Piston question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piston question...

Sorry if this is something that was already asked, but I couldn't find a good answer...

I have a rebuilt head on my 2.7i stroker right now, and the bottom end has over 200k. I'd really like to rebuild it this winter, to make sure the engine is bulletproof. That said, I'm aiming to turbo, but I won't be able to until next winter's time. So basically, I want to rebuild the motor this winter with new parts, keeping it NA and still driveable.

I was considering just a stock SETA bottom end rebuild, leaving it with the 8.5:1 compression, but my concern is the level of boost the stock pistons, rods, and crank can handle. I DON'T want to do it again when it's time to turbo.

I only want around 300 crank HP, so I don't see myself running crazy boost.

Any help would be appreciated guys - still trying to read up on FI m20's, lots to sift through.

stock seta internals will be great.. provided you go full rebuild (pistons and bearings). pretty much bulletproof motor.

as for 300 crank hp.. fully rebuild seta with i head will handle much more than that, provided good tuning (read: you need standalone). alternatively you can try tunning 6-8 psi of boost with rrfpr on stock motronic setup with WOT signal disconnected (to retard timing a bit)

Comment

Originally posted by mops
      stock seta internals will be great.. provided you go full rebuild (pistons and bearings). pretty much bulletproof motor.

as for 300 crank hp.. fully rebuild seta with i head will handle much more than that, provided good tuning (read: you need standalone). alternatively you can try tunning 6-8 psi of boost with rrfpr on stock motronic setup with WOT signal disconnected (to retard timing a bit)
      Really? The stock SETA stuff will stand up? That's great news :) I was really afraid I'd have to go custom pistons, forged rods, etc. Quite costly. I'll be doing that stuff with my 5 series project in the future - didn't want to get into that with the vert.

I'm leaning more towards standalone - more tuneability than the other option, of course. I'd like to do it right.

So I'll just need a new set of SETA pistons, rods, and a new crank (should I go with the 524td forged or just stick to the cast stock?)

Should I get a more agressive cam, or is the stock fine with a turbo?

Comment

Turbo cams always work better. Use the stock seta crank. And get new seta pistons like i did from bav @ 500 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta
          Turbo cams always work better. Use the stock seta crank. And get new seta pistons like i did from bav @ 500 bucks.
          They're on ebay for $395 - I thought that was a nice deal :)

What's a turbo cam? durrr...

Comment

Before spendng $$$ on new pistons, get your motor apart and take some measurements. Chances are, you just need to hone they cylinder walls and replace the rings. Unless the wear on the cylinders and pistons is beyond spec, then save the money. I'd only get new pistons if I had to bore the cyliders due to taper or out of round.

Also, I know they are a "rival" forum, but for turbo applications and engine management, e30tech has much more and better information. For everything else, stick to r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by JRowe
              Before spendng $$$ on new pistons, get your motor apart and take some measurements. Chances are, you just need to hone they cylinder walls and replace the rings. Unless the wear on the cylinders and pistons is beyond spec, then save the money. I'd only get new pistons if I had to bore the cyliders due to taper or out of round.

Also, I know they are a "rival" forum, but for turbo applications and engine management, e30tech has much more and better information. For everything else, stick to r3v.
              I keep hearing that e3t is better for turbo info. Guess I'm just a stickler for this board, but I'll check things out over there too.

I'm just nervous with over 200k on the motor adding boost to it - with the freshly rebuilt head, and what happened to the 137k mile motor (snapped rod) I want to make sure this motor is up to the task, and underworked rather than working at its maximum potential.

I won't buy anything until I get it apart, but it's good to get an idea of what I might have to spend.

Comment

Working...
              X