No announcement yet.

2.8l stroker thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

called the machine shop, going to drop off my block hopefully tomorrow or friday, and will have it back within a week. also going to have them shave my flywheel down and clean a bunch of stuff. they said it would be around $300 for all the work, about what I budgeted for.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

What exactly are they doing to your block? Cleaning, hot-tank, bore out, decking, resurfacing? Did you have to give them your pistons in order to get the tolerances right for the cylinders? I figure just telling them 86mm doesnt cut it.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
      You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

Originally posted by madjurgen
        What exactly are they doing to your block? Cleaning, hot-tank, bore out, decking, resurfacing? Did you have to give them your pistons in order to get the tolerances right for the cylinders? I figure just telling them 86mm doesnt cut it.
        cleaning, resurfacing, boring and honing + new freeze plugs. yeah, they will need the pistons and clearance specs from MM. the tolerances are not what I would have expected, they are actualy different for each cylinder: .0025/.0022/.0020/.0020/.0022/.0025.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

woah that is weird

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
          You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

Originally posted by madjurgen
            woah that is weird
            2nded - that's quite odd.

You don't even use a gasket, nando? Weird.

I'm at a loss as to how to isntall this. I'm not sure how it's suppose to go in here! I'll probably give IE a call tomorrow.
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

yeah jim told me why the tolerances were different but i forget. there was a reason though.

looking good man, i am jealous. i thought i might beat you to the engine part of the ix modding. guess not. awesome anyway.

Comment

dropped my crank off at the shop today. the guy was pretty impressed by how nice the journals were, he said all it would need was a simple clean and polish, if that. the scary thing is my 218k crank was even cleaner! hopefully I'll have everything back by the end of the week, then I'll just need bearings and I can put it all together :D
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

awesome man, good project.

Comment

had the set of 4 pintle 19# injectors I got from matt cleaned and tested, here are the results:

glad I sent them out, 2 of them were apparently stuck closed, and one wasn't spraying correctly. when I get them back they will basically be brand new.. cost me $55 for the injectors and $80 for the service, http://www.cruzinperformance.com/ if you want to have yours done.
                    Last edited by nando; 10-13-2010, 05:13 AM.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

put the bottem end together, went smoothly.. sorta...

in goes the crank:

main bearing caps:

rods/pistons:

5 happy pistons:

1 sad piston:

:(

I know sean did the same thing, so I don't feel so bad. somehow it came out of the ring groove when I was putting the compressor on, and of course it snapped. I also had to buy another compressor because the first one I had was a POS. hopefully I can get another ring from jim by friday, but this will make it very difficult for my goal to be driving it all day saturday. I think one lesson to be learned here is ask for an extra set of rings when you order your pistons!
                      Last edited by nando; 10-13-2010, 05:14 AM.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Did you make sure that the machine shop didn't tank the block for too long? The bearings for the intermediate shaft are not replaceable and I've heard that if the block is tanked too long, it'll eat them up and cause leaks.
                        Driving is the only way to go faster....

Comment

yeah, they're good. actually, I had taken the intermediate shaft out, not thinking about it.. and he called me because he saw the bearings, and he knew that they would be destroyed if he wasn't careful. I let him know that they could not be replaced; he put the shaft back in to protect the bearings and was careful about tanking the block too (he also said if the tank ate up the bearings, it would ruin his charge).
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Awww...damn Chris!

I know how you feel entirely! Course, you were on your last one! I was only on my fourth! That really sucks man.

At least you can get one quickly from Jim, hopefully!

Gorgeous S50 rods you got there. Man....I really wish I coulda done that. Damn, those pistons are sweet! Someday...when i have more moeny - I'm going to build the sweetest stroker ever! heh

That bottom end looks sooo badass!

DAMN! Can't wait to see how it does! AWD DYNO!!!

I'm gonna need to dyno mine soon. I wanna get my AFPR and M30 AFM on so I can see the difference between M20 AFM and M30 AFM and adjust my fuel pressure. w000ttt :D
                            - Sean Hayes

Comment

rings are on their way from jim, should be here tomorrow. that was a $68 mistake! :(

I'm not sure this really sets me back too bad, I still have lots to do other than the bottom end.. I have to change the seals on the transfer case and tranny, reboot my CV axles and clean more parts. still trying to figure out my pedal assembly too..
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                                rings are on their way from jim, should be here tomorrow. that was a $68 mistake! :(

I'm not sure this really sets me back too bad, I still have lots to do other than the bottom end.. I have to change the seals on the transfer case and tranny, reboot my CV axles and clean more parts. still trying to figure out my pedal assembly too..
                                I hear ya man. Mine was a $45 mistake - FOR ONE RING. One ring, $45. Ring set - $85. Breaking a ring and paying the price....priceless.

There's always more to do. But, if you're like me, you like to get started on a part of your project and finish it before moving on. I hated not having a bottom end all done at once - cause that meant I couldn't add anything else to the motor until I did!

You'll get r' done! ;)
                                - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
                                X