Beams or GM HFV6 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beams or GM HFV6 swap

So i still have some suspension and other jazz thats gonna come before I get to the point I'm ready for an engine swap in my e30, but I have it narrowed down to about 2. This is me kinda thinking and looking for some feedback.

My e30 is my daily driver for now, but it'll be the weekend corner carver in a few months. I'm plannkng on swapping the engine in about a year as the eta m20 is good, but i want a little more power.

I know that someone is going to chime in with, "Just m50 swap it bro." But this project is more of me using it as a learning opportunity to teach myself more wiring.

Anyway:

BEAMS:
    2.0- 4 cylinder, 210hp, 160 ft.lb (this is only slightly dlwn from s2000 stock power)
    6-speed trans
    Complete engine, trans, harness etc available on ebay for appx 1500

Pros:
    Cheap, nearly everything you need to get the engine running for 1500 isnt too bad.
    Excellent hp numbers for displacement. ie-volumetric efficiency (this means excellent numbers if fi is added to the equation)
    TITANIUM VALVES- basically cars and coffee bragging rights
    Mpg: in the Altezza rs200 this was rated at 37mpg. Minus 100lbs in the e30 probably 40mpg on the highway=bragging rights on my buddies prius.
    9k redline... sounds fun

Cons:
    Low torque: 160 ft lbs
    Rare in US, which means tuning and whatnot will be more difficult
    Same with wiring
    Timing belt... hate timing belts

The other option
    GM LLT or LY7 v6:
    250-350hp similar tq values

Pros:
    60° v6 block=more room in engine bay
    Continuously variable VVT, similar to m54 vanos
    Available dirt cheap as the engine was in everything from caddilacs to malibus.
    Timing chain instead of belt.
    6 speed from v6 cts or v6 camaro will work.
    Light weight, like 20lbs less than the m20, and being v6 most of the weight will be over or behind the front axle which means better handling.
    Also as 4th gen camaros get cheaper this opens up mor tuning and swap options
    GM ecu's are exremely tunable and can even be flashed to run as stand alone.
    Mpg-in 5k lb cars this engine is returning high 20 mpg, so in e30 should be closer to 30 or more.
    Its a GM so replacent parts are cheap
    Exhaust note with good muffler is awesome.

Cons:
    Timing chain and guides will need replaced before install
    Cost is a little more than the BEAMS, but only by a few hindred.
    Taller engine, may need hood scoop to clear.
    Exhaust will be easier to route than any other v6 or 8, but clearance issues may still be a problem.
    Possibly finding a manual ecu, but i think the gm one can probably be reflashed

Anyway, currently swap is planned to start about 12 to 18 months from now, currently leaning toward the chevy motor due to availability and power made. Also with the tunavle vvt this this motor should be fairly easy to add a supercharger to.

Just wanted to see what some people on here though and if anybody else is working on either as a project.

Beams.
    1990 Alpine 325is
    1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

I prefer more torque. V6 would be my choice.
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Out of those two engines I'd go the V6, just because it'll probably be the first one if you're up for the challenge & the Beams won't go as hard as the M20 that's in there if you swapped the head over for an 'i' so the old 2.7 revved a bit harder.

Although you know the answer is always M30 :D
        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
        X