Blew through the rear shock mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blew through the rear shock mount

Looks like I had some sort of faulty rear shock mount and my rear shock mount broke, and sent my rear shock right through the unibody. So now where the shock mount would normally go on the unibody is destroyed.

I know this happens on race cars without enforced rear shock mounts when they use a real coilover setup in the rear. But other than that, how does one go about fixing this? Autobody shop I presume? Does anyone have experience with this?
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

new part or fabrication has to be welded in.

This BMW E30 E36 E46 Z3 Z4 rear shock tower mount repair plate welds onto the rear shock tower to repair it after a failure. Made in USA.

i think they still sell the panel too from BMW but I don't know how much that costs. One of mine blew out last year and I just ended up having them reinforce/redo both sides.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
      new part or fabrication has to be welded in.

This BMW E30 E36 E46 Z3 Z4 rear shock tower mount repair plate welds onto the rear shock tower to repair it after a failure. Made in USA.

i think they still sell the panel too from BMW but I don't know how much that costs. One of mine blew out last year and I just ended up having them reinforce/redo both sides.
      Thanks for the helpful post! Was it a costly repair bill from the shop that repaired it?
      Originally posted by TSI
      ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
      OEM+

Comment

it wasn't cheap. a lot of aligning and cutting + welding in a confined space + paint.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X