No announcement yet.

Finally of age!!! Beverage suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, you're 21 and just now starting to drink? Whaaaa? When I turned 21 I just started to use my actual ID to drink.

If that's the case, you might not like the taste of any beer for a while. It took me a while of chocking down Natty Lights in high school before I got to the point of liking beer, then I expanded my tastes from there as I got older. I've kinda gone full circle in my beer drinking. I used to only drink cheap watered down light beers, then I got huge into IPA's and heavy beers but now I'm back to drinking beers that are on the lighter side again (but not the cheap watery beer).

One to consider that nobody has mentioned is Yuengling. Traditional Lager that's easy to drink. That was a beer I was very fond of when my taste in beer started to evolve, but haven't had in years.
    2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
    1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
    1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
    1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

I definitely wouldn't recommend an IPA for a first time beer drinker. Beer is my drink of choice, IPAs are my go to. In college I lived about 10 minutes from Lagunitas (whatup sonomabimmers!!) and was there all the time, which is why I love IPAs so much. That being said, they are definitely not for someone just starting to drink beer.

Like has been said before, start with something lighter (and by that I mean color). Hefeweizens, and other wheat beers are a good place to start as they will have some taste but nothing near as shocking to your system as an IPA.

Lost Coast Brewery's Great White was my first favorite craft beer, that might be tough to find in Kansas though. Find your nearest brewery (that's not a huge macrobrewer) and go in and order a flight. Tell the bartender you are just starting into your beer journey and tell them to set you up.

Let us know what you end up liking!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
        I definitely wouldn't recommend an IPA for a first time beer drinker. Beer is my drink of choice, IPAs are my go to. In college I lived about 10 minutes from Lagunitas (whatup sonomabimmers!!) and was there all the time, which is why I love IPAs so much. That being said, they are definitely not for someone just starting to drink beer.

Like has been said before, start with something lighter (and by that I mean color). Hefeweizens, and other wheat beers are a good place to start as they will have some taste but nothing near as shocking to your system as an IPA.

Lost Coast Brewery's Great White was my first favorite craft beer, that might be tough to find in Kansas though. Find your nearest brewery (that's not a huge macrobrewer) and go in and order a flight. Tell the bartender you are just starting into your beer journey and tell them to set you up.

Let us know what you end up liking!

Lagunitas brethren above me basically said it best just go drink.

Tapatalk
        i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by jrossowvue30 View Post
          So, you're 21 and just now starting to drink? Whaaaa? When I turned 21 I just started to use my actual ID to drink.

If that's the case, you might not like the taste of any beer for a while. It took me a while of chocking down Natty Lights in high school before I got to the point of liking beer, then I expanded my tastes from there as I got older. I've kinda gone full circle in my beer drinking. I used to only drink cheap watered down light beers, then I got huge into IPA's and heavy beers but now I'm back to drinking beers that are on the lighter side again (but not the cheap watery beer).

One to consider that nobody has mentioned is Yuengling. Traditional Lager that's easy to drink. That was a beer I was very fond of when my taste in beer started to evolve, but haven't had in years.
          I love yuengling. I just didn't mention it because it probably isn't available in his state considering they only sell it in like 13 states.
          1989 325i S50 swapped
          2007 4Runner Sport V8

Comment

Originally posted by bumada View Post
            I love yuengling. I just didn't mention it because it probably isn't available in his state considering they only sell it in like 13 states.
            Hey, you learn something new every day.
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Don't we have a beer thread?

That said, Green Flash and Stone are two of my favorites in the country. Prairie Ales here in Tulsa another fave.

However, it will likely take you a while to develop a palette that likes any of their stuff.
              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Jameson and Coke. Other wise i drink Corona w/lime and alittle pinch of salt on the first drink.It's just something i have always done.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                  Don't we have a beer thread?

That said, Green Flash and Stone are two of my favorites in the country. Prairie Ales here in Tulsa another fave.

However, it will likely take you a while to develop a palette that likes any of their stuff.

Ohhhh stone is the shit. I was just at stone right by the Padres stadium last weekend. +1 for stone.

Tapatalk
                  i love bmws

Comment

Originally posted by bumada View Post
                    Originally posted by stonea View Post
                    Hey, you learn something new every day.
                    Are they still only selling it in a few select states? I thought they had expanded. I went to college in West Virginia, a whole 7 miles from the PA boarder and they didn't sell it there back in the early 2000's. We had to drive over the state line to the beer distributer to buy it in bulk.

Maybe another good beer to try would be Shiner Bock. Dark in color, but smooth and easy to drink and likely sold in Kansas.
                    2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
                    1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
                    1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
                    1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

Hangar 24.

Orange Wheat.

I grew up in Redlands (where Hangar is located) and as a kid there were acres and acres of orange groves that we would go out and cause general mischief in. Those oranges saved my life on a couple occasions, so naturally I developed a pretty good taste for them.

Years later, I nearly lost my shit when I took my first drink and the only aftertaste was that unique flavor I only get from our local oranges. Now every time I go in a gas station that's 100+ miles away I try to find one, just to bring me back home for a couple minutes :D

Also it's a really smooth beer, easy to drink, and if you like oranges you will like this beer. Not over orangy (the local restaurants mix it half and half with real orange juice for that) but just enough to be enjoyable as a beer. The thing with craft beers in my opinion, is balance. You can't have too much of any one thing or it will over power the rest of the flavors. Lagunitas Lil Sumpin is a great example of a beer with strong taste but a good balance.

Comment

Ask the bartender for a prairie fire. You'll love it

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post

So true, I remember when I was young trying a Guinness and thinking it was completely disgusting.

Tried it again in recent years after enjoying "real beers", and actually found it to be pretty good.
                          No E30 Club
                          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I'm liking where this thread is going [emoji482][emoji481][emoji482]

Tapatalk
                            i love bmws

Comment

Well.... there's so many out there - try a bit of everything, you'll find your 'tastes'...

That said, you can't beat an almost ice-cold Summer Shandy when it's boiling hot out.

These are more common but they're my go-to's because they're solid beers and easy to find - Fat Tire (New Belgium) and Dos XX Amber.
                              -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                              '95 525iT
                              '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                              '98 Disco 1

Comment

fucking fire ball.
                                shots and shots of it.
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                                X