No announcement yet.

Review: UUC Big Brake Kit for E30 - 4 Lug Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have any experience with these on some 15" 4x100 stock looking wheels? Euromesh, some sort of meshie, or anyone with the above wheels willing to try for me? :) I want a stock appearance vehicle and don't want to buy wheels that I can't use with a bbk. :(

Comment

You'll need spacers.

Comment

I've been running these for about 5-6 months now. Brakes work incredibly well. Nice and easy installation. Good quality machining. I run the on my mostly stock (springs, sways, software and exhaust) 318is and continually finish in the top 3 of my auto-x class....and they're not a bunch of newb drivers.

Overall, a great kit for the money.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I love the kit for a stock/light race setup. Brakes fast and grips even and smooth. Weighs a lot less than stock cast calipers too! Long run I am getting an IE 310mm kit.
          ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
          ~ '87 535
          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Does anyone have a list of wheels (15") that fit? I know D-Force wheels fit and TRM do not. I need to pick up another set for rains and curious what other wheels fit.

Thanks
            John

2013 NASA-SE TTE Champion

Tracks driven: AMP, Barber, CMP, CMS (Lowe's), Daytona, NCCAR, Road Atlanta, Rockingham, RRR, Sebring, Texas World Speedway, VIR (Full, Grand, South, North, & Patriot), Watkins Glen.

Comment

I am 90% certain that Rota Slips will work.
              I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

been looking for bbk, on the way i found the best site ever to search for discs:

hf

Comment

What size spacer do you think would be needed for stock 15" basketweaves? 20mm? What is the safest to run?
                  1997 Artic Silver M3
                  CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

see below \/
                    Last edited by JamesE30; 01-02-2014, 10:16 PM.

R.H.D
                    M-technic I club

Comment

Ok wanted to post a follow up to the problem i was having with squeaky brakes.
                      So here is a detailed description and solution to a pretty simple problem.

Basically every time the brakes would warm up i would hear a horrible metal on metal screeching sound while moving, and made worse by using the brakes. It was not particularly loud but extremely noticeable.

As mentioned earlier in this thread the cause of the problem is very simple, one (or more) of the clips holding the pads snugly in place had slipped out of its little perch and was rubbing against the rotor as seen in the photo below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	7163590

On my left calliper, two of the clips had come out of place and were rubbing against the rotor, on my right calliper one of the clips was out of place.

SOLUTION:

Well from what i read above it seemed all we needed to do was to put the clips back into the correct place where the little recesses are, reinstall the wheels and job done. However my mechanic did this, twice, and they kept slipping out of place after they had heated up for a while. -simply reinstalling the clips correctly may work for you, or it may only fix the problem temporarily like it did for me.

So here is what I did:
                      Took a mini file and made the recess grooves deeper. The outside ones were so shallow the clip could easily slide out of place with just your finger once the pads are installed.

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	7163587

Secondly I bent the clips tho make them slightly shorter therefor tighter on the calliper. Once i was done fiddling with this the clips could not be pushed out of place even when compressed by the pads.

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	7163589

The pads still fit snugly and everything else is as it was before. I've put about 250km on these since altering them and haven't had a single squeak from them!
                      Hope this helps anyone else having this problem.

OVERALL REVIEW:

Pro's:
                      So far I am loving these brakes performance. As well as installing the UUC BBK and hawk pads, I also had new rear rotors and pads installed, and the new ss lines that were included with the uuc kit.
                      Paired with my new toyo r1r's, I Have to say i am very impressed at the braking capability of the car now particularly from high speeds. It is a vast improvement from the standard rotors and callipers.
                      I am very pleased.

Cons:
                      Wheel clearance in 15" is extremely limited (shocker i know. .) It's been tough searching for a quality wheel I like the looks of in 15" that will fit, But I did manage to find something that will suit my needs for now. Just something to be aware of when shopping for any bbk.

**The anti-rattle clips**. Despite being such a simple problem and relatively simple solution, the anti-rattle clip fitment requires improvement in the design. It is far too easy for them to slip out of place when in use and a small change in the design of the calliper would instantly solve this. Driving with the clips falling out of place is horrible and not an option.

Despite this, Overall I am still happy with the performance of this product.

Last edited by JamesE30; 01-03-2014, 01:08 AM.

R.H.D
                      M-technic I club

Comment

Substitute that for "massive improvement required in the rattle clip department" James, that sort of thing shouldn't be happening for a product from a vendor of this calibre.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                        RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver View Post
                          Substitute that for "massive improvement required in the rattle clip department" James, that sort of thing shouldn't be happening for a product from a vendor of this calibre.
                          Noted and edited. I agree improvement is required.
                          I should also mention I bought this kit brand new never installed, but from a private seller not directly from UUC. So for the price I payed I am still happy with the product. If I had payed full retail price I would be less impressed.

R.H.D
                          M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by JamesE30 View Post
                            Ok wanted to post a follow up to the problem i was having with squeaky brakes.
                            So here is a detailed description and solution to a pretty simple problem.

Basically every time the brakes would warm up i would hear a horrible metal on metal screeching sound while moving, and made worse by using the brakes. It was not particularly loud but extremely noticeable.

As mentioned earlier in this thread the cause of the problem is very simple, one (or more) of the clips holding the pads snugly in place had slipped out of its little perch and was rubbing against the rotor as seen in the photo below.
                            I had exactly this same problem and ended up doing the same thing you did. I've since put about 5000 miles on the car and haven't heard any noises.

Comment

So the fixes are:

1) Enlarge the hole with a file
                              2) Bend the clip a little more?

What about using a screw driver or pliers and pinch where the end of the metal clips to the caliper?
                              1997 Artic Silver M3
                              CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Originally posted by BMWManiac View Post
                                So the fixes are:

1) Enlarge the hole with a file
                                2) Bend the clip a little more?

What about using a screw driver or pliers and pinch where the end of the metal clips to the caliper?
                                I tried that, but there isn't room to get any bend if they're on the caliper already, and they are incredibly difficult to get onto the caliper if you bend the ends down just due to the angles. Since the car is off the road for the off season I might try the file fix.
                                88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                                We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Working...
                                X