 that is track driven. Make sure yours are good, or all kinds of hell will break loose.

Comment

Originally posted by TomSuddard View Post
              Motor mounts should be considered a consumable on an E30 that is track driven. Make sure yours are good, or all kinds of hell will break loose.
              It's amazing how much an engine will move around in the engine compartment if the mounts fails. Mine stuck the fan into the radiator.

Comment

June 19th Marina, CA BMW CCA GGC Chapter Auto-X!
                -ROBERT
                1989 325i
                DD & Auto-X
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OreoGaborio View Post
                  Ebert, Roper & Gaboriault give it :up: :up: :up:
                  I'd mostly just be worried about my engine blowing up since it's got 200k miles on it.
                  watch free movies online

Comment

Excellent thread, so many helpful points. It'll be a fair while before I'm out on track, but this has already made a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
                      good stuff. and I need to check this again and have the spares/tools handy. yay.
                      Also don't feel too stupid about trailering your car to a track even if it's bone stock if the track is far from your home. Shit happens, spending a few bucks on a U-Haul trailer is good insurance against a few hundred dollar towing bill if/when something breaks on the track. A few years ago when I took my Camaro to Buttonwillow I discovered that 1 day of extreme punishment + 50 mile old carbon metallic brake pads + 3200 pound F-body = metal to metal goodness. (never even felt them go metal to metal until they were really destroyed) It would have really sucked to make the 3+ hour drive through L.A. with the front brakes grinding their way into the rotor. As it was I just drove it back onto the trailer and didn't worry about my brakes disappearing on the 210 freeway on the trip home

watch movies online

Comment

Originally posted by daviidwilson View Post
                        Also don't feel too stupid about trailering your car to a track even if it's bone stock if the track is far from your home. Shit happens, spending a few bucks on a U-Haul trailer is good insurance against a few hundred dollar towing bill if/when something breaks on the track. A few years ago when I took my Camaro to Buttonwillow I discovered that 1 day of extreme punishment + 50 mile old carbon metallic brake pads + 3200 pound F-body = metal to metal goodness. (never even felt them go metal to metal until they were really destroyed) It would have really sucked to make the 3+ hour drive through L.A. with the front brakes grinding their way into the rotor. As it was I just drove it back onto the trailer and didn't worry about my brakes disappearing on the 210 freeway on the trip home
                        I'd mostly just be worried about my engine blowing up since it's got 200k miles on it.

Comment

it is all true. I made my mistake by showing up with a leak that only got worse when i pushed it on the track (my first time tracking) and after 1 session and a half i was black flagged.
                          ]

Comment

Originally posted by E30_(1st Musk)_ View Post
                            it is all true. I made my mistake by showing up with a leak that only got worse when i pushed it on the track (my first time tracking) and after 1 session and a half i was black flagged.
                            Care to elaborate on this leak and what it was from?

G.Verelli

Comment

Always a good read right before heading to the track. Open lapping on Sunday, first time out this season and I'm pumped. Both my motor mounts failed last season, sucked hard. Sunday's gonna hopefully be awesome.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                              Originally posted by DTM190
                              "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3 View Post
                                I tracked (my first track day actually) my 86 325e with 200k+ miles on it at Sebring with some Goodyear GSCS tires. It was great... just needed some extra hp for the vettes. It was a two day school as well...
                                Another good point that you may think about is...if you know of something that may be on it's last limb, and you can't afford to replace it, don't bother throwing it on the track and testing it's limits.

Comment

Working...
                                X