Metric Bolt Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metric Bolt Selection

What do you guys do for a selection of metric bolts. I took on installing a short shifter conversion on the weekend and a number of the bolts required for all the heat shields needed to be replaced (rusted, heads rounded etc). Rather than running to Home Depot or Lowes for a few at a time, is there a good commercially available assortment available?
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

I find Ace Hardware to have a better Metric selection than Lowes/HD. Also you probably have a Fastenal near you, which has virtually anything you could ever want

Use RealOEM to find the BMW part number & fastener specs. Also price check from BMW - sometimes buying the bolt from BMW is incredibly reasonable and you know you have the right part...
    - Darrell

2001 BMW M5
    1990 BMW 325is - Build Thread

Comment

Personally, I prefer OEM bolts, especially if they are from an older BMW - the plating is often superior to what you can get now. At best you might get nickel plated bolts at a hardware store, which isn't nearly as good as what BMW used on the E30 (yellow zinc). Sometimes you can get yellow zinc at a hardware store, but usually not in metric sizes and they are also expensive.

Lately, instead of buying all new bolts - I started hoarding used BMW bolts/nuts that are in good condition (no rust, stripping, galling, etc). I also got a ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight which is awesome - now I have boxes of sorted, cleaned bolts I can just grab, that are better than what you can get at a hardware store, and best of all they were free..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

^ thats what i do. I have a pin full of misc fasteners Ive pulled off car so i can use OE fasteners. There are times when I need them and don't have any so store bought will get used.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Yep, the used fastener route is a good one. Gather enough and you can drop them all off at a plater. For around $80 or so, you've got shiny new hardware.

If you want to go new, I have been a recent convert to Wurth. If you can piggy-back off of a mechanic friend with an account, then give him a list. They are not the cheapest, but remember that often when you are buying German/Italian OEM hardware, the dealer is actually using Wurth.
          Last edited by SkiFree; 02-21-2017, 05:39 PM.
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I bought a parts car and stripped all the nuts and bolts off it.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Bolts are free at the wreckers near me. I reckon they might change that rule one day based on how many bolts I get out of them.

Comment

Working...
              X