Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E36 Auto to Manual Wiring Harness Conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome! Now I just gotta hunt down the sensor. (maybe just grab it off my M20B27)

It's an E46 M3 cluster I believe. I just Googled that though. (love the look)
    REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

the typical wire color for the brown coolant sensor is brown yellow, but sometimes it's brown green or brown gray. the brown purple wire isn't used.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I used the temp sensor from my M20B27, so that will work for you. Check your schematics as far as the color of the wire coming from the X20 connector to C101. Nando is correct in both the color of the sensor wire, and that the purple with brown stripe is not used. I like the late model instrument cluster. The E30 M3's are similar. I have read that it can be used with a euro E28 M5 coding plug. That might be something I look into whenever the funds are available, since my stock 7K tach is not very accurate.

Comment

Question for the gurus then -- do the m20 and m10 sensors read differently? My m10 has a different style sensor, with a ground wire. I'm going to try using it with through the e36 harness and see if it works, in wary of the late model sensor not working with my cluster

Comment

That is a good question. My car originally had an M10 and I'm using its instrument cluster and temp gauge with the M20 one wire temp sensor. It seems to be reading correctly. Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading that the M10 sensor is threaded differently. Let us know if you can use the M10 sensor.

Comment

I tapped a hole for the m10 sensor and it's in there now, but I also have a brown top m20 sensor (came with the ZA obd1 kit). Next time im at the car I'll check if they fit the same and obviously when I'm done which one works

Comment

Hey guys, so the wiring is going swimmingly, but I've got a few leftovers.

I tied a brown/orange ground from the DME into the rest of the brown/orange grounds.

I have 3 wires that I sniped, but I would like some verification on. They come from the AUTO X20 connector and go to the DME.

GREY/WHITE
                GREEN/WHITE
                WHITE/RED/YELLOW-DASHES

I think these are ABS, Traction Control and Stability Control?

I have a wire that comes from the X26 connector to the AUTO trans computer, that was labelled "brake lights" in the ETM.

BROWN/GREY

What should I be doing with this?

The harness is getting plugged all back into the engine, but there are 3 leftover plugs in the harness.

Two are CLEAR and BLACK wire, two prong, male connectors. One has a BLUE wrap (pictured) and the other has a YELLOW wrap.

Then there is a BROWN/GREY wire (same color as the brake lights, I just realized), female, one prong connector.

Any help is appreciated, I'll be putting together a DIY for E34 auto -> manual conversions once this is done.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
                  Hey guys, so the wiring is going swimmingly, but I've got a few leftovers.

I tied a brown/orange ground from the DME into the rest of the brown/orange grounds.

I have 3 wires that I sniped, but I would like some verification on. They come from the AUTO X20 connector and go to the DME.

GREY/WHITE
                  GREEN/WHITE
                  WHITE/RED/YELLOW-DASHES

I think these are ABS, Traction Control and Stability Control?

I have a wire that comes from the X26 connector to the AUTO trans computer, that was labelled "brake lights" in the ETM.

BROWN/GREY

What should I be doing with this?

The harness is getting plugged all back into the engine, but there are 3 leftover plugs in the harness.

Two are CLEAR and BLACK wire, two prong, male connectors. One has a BLUE wrap (pictured) and the other has a YELLOW wrap.

Then there is a BROWN/GREY wire (same color as the brake lights, I just realized), female, one prong connector.

Any help is appreciated, I'll be putting together a DIY for E34 auto -> manual conversions once this is done.
                  1. sounds fine

2. remove them from the harness

3. remove from the harness

4. knock sensors

5. oil pressure switch, I think (will double check)
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    1. sounds fine

2. remove them from the harness

3. remove from the harness

4. knock sensors

5. oil pressure switch, I think (will double check)
                    Awesome, thanks. I googled it and couldn't see anything, but where abouts do the knock sensors bolt up to? I can't recall.

And what should I do with the oil pressure switch? I see a plug that could be for it on the oil pan, just plug it in there? (it's now an E34 oil pan, rather then the E36 oil pan)

Comment

No the oil pressure switch is located on the back of the oil filter housing, a little brown connector. Unless you wire up a connector for the oil level sensor it will not be used.

Comment

Yes, I see that connector on the filter housing, but this BROWN/GREY wire goes elsewhere I think.

Comment

Not sure about that one, I'll have to look at mine when I get a chance.

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

Working...
                            X