91 318is GT car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 318is GT car

We have had this car a couple years, always meant to post it, but never did.
    Its a 91 318is, was a NASA GTS-2 car, now its more a standard GT/touring car to run in small bore GT classes.

Its a pretty basic car, key is the lightness.

Specs: If I can remember it all..

318is
    2.0L Rebello M42, ITB's, custom head/cams, solid lifter kit, Euro diesel crank, 10.5:1 (with thick gasket, built as a 12:1 motor, we elected to run 91 oct).
    Stock gearbox with racing clutch/flywheel
    custom diff (can't remember the ratio)
    AKG shifter
    Adaptronic stand alone ecu, with Race Technologies Dash and data pack

6 point cage
    Cobra Sebring Pro
    Schroth belts
    Momo Mod 78

Ground control coilovers with Bilstein race dampers, IE sway bars

Pretty basic car, but here is the interesting stuff, with me in it, and 15L of fuel, it weighs 2078 pounds. Its has from what I remember as our last dyno run, almost 270hp at 7400rpm.
    Very fun car to drive, I usually drive a GT1 Vette, which is a LOT different to this car, you can be so aggressive in the e30, the Gt1 car is always trying to hurt you at very high speeds.

I'll include some pics and a couple vids.

2012 Mt Tremblant Fall Classic

Last race of the weekend, with rain on some parts of the track, but dry in others, very tricky conditions. Car is a 91 BMW E30 318is, with a 2.0L M42 engine.
    Attached Files
    Paul

91 318is GT3
    08 328xi wagon

Sounds like a fun car. I bet those ITBs sound fantastic with the ITG airfilter (I run one on my Datsun) 270 hp should allow you to scoot right along. Dave Rebello can build some nice stuff, he did my cylinder head and cam for the roadster.

Have fun

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

I am so envious right now. I'm currently building a stroker M42. HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU GET THAT MUCH POWER?!

I'm hoping to get 180 to the wheels with a bored and stroked M42, wild cams, 19lb injectors and port matched manifolds.

Please explain

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by pmachan View Post
        Its a pretty basic car,
        Way to undersell... 270 hp and 2100 lbs with driver! Wow! I think all of us M42 guys will take as much build information and as many photographs as possible. Subscribing in anticipation...
        diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

Wow. Way cool.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

The motor was built to be a full racing engine, so it has extensive headwork, custom cams, and was tuned for a couple days on the dyno, by a builder well known for making power.
            I will say it was not cheap, we could have gone to an S52 or something for MUCH less money, but we wanted to stick with the lightweight theme of the car.

The engine that came in the car was a Metric Mechanic 2.1 Rally M42, it made about 160 at the wheels from what I recall, it was fairly strong in the car, but it exploded in grand fashion.

When I say basic car, I mean the rest of it, suspension is stock e30, no geometry mods, just bolt on stuff you can get anywhere, even has non-adjustable dampers..
            Stock 318 brakes, with PFC01 pads, the diff is not stock, but again, bolt on type deal.
            Last edited by pmachan; 05-14-2013, 07:17 PM.
            Paul

91 318is GT3
            08 328xi wagon

Comment

Very awesome, I love that you went with the M42 instead of an S14, S52... etc.
              '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

Originally posted by Cinnabar325is View Post
                Very awesome, I love that you went with the M42 instead of an S14, S52... etc.
                I'd say this definitely qualifies as an S42 at this point.
                Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

That is insane
                  1991 335is in progress

Comment

are you serious =]

Need more pics showing your rear aero, is that simply trunk mounted?
                    sigpic

Comment

love the car and the video..... one concern however, in the video the AKG shifter looks loose or atleast it seems to have a lot of "slop"... It may just be the length of the shifter exaggerating the movement when you let go of the knob. I was thinking about getting one of those for my e30, but now I am having second thoughts...

Comment

Not many M42's get my pants tingly...This definitely just made it go off the richter scale.

Comment

Originally posted by mcr_driver View Post
                          not many m42's get my pants tingly...this definitely just made it go off the richter scale.
                          +1
                          NRG Quick Release/MOMO Hubs|NRG Limited Edition Deep Dish Wheels|NRG Wood Wheels|Nardi|
                          9five Eyewear|Day of the Dead Tees|
                          WORK Wheels|Lug Nuts|
                          STÄTUS|
                          Got Juice?|

Comment

The joint at the gearbox is worn, the one with the dense foam inside, that foam is toast. So it is loose, shifting action is fine, just wobbles when in gear. I have a new joint, just haven't put it in yet.

Wing is mounted to a composite trunk lid, which is bolted to the chassis. The wing and truck come off as one, the combo is very light.

I'll take some detailed pics of the car this weekend while I try and finish prep for a race at the end of the month.

Suprisingly, the intake noise from this thing, while loud, is not like what you hear on some bonkers S14 builds, it does not have very agressive cams, its a really strong midrange motor and we shift at 7500rpm.
                            I'll post a dyno sheet later of one of the runs, BTW, it makes 200 lbs ft of torque.
                            Paul

91 318is GT3
                            08 328xi wagon

Comment

Sick build!
                              The Current Army
                              -(UnderConstruction) 1991 330iS 24v S52 build thread
                              -1992 325iC
                              -1987 E30 Truck
                              -1991 332iS (BecauseRacecar)
                              -1988 Dinan M3
                              -1988 325iX Tribute car
                              -1989 320i Touring (S52/6spd)

Comment

Working...
                              X