Avoid eBay sport seats by zoomzoomzoom-ing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoid eBay sport seats by zoomzoomzoom-ing

I’m hesitant to post this, because I don’t like leaving bad reviews, but since I looked for reviews like this before I made my purchase and didn’t find any, I want other potential buyers to know what they’re getting into.

About two months ago (Feb 9, 2012) I purchased a pair of e30 sport seats on eBay from member Steven Sperling (“zoomzoomzoom-ing”) to replace the “comfort” seats in my 325iX. You’ve probably seen his listings if you’ve searched for e30 seats; they’re the ones describing his seats as “re-manufactured to BMW specifications” and “beautiful”. I attached a screenshot of the listing at the bottom of this post. I paid $700 with shipping, which is significantly more than a used pair off the forums, on the this assurance.

I received the seats on Feb 21, since he apparently builds the seats to order and I’d added in heating elements. When I received them, they were not packaged particularly well; they were simply encased in plastic trash bags and wedged in a big box. Upon taking them out it was immediately apparent that the right side of the driver’s seat was tilted farther back than the left; the entire backrest was kilted sideways as though a heavy person had slammed into it repeatedly. I sent an email and photo to Steven, who insisted that it had been tested thoroughly and must have been damaged in shipping. Although they were packaged poorly, I don’t see how that particular fault could have happened, but whatever. He filed a claim with FedEx, and I shipped the seat back to him on Feb 23rd for replacement.

The seat arrived back at his shop on March 1, and it took until March 12th for him to ship a replacement. I received the second seat March 16th and installed it the following day. Unfortunately, although the backrest on this seat was straight, it had a number of other faults. The most glaring of these was that there is a significant amount of play in the recline mechanism; the backrest shifts back and forth 2”, which is immediately apparent to both my wife and myself when driving. In addition, the interior mechanism covers are rusty and covered in flaking white paint, the front thigh bolster is loose due to a broken clip, and the seat pistons – which the ad specifically states are replaced – were old and dirty.

Youtube video (can't seem to embed right):
    This is a video showing the defects in one of the e30 sport seats I purchased from Steven Sperling (zoomzoomzoom-ing) on eBay. It is apparent that his seats...

I sent another email back to Steven on March 18th, politely explaining all this along with photo and HD video documentation. Due to a family emergency on his end he didn’t respond to me until March 27th, when his entire response was “I trust my guys judgment in that they replaced the seat with one that is in good working order. The pistons were only replaced if there was a reason to do so. The seat was tested and was found to be fully functional before shipping. The seats are 20 + years old.”

This post is already longer than I meant it to be, so I’ll finish quickly. I sent one more polite email back telling him that I was disappointed in his response dismissing my concerns, which were both documented and politely presented. The defects I’d noted were functional, not minor cosmetics, and were in direct violation of his listing. After this he just brushed me off. Unfortunately 45 days had passed by this point, and neither eBay nor PayPal will even consider a buyer protection case after that deadline. My fault for not initiating one sooner, but I thought I could work this out with the seller.

TL;DR: The seats zoomzoomzoom-ing sells are not remanufactured as he claims. They are new covers over old frames that do not appear to be checked or refurbished. Two of the three seats I received had significant mechanical defects that interfere with driving, and he is not willing to work with me to get a proper set of good-condition seats. I am happy to provide additional information if anyone’s interested.

Listing screenshot; note description of "remanufactured" in Item Specifics:
    Last edited by drtwofish; 04-07-2012, 04:03 AM. Reason: Title change

Dude, that seriously blows. I've seen that guys listings on ebay. I'd email him a link to the thread you just posted. Maybe if he sees this & realizes that he just alienated one of the biggest e30 communities he will reconsider his "customer service"

-MM

Comment

fial

Comment

what a dick i hate for this to happen to you. happened to me with "seat reupholstered " some douche on ebay

Comment

Thanks for the support, guys. I may well send him a link to this...

Comment

I've been screwed over by this guy too. td325 helped me a lot in correcting his issues but ultimately it wasn't worth the headache.

he just grabs junk yards seats, resprays them if they have rust on them and slaps upholstery on it.

the guy is a hack and a liar period. his upholstery maybe good but its not his doing

Comment

I'm amazed his feedback is so good and I didn't come across more complaints before I ordered the seats. Hopefully this thread can help the next poor fool.

Comment

This is shitty. I was looking at some of his listings for just the upholstery replacements. The price seemed okay for new vinyl upholstery. But I don't think I will buy from him after seeing this. He has cardinal too... its sad and it sucks that he could be doing something very useful for this community if he wasn't suck a turd.

op. If you are handy with tinkering small mechanics, i could probably explain to you how to fix most, if not all, of the problems with your seat. Then you could at least enjoy it. I might have a couple of spare parts too.
                Last edited by badvibrations; 04-06-2012, 06:45 PM. Reason: dEr-P

Equal rights should be all or nothing, not picked and chosen based on what's convenient for ones personal agenda.

Comment

Thanks for posting.

I'd considered buying a set of his seats, but I won't now.

Comment

Originally posted by badvibrations View Post
                    This is shitty. I was looking at some of his listings for just the upholstery replacements. The price seemed okay for new vinyl upholstery. But I don't think I will buy from him after seeing this. He has cardinal too... its sad and it sucks that he could be doing something very useful for this community if he wasn't suck a turd.

op. If you are handy with tinkering small mechanics, i could probably explain to you how to fix most, if not all, of the problems with your seat. Then you could at least enjoy it. I might have a couple of spare parts too.
                    badvibrations, thank you very much. I haven't worked on seats before, but I'm fairly handy and would appreciate any help you can offer. It appears as though one of the catch pieces in the tilt-forward function (for the coupe) is worn, if that makes any sense. It doesn't explain all the play, but it's all I can see without taking it all apart.

It really is too bad that it turned out this way - Steven claims to run a BMW restoration shop, and could have been a great resource for the community. I was perfectly willing to pay extra for a truly good pair of seats. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
                      Thanks for posting.

I'd considered buying a set of his seats, but I won't now.
                      You're welcome. It's a small consolation if I can help others from repeating my mistake.

Comment

how is this guy's track record SO GOOD?
                        i guess photos are mad deceiving

Comment

He must be in cahoots with Vlad...

Sorry to hear about this :|
                          Best of luck on refurbishing them yourself! $700 bucks man.. That's murder money for me..

Comment

I'd like to see the OP send him this link...

Hopefully the seller will join up and explain.
                            No E30 Club
                            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I have seen his eBay listings and had him on my list of options for my interior restoration. drtwofish, hopefully what you lost in cash will be more than exceeded in good karma by posting this for everyone to see.
                              Originally posted by kronus
                              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                              X