Subframe bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subframe bushings

I'm looking to take my e30 away from daily street usage into heavy track and weekend duty.

In the process of reinforcing the shit out of my front/rear subframes and all the other items that go with it I'm debating which route to go with bushings. I am considering 95A bushings from either Garagistic or AKG. The general quality in terms of appearance looks better from AKG and they seem to have a good rep, but are they worth the premium?

Also, raised or stock subframe setup? I'm on sport springs atm but will be switching to ground controls and going to about race spring height next winter. I'm adding the adjustment kit during all this reinforcement so I'm thinking the combination of a raised subframe and the kit would put me in an ideal range for adjustments.
    1990 332i, 4 door
    2008 KTM 990 Superduke
    2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
    2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

The studs, 12mm spacers and nuts, are used to keep the diff at the same original height while the subframe is raised 12mm. Keeping the angle of the driveshaft exactly as stock. Also, the studs being Red Loctited into the diff, it makes installation of the diff a snap as the studs easily align into the subframe. No more fiddling around.

The Motorsport subframes' raised mounting points were steel and welded. Not urethane or delrin. They are undestructible. No risk of bad urethane formulation or mix. No possible movement. No possible sliding of the delrin bushing.

Last edited by Massive Lee; 01-26-2017, 10:22 PM.
    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

If I was building an E30 race car, Lee's solid mounts are what I'd choose.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

BTW The DTM subframe in the picture is a brand new unit (New Old Stock) that I had the chance to inspect and measure. The two long subframe pins are not steel. They are hyper lightweight TITANIUM... ;-)

massivebrakes.com

Comment

I went with Garagistic because they had a massive sale back in Oct/Nov. Also I've been happy with their other products and customer support in the past. I can't say for sure regarding the quality of the bushings but I noticed the AKG bushings have channels cut into them to hold more lube.

It's hard to say if you should go for the raised or stock subframe bushings without knowing your final settings. I would get an alignment done now to see where your parameters are right now. Estimate where you want your final height to be and go from there. Since you are on coilovers I think you can accommodate either setup.

Also condorspeed shop has stackable rear spring pads that can correct up to 15mm. Might be something to look into.

Off topic but are you in Vancouver USA or Canada?

Comment

The longitudinal channels in the bushings are used to help mounting. If you look at the empty cylinders at each end of your subframe, you will see notches. ;-)

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Working...
            X