No announcement yet.

M50/52 Vs. M54 swap, Opinions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

right, but the bosses are supposedly there on the block for the regular mounts. I think in the E90 the motor mounts directly to the frame rails instead of the subframe.

in the BMW engine weight thread, the N52 is listed as 326lbs (22lbs heavier than the N20 according to BMW). It might depend on what was attached when they weighed them. either way, it's got a great power/weight ratio!

S54 water pump costs the same as the N52. they both should last about 100k. no $20 water pumps on newer cars like the M20 though. :(

if you're talking needs, well, nobody needs a swapped E30 of any kind! :D
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      right, but the bosses are supposedly there on the block for the regular mounts. I think in the E90 the motor mounts directly to the frame rails instead of the subframe.

in the BMW engine weight thread, the N52 is listed as 326lbs (22lbs heavier than the N20 according to BMW). It might depend on what was attached when they weighed them. either way, it's got a great power/weight ratio!

S54 water pump costs the same as the N52. they both should last about 100k. no $20 water pumps on newer cars like the M20 though. :(

You're right. And considering a really nice E30, I wouldn't swap the engine. A perfect low mileage 100% stock E30 is becoming rare and valuable indeed. I'll probably track one down myself before prices get too crazy.
      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Just go M52, then you can buy my engine complete with the whole 328i car harnes and and sensors. :P

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

Nando, do you happen to have the piston spec's on the N52b30? I know the bore is 85mm, looking more so for the compression height, pics, valve relief volume etc...

Thanks.

Comment

My X5 (m54b30 5spd) moves pretty well for what it is. I would love to have the silky smooth torque in my E30. I can only imagine how money it would be to have that power plant powering a lightweight E30. Maintenance isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be.
            Originally posted by Sonny
            I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Just FYI guys, I decided to go full retard, and go M60B40. >:-)

Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Working...
              X