No announcement yet.

M50/52 Vs. M54 swap, Opinions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd really like to go with a M54, I just don't think I am going to find a good, non-blown one, and the N52 sounds awesome, but again, it's cost, and availability I am worried about.
    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Wiring is just wiring. What we need are oil pans that work on the E30.. i decided to just make one, lol.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        Wiring is just wiring. What we need are oil pans that work on the E30.. i decided to just make one, lol.
        I see. You have this engine currently running in your E30 then?

Comment

No, working on it. I'm not sure it's been done yet.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
            I'd really like to go with a M54, I just don't think I am going to find a good, non-blown one, and the N52 sounds awesome, but again, it's cost, and availability I am worried about.
            I picked up a beautiful 90,000 mile M54 lasr year.

Comment

It's interesting you guys are recommending the N52. Can the MSV70 ECU be flashed now? Here's some information on it: http://www.kneb.net/bmw/E90/04_N52%20Engine.pdf. It does have many improvements over the M54, such as a heated CCV and its 22 lbs lighter, but it's also much more complicated, especially due to Valvetronic. I've heard it's much more difficult and expensive to work on compared to the M54. It also doesn't seem to run as smoothly as the M54. The N20 is even worse. It feels like a little diesel. Actually I think the smoothest running engine BMW made was the M20. One in good condition at least. The rebuilt M20 in my old 325e ran like butter.
              Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Does the N52 come with carbon cake in the intake manifold and valves?

Comment

That's an N54 head. The N52 isn't direct injection, so no, it doesn't come with carbon buildup.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                    It's interesting you guys are recommending the N52. Can the MSV70 ECU be flashed now? Here's some information on it: http://www.kneb.net/bmw/E90/04_N52%20Engine.pdf. It does have many improvements over the M54, such as a heated CCV and its 22 lbs lighter, but it's also much more complicated, especially due to Valvetronic. I've heard it's much more difficult and expensive to work on compared to the M54. It also doesn't seem to run as smoothly as the M54. The N20 is even worse. It feels like a little diesel. Actually I think the smoothest running engine BMW made was the M20. One in good condition at least. The rebuilt M20 in my old 325e ran like butter.
                    I can flash MSV70 already. Working on ews, but it would be simple enough to hook up the cas and matching key. You need the cas for obd communication anyway.

I have 2 cars with n52s, they're pretty dang smooth. You wouldn't even notice valvetronic in a swap, the dme takes care of it all..
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                      If you make it up to Seattle you can take my M54 for a drive.
                      I highly recommend doing this before you make a decision! I did...

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                      If you havent done a swap before each newer generation gets a little harder as there is more wiring to deal with.

I have a M52 with the S52 cams and daily the car. 225whp and 25mpg. Im a happy camper and Ive put nearly 17k miles on it since it was done in May.

I drove Steve's (hoveringuy) M54 car and it was a monster, and honestly I wouldve probably gone that way if I wasnt worried about CA laws in legalizing swaps.

Nowadays a M54 shouldnt be too hard to find and WA laws make it easy to pick what you want to do. Combine that with some legit local guys who could make a pnp wiring harness for you and it should be a no brainer

First thing I would do is go for a ride (and hopefully drive) the different cars.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I can flash MSV70 already. Working on ews, but it would be simple enough to hook up the cas and matching key. You need the cas for obd communication anyway.

I have 2 cars with n52s, they're pretty dang smooth. You wouldn't even notice valvetronic in a swap, the dme takes care of it all..
                        Hmm, according to Wikipedia, N52's made prior to November 2008 can have hydraulic valve adjuster problems where it ticks or rattles. My only experience with the N52 was a 2007 X5, and it rattled so it must have had that problem. It seemed to go away when the engine was all warmed up though.

Can you use the E30 cluster with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                          Hmm, according to Wikipedia, N52's made prior to November 2008 can have hydraulic valve adjuster problems where it ticks or rattles. My only experience with the N52 was a 2007 X5, and it rattled so it must have had that problem. It seemed to go away when the engine was all warmed up though.

Can you use the E30 cluster with it?
                          It's just air entrapment. I have two 2005 builds, neither have the issue. I've heard cars that aren't driven very hard are more likely to be affected, the lifters never fully bleed.

Yeah, it has a tachometer output in the obd port.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It's just air entrapment. I have two 2005 builds, neither have the issue. I've heard cars that aren't driven very hard are more likely to be affected, the lifters never fully bleed.

Yeah, it has a tachometer output in the obd port.
                            Ah, yes, of course. :) I haven't considered the N52 because I didn't know the ECU was doable. It doesn't really have much going for it over the M54b30 though. Some variations have a little more horsepower (at a higher RPM), and torque is about the same. The EPA shows 1 mpg better with the N52 in the same chassis, so not really any difference there. The increased complexity worries me, plus it doesn't sound as good. The engine mounts are also different, so I guess you'd have to make those custom. Those reasons, and the oil pan, will probably keep it from becoming a mainstream swap.

Comment

it's ~50lbs lighter, it makes more power (255/221 for the 330 vs 228 from the M54), and peak torque comes on much sooner (2500rpm vs 3500rpm). the weaker variations are almost entirely from the DISA manifold - lower power ones don't have it, and they also programmed them not to open the intake valves all the way and run leaner. Otherwise the engines are identical, a 325i has the same exact engine as a 330i or a 328i. they all have the same output potential.

it also doesn't have harmonics issues, it revs to 7k stock - that would destroy an M54. I think there's potential for 300hp n/a and a 7500rpm redline.

I agree it probably won't be mainstream, people probably worry about the complexity too much though. valvetronic failures are extremely rare, yeah there are horror stories but there are millions of these engines out there and most of them are running just fine. the water pump is expensive but so is the pump on the S54, and the N52 doesn't also have VANOS issues to deal with. :)

also I don't know this for sure but somewhere I read it has the same mounting points as the regular motors, so you could bolt up regular 24v mounts to it (provided they are aluminum and you also use aluminum bolts).
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

it's ~50lbs lighter, it makes more power (255/221 for the 330 vs 228 from the M54), and peak torque comes on much sooner (2500rpm vs 3500rpm). the weaker variations are almost entirely from the DISA manifold - lower power ones don't have it, and they also programmed them not to open the intake valves all the way and run leaner. Otherwise the engines are identical, a 325i has the same exact engine as a 330i or a 328i. they all have the same output potential.

it also doesn't have harmonics issues, it revs to 7k stock - that would destroy an M54. I think there's potential for 300hp n/a and a 7500rpm redline.

I agree it probably won't be mainstream, people probably worry about the complexity too much though. valvetronic failures are extremely rare, yeah there are horror stories but there are millions of these engines out there and most of them are running just fine. the water pump is expensive but so is the pump on the S54, and the N52 doesn't also have VANOS issues to deal with. :)

also I don't know this for sure but somewhere I read it has the same mounting points as the regular motors, so you could bolt up regular 24v mounts to it (provided they are aluminum and you also use aluminum bolts).
                                According to BMW the N52 weighs 10kg (22 lbs.) less than the M54. Max torque at a lower RPM would be nice, especially for larger vehicles. I remember the N52 in the X5 was pretty responsive. The M54 X5 is plenty powerful though. The N52's power band isn't linear like the M54 either. It peaks with each DISA stage.

Every engine has it's issues, but issues with the N52 have the potential to be much more expensive to fix. Most people don't need to rev a street car engine to 7k. If that's what we're talking then we should of course skip these and go with an M engine.

The N52 has issues with the VANOS solenoids. The N52 electric water pump is ridiculously expensive. No thanks on that one. :)

I looked up the engine mounts for the N52 and the M54 for both the E85 Z4 and E83 X3 and they are different and have a different bolt hole pattern.

Comment

Working...
                                X