A New Race Video and a Request!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    why does it seem like your car is so much faster than all the others?
    the ginetta g4 is in gran turismo, and it is the weapon of choice for several of the vintage/lightweight races.

i think "ultralight" is a fair term to describe them.

i'm incredibly envious that ELVA has access to one, even if it's an open question whether i could cram my 6'2" self into one.
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
      the ginetta g4 is in gran turismo, and it is the weapon of choice for several of the vintage/lightweight races.

i think "ultralight" is a fair term to describe them.

i'm incredibly envious that ELVA has access to one, even if it's an open question whether i could cram my 6'2" self into one.
      1. I agree that is a very capable chassis in any class from 1L up to big bore. I also feel I should mention the car I was driving is very possibly the fastest G4 in the country.

2. Average weight is about 1150lbs, so ultra light applies.

3. Not just one!

At least one example of each version of the original G4, including the oldest surviving car! Of course none belong to me, but I've been very fortunate to have the occasional chance to drive the last two examples.

4. Never fear! I'm 6', the owner of the white and blue car is 6'3", and the owner of the yellow car is 6'5"! We could make it happen :nice:
      Last edited by ELVA164; 08-19-2016, 06:46 PM.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Really enjoyed your video Mike, it is smooth even when your head is bouncing around. Possibly to make it more exciting would be to have a reverse camera (1/4 screen?) so the viewer can see the Lotus closing in/fading away. I found myself checking your rear view mirror for that action.
        Thanks for sharing and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bradmer View Post
          Really enjoyed your video Mike, it is smooth even when your head is bouncing around. Possibly to make it more exciting would be to have a reverse camera (1/4 screen?) so the viewer can see the Lotus closing in/fading away. I found myself checking your rear view mirror for that action.
          Thanks for sharing and good luck.
          Thank you! I had a rear camera installed, but our....camera operator (my dad) hit the button one too many times. Check out our website to see some videos with both views and let me know what you think though!
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Was just looking at your sig again and comparing the scale of the open-wheel cars with the Ginetta... somebody really just thought "let's make one of those, with bodywork".

Does aero make a noticeable difference in top-end pull, assuming two comparable powerplants?
            past:
            1989 325is (learner shitbox)
            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
            1985 323i baur
            current:
            1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
              Was just looking at your sig again and comparing the scale of the open-wheel cars with the Ginetta... somebody really just thought "let's make one of those, with bodywork".

Does aero make a noticeable difference in top-end pull, assuming two comparable powerplants?
              Actually, the white sports car in my sig is the Lola-OSCA Mk1 pre-livery. Interestingly, the Elva 200s (the smaller open-wheel cars) share a number of traits with the Lola in terms of general dimension and suspension, but with a number of important differences I won't get into in detail unless you're interested.

In a word, yes. If you were to take the 200, for example, and add fenders, I'd expect a small positive effect on top speed. The air would be much calmer around the vehicle, but due to the...modest output of even our current race engines in those cars the extra weight would have a negative effect. I can't say with any certainty how far it would go one way or the other. If you took the Lola, however, and removed its bodywork? I'd expect a considerable loss in top-end speed.

With a car like the Ginetta, the combination of available power and gearing makes aero much less of a factor.
              Last edited by ELVA164; 08-24-2016, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X