Fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pump

Before i put my 89 vert away for the winter it started leaking gas slowly from in front of the rear driver wheel (highlighted spot). Also the car boggs at idle and would shut off on its own. Its literally undriveable .I know for sure my fuel pump is old but is that the cause of these issues?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure your fuel pump is in tank. That's the location of your fuel filter. Bogging down and shutting off can definitely be caused by fuel issues. It could also be vacuum leaks. Maybe your CPS is bad. Could be over a dozen different issues.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Fuel filter was just replaced , if its sensor or vacuum leak related then i dont care because im doing an m50 swap soon.

Comment

Changes in car behavior should always start with checking recently done work. I would inspect the clamps/hoses around the fuel filter.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Alright thanks

Comment

Agree that the fuel pump should be the single in-tank kind, unless it's been swapped to an earlier setup.

Get under and check where the fuel leaks are coming from. could be a loose connection, dried out rubber hose or rotted metal line. In any event, not something you want. If you have no history on the rubber hoses, that is one of the first things I always replace on a 30 year old car. Got stranded once with a busted hose.

The Bentley manual has the fuel pressure and fuel volume specs, but you'll need a fuel pressure gauge to check that.

Like the guys above said, the issues you're having at idle could be one of a number of different things.

The E30 collection:
            1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
            1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
            1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
            1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
            1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
            1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
            1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
            2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
            2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Like other posters have said, this is the fuel filter area so bad connection, rotted / collapsed hose or hard line sound like possible causes.

While you are in there verify that the filter is installed the correct way round for fuel flow, wouldn't be the first (or last) time that someone has installed the filter backwards.

Installing the filter backwards will flare the filter fibers, this will result in blocked fuel flow and low injector system fuel pressure. The fuel pump to filter fuel circuit will also run at a much higher fuel pressure rather than the regulated fuel pressure it's designed for, that higher circuit pressure may cause connection leaks that wouldn't occur at normal pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post
                Like other posters have said, this is the fuel filter area so bad connection, rotted / collapsed hose or hard line sound like possible causes.

While you are in there verify that the filter is installed the correct way round for fuel flow, wouldn't be the first (or last) time that someone has installed the filter backwards.

Installing the filter backwards will flare the filter fibers, this will result in blocked fuel flow and low injector system fuel pressure. The fuel pump to filter fuel circuit will also run at a much higher fuel pressure rather than the regulated fuel pressure it's designed for, that higher circuit pressure may cause connection leaks that wouldn't occur at normal pressure.
                Thanks guys
                Originally posted by 101 View Post
                Agree that the fuel pump should be the single in-tank kind, unless it's been swapped to an earlier setup.

Get under and check where the fuel leaks are coming from. could be a loose connection, dried out rubber hose or rotted metal line. In any event, not something you want. If you have no history on the rubber hoses, that is one of the first things I always replace on a 30 year old car. Got stranded once with a busted hose.

The Bentley manual has the fuel pressure and fuel volume specs, but you'll need a fuel pressure gauge to check that.

Like the guys above said, the issues you're having at idle could be one of a number of different things.

Comment

Working...
                X