Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I can I think I can (AKA Locomotive thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdirty View Post
    twinz
    Gasworks park

91 Alpinweiss2 318is OBD2 S52

Comment

During our outbound load test today after a routine 3 month inspection.

Every time we do this I just want to yell out, "GET SOME!"

No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

need moar cool train pics and train stuff

seriously, this shit is killer, i love seeing the insides and inner workings of these behemoths

Comment

Do all trains use the diesel engines to power electric motors?

Comment

Originally posted by cwatt View Post
            Everyone I've seen. I don't think there would be any other way to deliver the torque necessary to pull multi-million pound loads without destroying parts every day.

SO, whats behind this cover?

If you guessed, the air passage way, you guessed right.

Those of you who are familiar with 2-stroke designs will understand what's going on here, and for those who don't...

A 2-stroke doesn't use valves for intake/exhaust. It uses ports that are exposed based on the position of the piston on it's stroke.

Now this is a very strange setup that I had never heard of until starting this Career. But these engines use a combination of intake ports on the cylinder, and exhaust valves on the heads to allow a turbocharger to work.

Also note, hollow block. Took me a while to figure out that the pipe shown is for coolant. Otherwise how the hell would these things not burn up? When I saw this setup for the first time I was awe-struck. Especially considering this is not a new design by any means.

I'll snap a photo of the top end tomorrow. Equally fascinating. A 2-stroke with valves, turbocharger, and camshaft? wtfsauce.
            No E30 Club
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by cwatt View Post
              yuppers unless they are hooked up to the power grid and are electric only via a 3rd rail power supply or over head lines with a pole and a glide surface kinda like a bumper car.

That is one big ass Detroit, I didnt know they were still in service in Loco's even anymore dude to fuel consumption and emissions regs. Fun fact, All detroit 2 strokes need a supper charger to operate and scavenge correctly.
              Last edited by mrsleeve; 01-21-2014, 06:59 PM.
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

Came here for the turbos

Will not leave disappointed

Comment

So much displacement, in the morning after being off all night, you have to open bleeder valves to push out condensation before running the engine. At least I had to on our switching loco. 2500 hp and in-measurable amounts of torque, all at your finger tips.
                  -Andy

Comment

Originally posted by dashboardmonkey View Post
                    So much displacement, in the morning after being off all night, you have to open bleeder valves to push out condensation before running the engine. At least I had to on our switching loco. 2500 hp and in-measurable amounts of torque, all at your finger tips.
                    Still do, but we have the luxury of working with the Aston Martin of locos lol. Ours do the purging for us.

Just a 3 month service today. Change all of these out.
                    No E30 Club

Comment

'91 318is w/ M50B25TU

Comment

^ Classic
                        No E30 Club

Comment

Originally posted by Downz View Post
                          need moar cool train pics and train stuff

seriously, this shit is killer, i love seeing the insides and inner workings of these behemoths
                          dont you mean, need more COAL train pics??

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
                          Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Smelser View Post
                            dont you mean, need more COAL train pics??

ill take anything, shit is so bad ass lol

Comment

Not a supercharger, it's a blower very different.

Comment

There ae 2 types of super charger roots and centralfugal both are supper chargers and both are referred to as blowers, but when you think of a blower you generally picture a roots type like 2 storke detroit diesles need to function properly.
                                Originally posted by Fusion
                                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                                William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X