stroking my m20 to 2.7i... day-by-day pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stroking my m20 to 2.7i... day-by-day pics

I've begun the 2.7i stroking project on my m20, here are a couple of pics of the first day's progress:

Here is a pic of the intake side, with AFM and filter out, along with the timing belt. A MAF is going in instead soon! (when the SMT-7 arrives)

Here's the valvetrain/exhaust side. Notice the performance (blue) springs, and the Alpina long-tube headers.

I'll post pics every day as the project progresses.
    Last edited by MrK; 05-23-2006, 03:20 AM. Reason: recent update
    This is your M20 on steroids:

How do you plan to go about this? 2.7 bottom end with 'i' spec head and related bits?

Jon
    Rides...
    1991 325i - sold :(
    2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

I already have a 2.5i everything... I plan to stick in a 2.7e crankshaft and rods, and then shaving the head/block to match. I already have higher-compression pistons, so that should keep the shaving down to a minimum. I also plan to install an adjustable cam gear to take full advantage of my 304 cam, and an adjustable FPR (from bavauto), and an SMT-7/MAF combo to top it all off.

Comment

whered you get blue springs... are you sure theyre "performance"
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

why didnt you use i rods and not shave it all/much?

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
          You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC
            whered you get blue springs... are you sure theyre "performance"
            I took them out of a junked Hartge engine. I was still skeptical though, so I put one of my stock springs and put pressure on it, and did the same with the funky blue one. Sure enough, the blue spring was stiffer. That's the only test I could think of to make sure in a third-world country like this...

Comment

Are you using the SMT7's new "conversion" feature? I hear it works great for converting to MAP, but I haven't heard anyone trying it on a MAF. You are aware of the feature, right? :D
              Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
              '99 M3 / Track Car
              '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
              '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

Yup I'm aware, but I think I'll stick to MAF cuz I heard it was easier to tune. Might go to MAP and individual throttle bodies in the future though... depends on how greedy I am for power, and of course my $$$ situation.

Comment

MAPs aren't bad to tune, it's just that MAFs are way more adaptive. Expect to tune significantly after every change with a MAP.

Comment

Day 2

Well, things went along much faster than planned, and quite a bit of the tough stuff is done. Pics:

Engine bay is now empty, I'll be replacing engine mounts and clutch bearing thingy while it's accessible.

Here's my old crankshaft, already out!

...and here's my block with the 2.7 crankshaft and rods. Note the high-compression pistons that are domed with pockets for the valves JUST IN CASE the timing belt decides to break loose. Looks like the stroke will be all up and running by Tuesday at this rate.

Comment

Tell me you did a baseline dyno. Please!

'88 325is
                      VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                      BMWCCA 380364

Comment

I would've LOVVVVED to, but there are no dynos in this Godforsaken country :(

Comment

Nice, What time is it there? What is the time differance from California, 11 hours? When do you sleep?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Man that went together quick. Did you already have the block machined?

I am planning on doing the same build up shortly so I want to know how you make out. Did you get all new rod and main bearings (assuming so). Those pistons look like they are poking out pretty far, did you clearance it with the head to be safe? What is the expected CR?
                            Old and improved:

Comment

Etasport,

I got a used crank and new rods/pins. the pistons do clear, but make like 10.9 CR (wild I know) I am expecting pinging, and that's the other reason I'm gonna use the SMT-7; ignition timing.

Oh and guys, yes it's about a 10 hour difference, and NO I don't sleep LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X